Cratediggers.com ????? WTF??

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Come on Crink admit you only got into raer records because YOU ARE A FAILED BEATMAKER. You thought raer records would make better beats and improve your flow. But they didn't!

• CR8DGRSCR8DGRS 76 Posts
    So you've lost thousands of dollars trying to run a site selling dollar records and recycling "dangerous" used vinyl... and you've been collecting records since the 90's but by your own admission know very little about them. This just doesn't make any kind of sense. Not even for by soul strut standards. What is in this for you?

Maybe because you don't know the whole story.

I didn't loose thousand when selling dollar bin records - I made money. I had a decent amount of clients and regulars who purchased from me.

The thousands lost - is more like - what has been invested to get the site to what you see today.

What's in it for me? To give something to a culture that I love, and believe in.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    So you've lost thousands of dollars trying to run a site selling dollar records and recycling "dangerous" used vinyl... and you've been collecting records since the 90's but by your own admission know very little about them. This just doesn't make any kind of sense. Not even for by soul strut standards. What is in this for you?

Sorry to be debbie downer but crinkle hit the nail on the head, ^^^ this is the million dollar question. Cratediggers.biz and actually all of CR8DGRS responses, whether he is Brix Bearbrick or not, stinks of mega failure trustafarian time wasting.

Sigh, Mr. Bearbrick, just take it to eBay and see if you can AT LEAST run and open a successful (read profitable) eBay store listing "mint dusty" records at .99 cents a piece. See if you can get your friends to consign stuff with you. "Recycle" some vinyl and see how the bowls sell. If you can at least turn a profit then maybe you should invest some time in developing your database driven architecture to slang Montavani and Neil Diamond. Give me a Frickin' break, sorry dude.

If you can't even handle creating a decent functional site and buzz during a 5 year period with whatever funds and time you've wasted I don't know what to say. I really question your whole drive, but hey it's your life/reality, we're just living in it LULZZZZZ.

Good luck, you're going to need it! I'm bowing out of this amazing thread.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The best way to get something up to be an alternative to ebay would to somehow involve a partnership with someone like Discogs or GEMM.

If I was Raj and wanted to take this site to the next level. I would step to Discog and form a corporation. I'd hire a few people with the needed backgrounds for the biz and I would then step to some major world dealers. Offering them shares in the corp to sell through the biz.

I'd take 6-12 months just building up the site. Making sure the nobody could fuck the site as far as resources go (It's all about information) Massive discography, label scan's, reviews, forums, etc. One of the beauties is that, site member's help build up the database and content the whole time.

I would offer incentives for people to sell. Example like, if they sell records on the site and they generate the site money through ads. Give them a portion of the ad revenue they create.

Once the site was getting pretty damn big, I would step to a company that was trying to take on Paypal. Maybe even step to google checkout or something and then I would drop the auction portion of the site.

I think somewhere down the line I would try to bring in indie labels and indie distribution. Where they would sell direct to the consumer thru the site with physical product & online music and you would get a small fraction of the sale.

And after all that. I would somehow figure out a way to offer music e-tickets to concerts & shows and charge a small faction of the service fee that's ticket master charges. FUCK THOSE ASS CLOWNS!!!

If you build it. They will come!!!!

This is not far off from what I intended. I had to start somewhere. It took a lot of time to get to this point. Thus far, I have financed the project myself as well as everything else.

It's not something you can just decide to do. Throwing money & time into it won't make it happen. You already need to be established. That's why I use Soulstrut & Discogs as an example.

Only someone who already has a decent online presence can then start the process.

Doesn't matter anyways. I'm planning on winning 15 mill in the lotto tonight and I'll just buy the strut from Raj & probably buy Discogs also and I'll do it all my damn self. I'd have a much better plan worked out mind you. What I wrote above was the first time I've thought about it.

Maybe because you don't know the whole story.

I didn't loose thousand when selling dollar bin records - I made money. I had a decent amount of clients and regulars who purchased from me.

The thousands lost - is more like - what has been invested to get the site to what you see today.

What's in it for me? To give something to a culture that I love, and believe in.

Really? You made money off of filling the niche that sandboxautomatic.com and Goodwill/Salvation army couldn't fill? GOOHWTBS!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So you've lost thousands of dollars trying to run a site selling dollar records and recycling "dangerous" used vinyl... and you've been collecting records since the 90's but by your own admission know very little about them. This just doesn't make any kind of sense. Not even by soul strut standards. What is in this for you?

The Game(TM) often confounds...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

It's not something you can just decide to do. Throwing money & time into it won't make it happen. You already need to be established. That's why I use Soulstrut & Discogs as an example.

Only someone who already has a decent online presence can then start the process.

Doesn't matter anyways. I'm planning on winning 15 mill in the lotto tonight and I'll just buy the strut from Raj & probably buy Discogs also and I'll do it all my damn self. I'd have a much better plan worked out mind you. What I wrote above was the first time I've thought about it.

Ah... that brings me back to a couple years ago when I pitched the idea to Raj. I never did hear back... whatup?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Ah... that brings me back to a couple years ago when I pitched the idea to Raj. I never did hear back... whatup?

Well, when I win tonight. I'll buy Raj out and we will make it happen.

You've always seemed like a real stand up guy. I have no doubt that a venture with you would be a success.

Well, when I win tonight. I'll buy Raj out and we will make it happen.

You've always seemed like a real stand up guy. I have no doubt that a venture with you would be a success.

Hey thanks! Likewise. Let's go Lotto!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Can I please get an "Extra Dusty" graemlin?

Can I please get an "Extra MINT[/b] Dusty" graemlin?

We obviously didn't meet the right way, and I'm obviously not an encyclopedia of rare records.

All the bickering - is getting a bit old.

When the smoke clears from demolition - here is what we are left with:

Me, willing to build you folks a site to meet your needs.

We obviously didn't meet the right way, and I'm obviously not an encyclopedia of rare records.

I still doubt you are actually Mr. Brix, btw.

Goodbye.

I still doubt you are actually Mr. Brix, btw.

Goodbye.

Good for you.

Dude, the humble servant routine gets a little old.

The reason people are being harsh with you is because there is something implictly arrogant in the endeavor of a dude who doesn't really know the game proposing to build a site that doesn't really fill any void.

It's kind of like those people who don't actually collect records but decide that they want to be DJs because it seems cool.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    I have dabbled in every element of Hip-Hop

Not that simple homie... you made a fatal mistake by showing us, the target users of your system, your ignorance on the subject. It's nearly impossible to recover from something like that which is why you MUST know your market and you NEVER publicly launch a website before it's usable. You should have done a beta run through with every type of user on your site. You would have received all the negative feedback you did here, but you would have received it privately so you could go back and make your changes. No turning back now.

I mean this to be constructive feedback... learn from your mistakes and move on. Take it into your next venture if you're so inclined. Don't go down with the sinking ship. I've been through the startup process from the beginning and believe me, I learned more from it's failure than I could have anywhere else.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    ideas i want to see for the site:

Checkout needs to be "Backpack", the more items you have in your cart the bigger your backpack gets. Real Hip Hoppaz Only

A random item to be found in the a record included with your order. Items include: crack pipe, moldy weed, IOU from premier

Radical subgenres like Head Knod Schitt, True Banger, Illy Mood Beats

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That's real talk - once a brand's tainted it's very hard to rescue it... particularly considering that you're dead set on your brand name (which, to begin with, is not very good).

I wonder why Nigel/Breaks4Days hasn't waded in on this, I would think he's got some good advice from the perspective of someone who rebranded himself online.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Not that simple homie... you made a fatal mistake by showing us, the target users of your system, your ignorance on the subject. It's nearly impossible to recover from something like that which is why you MUST know your market and you NEVER publicly launch a website before it's usable. You should have done a beta run through with every type of user on your site. You would have received all the negative feedback you did here, but you would have received it privately so you could go back and make your changes. No turning back now.

I mean this to be constructive feedback... learn from your mistakes and move on. Take it into your next venture if you're so inclined. Don't go down with the sinking ship. I've been through the startup process from the beginning and believe me, I learned more from it's failure than I could have anywhere else.

Right, because another way of looking at is this:

After you realized that your entire business model didn't work and you took your site down to redo, here is what you are left with:

A domain name that everyone thinks is corny.

Please think long and hard before relaunching and at the very least get some people who know what's up with selling records to work with you. As has been pointed out, if you are looking to sell to a niche market, you had better know that niche up and down.

I thank all of you for your time, feedback, patience, and efforts.

• It's kind of like those people who don't actually collect records but decide that they should post non-stop on a website about collecting records

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

It's kind of like those people who don't actually collect records but decide that they should post non-stop on a website about collecting records

the lifestyle is the game

It's kind of like those people who don't actually collect records but decide that they should post non-stop on a website about collecting records

the lifestyle is the game

YES!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Recycling vinyl is simple. The label needs to be cut out. The vinyl needs to be washed. And then it is ground into small bit where it can then be made into a million other products or another piece of vinyl. I am sure you prefer virgin vinyl not recycled vinyl.

This alone is unfeasible. There are people who do this, but they buy and sell records by weight. Bulk. For what amounts to a few cents a record. I wouldn't imagine it would be profitable to do it online.

I'd wager from the 1950's onwards cubic tons of records have been thrown away every month if not every week (and thousands of LPs in my own city, I've seen it with my own eyes).

If you think you can stem the tide with a half-assed business plan, you're dreaming.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Cratediggers.com needs to just end now while you figure out what really needs to be changed. Yeah, I registered real fast but now i don't know why?

As far as the ebay alternative people speak of...stop. Where else online can someone make money off of records themselves and others may not want? A discussion about this on another board detailed how common stuff like "Love unlimited", "earth wind & fire" "bar-kays".etc has been selling pretty good for some folks.

I truley doubt many here are going to log in to a site just to buy common records but then again it's becoming more and more difficult to find records in 2008.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That's real talk - once a brand's tainted it's very hard to rescue it... particularly considering that you're dead set on your brand name (which, to begin with, is not very good).

I wonder why Nigel/Breaks4Days hasn't waded in on this, I would think he's got some good advice from the perspective of someone who rebranded himself online.

Rebranding is the least of it. The brand isn't tainted - it's completely unknown. Trouble is this isn't a brand it's just a name - there is absolutely nothing behind it. Soulstrut is a brand - it has distinctive values and characteristics. Cratediggers is a delusion. Hate to say this but Mr Brix literally has no idea on this one.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

6. Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You: you can't go wrong with Al's buttery voice. Play this for the ladies and watch the panties drop, then watch yours slide off when those drums come in.