CL Smooth

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
......is still putting out singles. I'm happy for him that he can still get work, but really, he's never been good.CL Smooth = Rakim Karaoke

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I never really understood a word of what dude was saying, but I always liked his ish. My favorite line from him is from "TROY": "And the grandpappy and the happy, zippy zippy, tippy tippy, when they reminisce over you, for real."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ......is still putting out singles. I'm happy for him that he can still get work, but really, he's never been good.

CL Smooth = Rakim Karaoke

I FOR ONE CALL BULLSHIT[/b].

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ......is still putting out singles. I'm happy for him that he can still get work, but really, he's never been good.

Putting out singles ≠ Work

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

He's never been good? That's blasphemy. Sure, his offerings sans-Pete Rock have been weak, but the classic Mecca shit was, is, and always will be dope. His flow is impeccable.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    We've had this discussion before, and it also involved Guru.

"And the grandpappy and the happy, zippy zippy, tippy tippy, when they reminisce over you, for real."

• CL killed it on "Mecca...". You can't say dude was no good. "Main Ingredient"...not so much.

• SupacatSupacat 46 Posts
    CL, Guru, Nice & Smooth, Heavy D, Q-Tip ... I guess it's an age thing. When hip-hop took over my world in the late 80ties / early 90ties, I used to listen to those guys 24/7 and they will always be in my personal favourite MC list. Maybe they were never good cmpared to today's standard but i couldn't care less. It's mostly the voice that lifts me up. I even ride for Lord Jamar !

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    CL Smooth's wordplay cant be fusked w/.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    CL, Guru, Nice & Smooth, Heavy D, Q-Tip ... I guess it's an age thing. When hip-hop took over my world in the late 80ties / early 90ties, I used to listen to those guys 24/7 and they will always be in my personal favourite MC list. Maybe they were never good cmpared to today's standard but i couldn't care less. It's mostly the voice that lifts me up. I even ride for Lord Jamar !

well, considering Lord Jamar is far superior as an MC to the others you listed, I don't see why you have to qualify that admission with an "even" and a "!"

• Maybe they were never good cmpared to today's standard

When did this happen?

• Options
    I even ride for Lord Jamar

Lord Jamar is criminally slept on.

• Options
    CL Smooth's wordplay cant be fusked w/.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm not really sure what you want out of an emcee if CL doesn't satisfy your requirements for "good".

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    if cl was never with pete would you still have listened to him?

if CL was never with Pete would you still have listened to him?

No question.

I even ride for Lord Jamar

Lord Jamar is criminally slept on.

As much as i ride for Lord Jamar, he holds his own place amongst the "slept on" MC's. Dude has a stiff delivery compared to Derek and Puba, but that contrast is what i feel is part of the magic....ala Ced Gee to Kool Kieth or DMC to Run.
    Jamar was the pointguard where Puba and X were the scorers.

No hijack....back to CL Smooth..

Voice,vocab,flow,wordplay,politics,concepts,imagination.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Maybe I just don't like his voice, because I wouldn't go as far as to say his raps suck. But I wouldn't listen to him if it wasn't for Pete Rock beats and even then it's hard.

• puppup 133 Posts
    are you people really hating on CL?

T.R.O.Y. , 'nuff said.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I recently saw a dvd of some hip hop and peace festival in canada. CL held it down on his own and killed it!

He's what i would call a sublime subtle MC... his wordplay, rimes, flow, delivery etc aint all in your face and easy to catch in one listen but over time his depth and quality is revealed. Also, the older I get the more his shit resonates with me. I was recently pumping Main Ingredient and lots of stuff that went over my head when i was 15 was hitting the spot nowadays...

I would also say, yes Pete Rock is a legend, but CL complimented his beats and style just as much as PR did for him. I mean Ive heard otehr MCs over PR beats...and they dont sound as good or fit as well as CL...

my 5 cents....

• CL, Guru, Nice & Smooth, Heavy D, Q-Tip ... I guess it's an age thing. When hip-hop took over my world in the late 80ties / early 90ties, I used to listen to those guys 24/7 and they will always be in my personal favourite MC list. Maybe they were never good cmpared to today's standard but i couldn't care less. It's mostly the voice that lifts me up. I even ride for Lord Jamar !

well, considering Lord Jamar is far superior as an MC to the others you listed, I don't see why you have to qualify that admission with an "even" and a "!"
    Lord Jamar better than Q-Tip?? No fuckin way! He wasn't even the nicest in his crew!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Lord Jamar better than Q-Tip?? No fuckin way! He wasn't even the nicest in his crew!

u didnt catch the joke