AMY'S BACK!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You don't think Amy's inflections are a bit Lauryn-esque?

Someone needs to go back to "The Miseducation Of..." and peep the similarities. It's really not all that crazy though I'd say Amy draws from a lot of folks, Lauryn just potentially being one of them.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

she used to look nice

WHATTTTT????? She was beautiful , damn drugs can really mess up your looks big time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

she used to look nice

WHATTTTT????? She was beautiful , damn drugs can really mess up your looks big time.

Beautiful? lets not go to far now.

she used to look nice

True, just got a little carried away after seeing the other pic just before. But still she was definitely hot.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

haha word. her grill was always busted but she was much better looking before the drugs.

(I sense this thread turning into one of the reasons girls don't poast here!).

• Options
    I wouldn't say her grill is that busted. It's just long.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If she was in the club, would u say...."Damn, who is that?"

If she was in the club, would u say...."Damn, who is that?"
    Depends on his blood alcohol level?
    (and I think Rootless is right)

• Options
    No, I'd prolly say "Why the long face pal?"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a ladyfriend told me shes feelin the first album more than the last?

critique pleez

From the usually staid New Yorker:

I bought Winehouse???s first album, ???Frank,??? in 2004 at a Heathrow Airport music kiosk. I listened to it on the plane home and dropped it in a garbage can on the way to baggage claim.

That critic is also an idiot, comparing Winehouse to L. Hill and SIA[/b]...

ah yes the semi-annual SFJ clown thread. he has defenders on here as I recall.

^^^^ASS-HURT ROCKIST

don't get me wrong. it is not I who rides for the one SFJ.

matter of fact I take particular umbrage at his sloppy reporting. after all was it not SFJ that misidentified Raekwon as "Rakwon"? that's a little too close to dissing Cappadonna for my tastes. I could be misattributing this quote however.

don't get me wrong. it is not I who rides for the one SFJ.

I know--I was referring to those who are mad at him.

matter of fact I take particular umbrage at his sloppy reporting. after all was it not SFJ that misidentified Raekwon as "Rakwon"? that's a little too close to dissing Cappadonna for my tastes. I could be misattributing this quote however.

Typical sloppy SoulStrut reportage--that was the one Tom Breihan.

Further proof we need an ombudsman in this piece.

• They tried to make me go to the dentist, I said "No, no no."

That anyone would confuse the two is

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    though I'd say Amy draws from Lee Dorsey.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    though I'd say Amy draws from Lee Dorsey.

nah

Esther Phillips + bad, poor man's, Ann Sexton moves=Amy

lol. yeah, a real facemelter.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DIRTY PIRATE HOOKER

Don't be asshurt that you can't tell your bylines apart

Don't be asshurt that you can't tell your bylines apart

hahaha SFJ I suppose I read sometimes, since I pick up the New Yorker every other month or so, though I can't say dude has ever made a particular impression on me.

But the other dude I know solely from that time he was put on blast on the Strut re: Rakwon. That was a hilarious episode.

I have no particular opinion of either one apart from that. Though I understand there's certain folls who disapprove of rock writers trying to cover hip-hop.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Someone needs to go back to "The Miseducation Of..." and peep the similarities. It's really not all that crazy though I'd say Amy draws from a lot of folks, Lauryn just potentially being one of them.

You think she draws from Jewel too? That's in the article as well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

she used to look nice

yeah thick Amy was a faaaar better look.

and that was only last year!

she didn't become "unmasturbatable" until last summer, really

" The singing style heard on ???Frank??? started years ago???Lauryn Hill, the dopey singer-songwriter Jewel, and Joni Mitchell are all glossed in this approach???and has filtered down through singers like Nelly Furtado, Winehouse, and a currently rising star, Sia. (???Frank??? sounds a bit like a drunken Furtado working a piano bar without the benefit of a decent songbook.) This style provides a way of singing derivations of black music without resembling modern R. & B. In fact, avoiding the sound of current R. & B. may be its guiding principle. White singers generally seem to use it more than black singers, though it is open to anyone who wants to use its limited vocabulary."

If my reading comprehension is correct, the suggestion here is that Winehouse, on her first album, drew on a singing style that is an amalgam of several earlier styles, including Hill, Jewel and Mitchell's, and has become more recently popular among a younger gen of singers, including Winehouse but also Sia and Nelly Furtado.

What exactly is getting your knickers in a twist?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

" The singing style heard on ???Frank??? started years ago???Lauryn Hill, the dopey singer-songwriter Jewel, and Joni Mitchell are all glossed in this approach???and has filtered down through singers like Nelly Furtado, Winehouse, and a currently rising star, Sia. (???Frank??? sounds a bit like a drunken Furtado working a piano bar without the benefit of a decent songbook.) This style provides a way of singing derivations of black music without resembling modern R. & B. In fact, avoiding the sound of current R. & B. may be its guiding principle. White singers generally seem to use it more than black singers, though it is open to anyone who wants to use its limited vocabulary."

If my reading comprehension is correct, the suggestion here is that Winehouse, on her first album, drew on a singing style that is an amalgam of several earlier styles, including Hill, Jewel and Mitchell's, and has become more recently popular among a younger gen of singers, including Winehouse but also Sia and Nelly Furtado.

What exactly is getting your knickers in a twist?

My draws are straight.

That shit's completely inaccurate. I can see L. Hill as a starting point, but the rest... Dude's pulling names out his ass.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Esther Phillips + fake Jamaican accent she learned from reruns of In Living Color[/b]=Amy