Cratediggers.com ????? WTF??

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I don't mean to be discouraging and you've probably thought about this already, but here is a major problem I see with your site:

Although the idea of free listing is cool, what sellers are more interested in doing is maximizing sale price, which happens by letting the market drive up the price ala ebay. Paying a small percentage fee when you're getting outrageous sums for records isn't that big of a deal. Also, there are already at least 3 or 4 popular "buy it now" sites that get good traffic and don't take a big chunk of money for listing fees. What is your plan to compete with these other options? You will need HEAVY traffic in order to be considered as a viable option. Where are you advertising your site?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    But as anyone who digs should know you have to dig threw common stock to find the rare goods. I added the common stock - I was leaving it up to true diggers to place the gemms.

Also this doesn't really make any sense. You should take those crappy records off. Your site is clearly marketed (I think) towards collectors who are looking for rare records. Looking through crap is a DOWNSIDE to shopping in the thrift shops, it should not be a marketing ploy. If you want people to take your site seriously you need to talk to some dealers and get them to put some quality stuff up there.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Seriously though, at this point THE ONLY new record site that's needed is an auction site strictly for records run by people who actually have a clue. That's it, that's all.

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    But as anyone who digs should know you have to dig threw common stock to find the rare goods. I added the common stock - I was leaving it up to true diggers to place the gemms.

Also this doesn't really make any sense. You should take those crappy records off. Your site is clearly marketed (I think) towards collectors who are looking for rare records. Looking through crap is a DOWNSIDE to shopping in the thrift shops, it should not be a marketing ploy. If you want people to take your site seriously you need to talk to some dealers and get them to put some quality stuff up there.

you guys are missing the point. he's trying to recreate the "experience" of digging. like maybe he should throw a rat carcass or some mold up for sale too. and like theres a raer on there, but when u click on it your shopping cart says "OH, THIS ONE, THIS ONE'S NOT FOR SALE..."

you guys are missing the point. he's trying to recreate the "experience" of digging. like maybe he should throw a rat carcass or some mold up for sale too. and like theres a raer on there, but when u click on it your shopping cart says "OH, THIS ONE, THIS ONE'S NOT FOR SALE..."

HAHAHAHA

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Please just start with a real record store in one of your distribution locations, then we can all come and digg your gemms out of the cratez.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    he's trying to recreate the "experience" of digging. like maybe he should throw a rat carcass or some mold up for sale too. and like theres a raer on there, but when u click on it your shopping cart says "OH, THIS ONE, THIS ONE'S NOT FOR SALE..."

THE COUNTS - "WHAT'S UP FRONT THAT COUNTS" SLEEVE ONLY: $7

KAY GARDNER - MOONCIRCLES - ILL RAER FREAK FOLK FLUTE STABS: $27.46

AFRIQUE - SOUL MAKOOSA REISSUE LP IN MICHAEL MARTIN MURPHEY "WILDFIRE" SLEEVE: $12

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

AFRIQUE - SOUL MAKOOSA REISSUE LP IN MICHAEL MARTIN MURPHEY "WILDFIRE" SLEEVE: $12

HOW DO YOU TELL IF THIS IS A REISSUE OR NOT?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

HA!

The criticism has been harsh. Sadly, though, not harsh enough.

Stop, Mr Brix, have a complete rethink or, better still, find another idea and leave this one well alone. Improved functionality and design will not save this tangle of half-formed ideas from dragging you and your money down with it. You have no real business concept here and futhermore not much idea of your market either.

I sincerely admire your resolve and your energy but your talents would be better focused elsewhere. This one's a dead horse and - I say this both as a digger and in a professional capacity - you should cease the flogging immediately.

If not sooner.

this tangle of half-formed ideas

You're being far too generous.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Seriously though, at this point THE ONLY new record site that's needed is an auction site strictly for records run by people who actually have a clue. That's it, that's all.

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME.
    They haven't come yet......

Record Trader

Yikes.

• CR8DGRSCR8DGRS 76 Posts
    Like I said before - you can tare it apart all day long - and tell me how much I missed the mark. Your not going to discourage me from making this work, and when it's right - you'll all be happy. It's not about the money - I've lost thousands, and will go on loosing thousands - thats what I do. This is about making an effective alternative for CrateDiggers. A spot you all feel comfortable going to that you can claim as your own.

It's not that I didn't do any market research - it's that it was done in the wrong place.

All you act like changes can't be made and I am stuck on what I have here. I never settle, I'm open to anything, and I work hard. I never thought for one second that this site is complete. My intention was to get it out there to turn it into what it needs to be. This is BETA.

You tell me what functions you think are most important. We will all decide on a final list - and with that I will get Ed to start on it. Within a month or two - it should be on another level.

From what has been said - this is what I like:
    - vinyl only
    - auction based or optional

Now let's add to that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've lost thousands, and will go on loosing thousands - thats what I do

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    you need more pee smell.

Let's get serious here - all jokes aside. Let's make it happen.

I gotta say I admire your perseverance. If I were in your shoes I would've told half of us(including myself) to f*ck off.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that you think we can help your business improve you would of done just that. I don't know what to think about that. All I can say is I'd like to see what your site looks like in a couple of months...

That doesn't get anyone anywhere.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Let's get serious here - all jokes aside. Let's make it happen.

I respect your resolve.

Honestly, the best thing you can do, is spin this into a closed (non-ebay) auction site dedicated to records, and records only. People have been clammoring for this for years. Right now, I'm not really seeing the point of this otherwise or how it can becomre profitible for you, and a tool that people can use. And to be honest, this site is the heart of your audience.

I'm a "marketing" dude so take this for what it's worth.

Otherwise I don't really see where this can go.

Your heart is in the right place, but to hear that you're losing thousands makes me cringe.

Turn this ship around!

I respect your resolve.

Honestly, the best thing you can do, is spin this into a closed (non-ebay) auction site dedicated to records, and records only. People have been clammoring for this for years. Right now, I'm not really seeing the point of this otherwise or how it can becomre profitible for you, and a tool that people can use. And to be honest, this site is the heart of your audience.

I'm a "marketing" dude so take this for what it's worth.

Otherwise I don't really see where this can go.

Your heart is in the right place, but to hear that you're losing thousands makes me cringe.

Turn this ship around!

Ok. That's where we start. A closed (non-ebay) auction site dedicated to records, and records only.

with no listing fees.

I've lost thousands, and will go on loosing thousands - thats what I do.

Are you in any way related to this man?:

You know this guy still hasn't sold all that crap...

You know this guy still hasn't sold all that crap...

This guy didn't have all you.

• I still think it needs a new name to give it a broader appeal...

I dont really use ebay so I dont really have too many suggestions like that.

Peace,

Dress

The thing that ebay has a one up from on you, is the brand equity, trust, organization, and foundation.

You would need to reach out to records stores, dealers, and sites like this to gain interest. People will be skeptical to put up big price items because of the global reach of ebay seems so easy, so you would need to really get your lobby game dialed.

I think it's possible though.

The name stays - that is one thing I refuse to budge on.

The thing that ebay has a one up from on you, is the brand equity, trust, organization, and foundation.

You would need to reach out to records stores, dealers, and sites like this to gain interest. People will be skeptical to put up big price items because of the global reach of ebay seems so easy, so you would need to really get your lobby game dialed.

I think it's possible though.

Anything is possible

And I agree the name is working against you to get a broader appeal from the crusty mono audiophile dudes.

Cratediggers is so aligned with hip-hop, that it would really repel these dudes, who are in truth the biggest spenders and largest population of record collectros.

The name stays - that is one thing I refuse to budge on.
    If the site is gona be called Cratediggers.com you might as well just sell records that have samples on them (which btw has already been done by other sites) ...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Honestly, the best thing you can do, is spin this into a closed (non-ebay) auction site dedicated to records, and records only. People have been clammoring for this for years.

Yep, whomever cracks that will eventually become a multimillionaire after eating shit for a few years in the beginning (as with most business ventures).

...and Brix, I gotta applaud you for coming on here all cool, calm, & collected. It's really refreshing since most cats would be on some e-thug shit. I wish you luck.