Cratediggers.com ????? WTF??

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Grading is a bad idea because unfotunately lots of sellers don't know how to do so... even very reknown ones .

How else would u know the condition?

What I meant was that records should not be cataloged by condition because what happens is that one seller's VG is another's VG+ or VG++ so in the end it would be all mismatched. Grading could be a part of an advanced filter in your search engine if you want. ebay does not provide that possibility right now. And don't forget what I mentioned about the fact that it becomes retarded when you order 2 records or more from the same seller and you're being charged full shipping prices on each item when on ebay they would be combined and cheaper.

• CR8DGRSCR8DGRS 76 Posts
    And don't forget what I mentioned about the fact that it becomes retarded when you order 2 records or more from the same seller and you're being charged full shipping prices on each item when on ebay they would be combined and cheaper.

That one can not be forgotten - one of the best points I have heard.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Your IP says you're posting from VA. Syracuse, VA?

I'm not sure how you are pulling my IP or if you are taking the website IP. If its the site IP its not hosted here in Syracuse NY.

If you have my actually computer IP - I have no clue why it would say VA other than I am surfing a free wireless signal.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'd be taking a long look at the gemm payment system too... the thing you could imrpove on from there is having a clearer end price at the end of the transaction.

• And don't forget what I mentioned about the fact that it becomes retarded when you order 2 records or more from the same seller and you're being charged full shipping prices on each item when on ebay they would be combined and cheaper.

That one can not be forgotten - one of the best points I have heard.

just an idea... and it would have to be clearly communicated to sellers.

if you're stuck on the fact that you want to charge a flat rate, have a discount system where if you buy multiple records from a similar seller, you get a escalated % discount.

but shit, after looking at that again, that's got holes in it as well. with so many variables involved in shipping, i don't think there's anyway around having a separate shipping rate.

I'm not sure how you are pulling my IP or if you are taking the website IP. If its the site IP its not hosted here in Syracuse NY.

If you have my actually computer IP - I have no clue why it would say VA other than I am surfing a free wireless signal.

Michael, I can see your IP. It's magic.

I can't resist calling you Michael Brix Bearbrick though, sorry. It has a nice ring to it.

but shit, after looking at that again, that's got holes in it as well. with so many variables involved in shipping, i don't think there's anyway around having a separate shipping rate.

Thats the truth.

• Your IP says you're posting from VA. Syracuse, VA?

free wireless network from syracuse to virginia =

I can't resist calling you Michael Brix Bearbrick though, sorry. It has a nice ring to it.

I've been called worse.

free wireless network from syracuse to virginia =

I have no idea. Can any Hax0rs fill us in on the possibility of this? Maybe someone in Syracuse Michael is jacking the signal off of has a corporate wireless card/account that they got from their office IT in VA? Do tell. No ayo on the jacking signals off though lulz....

I have no idea. Can any Hax0rs fill us in on the possibility of this? Maybe someone in Syracuse Michael is jacking the signal off of has a corporate wireless card/account that they got from their office IT in VA? Do tell. No ayo on the jacking signals off though lulz....

Who cares - I'm more concerned at fixing the problem here. I've emailed my web programmer.

What I will do is: once I get confirmation from him that reconstruction is a go. I will pull the site off line until reconstruction is complete - and give all of you a link so that you can critique progress.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    A top-shelf set of smooth fusion work from Alphonse Mouzon -- recorded with a host of excellent players from the LA scene, in a style that sits nicely with his work from the earlier part of the decade. The overall feel is smooth, but there's some nice funky undercurrents on the tunes, thanks to Al's great drum work -- and the players on the set really help keep the quality high -- as you'd guess from names that include Paul Jackson Jr, Tom Scott, Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, and Lee Ritenour. Titles include "Saving My Love For You", "I Don't Want To Lose This Feeling", "That's Right", "Everybody Party", and "Step Into The Funk".

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Grading is a bad idea because unfotunately lots of sellers don't know how to do so... even very reknown ones .

How else would u know the condition?

What I meant was that records should not be cataloged by condition because what happens is that one seller's VG is another's VG+ or VG++ so in the end it would be all mismatched. Grading could be a part of an advanced filter in your search engine if you want. ebay does not provide that possibility right now. And don't forget what I mentioned about the fact that it becomes retarded when you order 2 records or more from the same seller and you're being charged full shipping prices on each item when on ebay they would be combined and cheaper.

I think the main reason not to catalog records by condition is that absolutely noone will search for records by their condition. It is useful information to have, but don't index the records by condition because that's absolutely useless for browsing (I study library science ... I live and breath this browsing, indexing shiznatch). You want to index items using the terms folks will likely use to search with (think of the old catalog cards in library: author, title, subject).

So those browsing functions on the front page (dusty, extra dusty ...) are absolutely useless. Noone will use them or take them seriously at all. And are you limited to just four records per category? Or is that all you've put in so far? Because if you can only see four per category, it's completely wasted space.

If people are going to browse, they'll likely want to do it by genre, with the records stored alphabetically by artist (like most record stores). But one of the advantages of having an all record auction site is that you won't be limited to just one type of organization. Because the metadata for each item will be the same (and you can go into some detail), you can set up all sorts of customizable browsing (by year, artist, genre, producer, label, format, etc). Hell, take a look at some of Dustygroove's newer functionality for some ideas.

The current search function feels a little messy. I'm in agreement with the "lose Flash" thing. It might be a lot of work, but a combo with just HTML, CSS, a little JavaScript, and, say, PHP and MySQL to deal with the data would probably work a lot smoother.

I admire your energy, but you really have to think this through from the user's perspective if you want it to take off.

I think the main reason not to catalog records by condition is that absolutely noone will search for records by their condition. It is useful information to have, but don't index the records by condition because that's absolutely useless for browsing (I study library science ... I live and breath this browsing, indexing shiznatch). You want to index items using the terms folks will likely use to search with (think of the old catalog cards in library: author, title, subject).

So those browsing functions on the front page (dusty, extra dusty ...) are absolutely useless. Noone will use them or take them seriously at all. And are you limited to just four records per category? Or is that all you've put in so far? Because if you can only see four per category, it's completely wasted space.

If people are going to browse, they'll likely want to do it by genre, with the records stored alphabetically by artist (like most record stores). But one of the advantages of having an all record auction site is that you won't be limited to just one type of organization. Because the metadata for each item will be the same (and you can go into some detail), you can set up all sorts of customizable browsing (by year, artist, genre, producer, label, format, etc). Hell, take a look at some of Dustygroove's newer functionality for some ideas.

The current search function feels a little messy. I'm in agreement with the "lose Flash" thing. It might be a lot of work, but a combo with just HTML, CSS, a little JavaScript, and, say, PHP and MySQL to deal with the data would probably work a lot smoother.

I admire your energy, but you really have to think this through from the user's perspective if you want it to take off.

Thanks - that is great feedback.

Ditch the flash.

Make it easy to use.

Do away with your ridiculous intro.

I can't think of anything else. Good luck Mr. Bearbrick.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    What the....

Is this some kind of a joke(public tv type stuff?!?!?)

Welcome to the strut Crate..You seem like a real stand up dude and despite all the back and fourth, you handled yourself well!!

Peace,
    Adrian

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    My advice would be to make a combination of ebay and gemm. Use gemm's advanced search page for ideas on how to build your metadata and make your site searchable/browsable.

Welcome to the strut Crate..You seem like a real stand up dude and despite all the back and fourth, you handled yourself well!!

Peace,
    Adrian

Thanks.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    rare
    bulk

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    So Ive been doing some reading in your greencr8 area. You say you recycle them but you don't say how. Are you just storing them?

I would like to add that tho the thought is nice, its not like records are light bulbs or thermometers right?

I think ultimately the Real Problem with Scratched, Broken or Moldy Records is that Not Enough of them make it TO the Garbage.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    at least from a cratediggers perspective

So Ive been doing some reading in your greencr8 area. You say you recycle them but you don't say how. Are you just storing them?

I would like to add that tho the thought is nice, its not like records are light bulbs or thermometers right?

I think ultimately the Real Problem with Scratched, Broken or Moldy Records is that Not Enough of them make it TO the Garbage.

The problem comes into play - when they end up in the garbage. We need to eliminate that. A vinyl records broken, scratched, etc. Can be made into a new record or about a million other products.

Vinyl is pure PVC. PVC retains in properties which makes it a perfect material for recycling.

When it is thrown in the garbage - the chemical composite never breaks down, and it is toxic to our environment.

So what do you do with them? Make bowls? How about broken records?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    amen brother

the strongest aspect of your site if you ask me
    might be a little off the wall for most record heads, but get them fools thinking

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    So what do you do with them? Make bowls? How about broken records?

it owould be dope if you could turn montovanis into placebo reissues

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Palebo is one... anymore?

This is the one you need....

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    is it just me or is everyone reading his posts in his voice?

hahaha, me too!

i respect dude's perseverance, especially here. tough crowd.

• Options
    cosign, nice dude.