deluxe edition cd's

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Last night while surfing the web I saw their was a deluxe edition of the cars first album and it featured a demo version of the album (pretty cool). I know beck has one for odelay. The best one I've seen and bought has been. any other good ones out there?

Comments

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Motown did some good ones. What's Going On, I Need You, Here My Dear etc

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The deluxe re-ish's of the first 2 Pretenders LP's are nice, lots of B-sides, demos and live tracks. And the deluxe "3 Ft High & Rising" had some nice b-sides and stuff.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

UltraMagnetic MC's Critical Beatdown [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

1. Watch Me Now (Album Version)
    2. Ease Back (Album Version)
    3. Ego Trippin' (Original 12 Version) (Album Version)
    4. Moe Luv's Theme (Album Version)
    5. Kool Keith Housing Things (Album Version)
    6. Traveling At The Speed Of Thought (Remix) (Album Version)
    7. Feelin' It (Album Version)
    8. One Minute Less (Album Version)
    9. Ain't It Good To You (Album Version)
    10. Funky (Remix) (Album Version)
    11. Give The Drummer Some (Album Version)
    12. Break North (Album Version)
    13. Critical Beatdown (Album Version)
    14. When I Burn (Album Version)
    15. Ced-gee (Delta Force One) (Album Version)
    16. Funky (Original 12 Version) (Album Version)
    17. Bait (Original Full Length) (Album Version)
    18. A Chorus Line (Original 12" Version featuring Tim Dog) (Album Version)
    19. Traveling At The Speed Of Thought (Hip House Club Mix) (Album Version)
    20. Ego Trippin' (Bonus Beats) (Album Version)
    21. Mentally Mad (Original 12 Version) (Album Version)

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Funny you should mention this, there was a review on Fresh Air yesterday about several new reissues. Apparently, there's a new 2 disc edition of Odelay coming out. I love that album, but I'm wondering if I need to buy another copy of that dang thing.

On the other hand, the 3 Feet High and Rising 2 disc version was well worth it.

Funny you should mention this, there was a review on Fresh Air yesterday about several new reissues. Apparently, there's a new 2 disc edition of Odelay coming out. I love that album, but I'm wondering if I need to buy another copy of that dang thing.

u dony even need Odelay

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Velvet Underground's LOADED had a badass double-deluxe issue w/alternates of every track... they aren't just different takes that are basically the same either, some of them are in a completely different style to the known versions...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hmm... The "What's Going On" was dope. The Phil Ranelin was dope, too. I have a bunch from Curtis Mayfield & The Gil Scott ones were dope, too.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

No. Now the Japanese version of "One Foot In The Grave" with the bonus "Feather In Your Cap" 45 tracks on it - shit - that's the only Beck album you NEED.

Yes. I ride. Is it possible for this album to be underrated? I never see this on Top 25 lists. Still my favorite De La.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Velvet Underground's LOADED had a badass double-deluxe issue w/alternates of every track... they aren't just different takes that are basically the same either, some of them are in a completely different style to the known versions...

Right. And the "...and Nico" Deluxe has the mono/stereo tracks on 2 discs. Nothing unreleased, and includes five Chelsea Girls for no good reason, but it's nice to have in one set, if you still prize physical-object music.

No. Now the Japanese version of "One Foot In The Grave" with the bonus "Feather In Your Cap" 45 tracks on it - shit - that's the only Beck album you NEED.

Yes. I ride. Is it possible for this album to be underrated? I never see this on Top 25 lists. Still my favorite De La.

Very good deluxe version, but underatted no.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Now the Japanese version of "One Foot In The Grave" with the bonus "Feather In Your Cap" 45 tracks on it - shit - that's the only Beck album you NEED.

Thats the only Beck album I've ever liked - never seen the dlx though

Motown did some good ones. What's Going On, I Need You, Here My Dear etc

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Now the Japanese version of "One Foot In The Grave" with the bonus "Feather In Your Cap" 45 tracks on it - shit - that's the only Beck album you NEED.

Thats the only Beck album I've ever liked - never seen the dlx though

17. "It's All in Your Mind" (Japanese version only) ??? 2:56
    18. "Feather in Your Cap" (Japanese version only) ??? 1:12
    19. "Whiskey Can Can" (Japanese version only) ??? 2:15

These are on the Feather In Your Cap 45 single (still in print, I believe, because it's K Records we're talking about here). These issues sound better on vinyl - it's not a mere anachronism like all the other digitally-mastered-but-pressed-analog-for-the-sheer-novelty-of-it affairs that occur today.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

u dony even need Odelay

Seriously.

Beck's only redeeming quality is that he is an effective diagnostic as to whether or not I will be able to talk about music with somebody.

u dony even need Odelay

Seriously.

Beck's only redeeming quality is that he is an effective diagnostic as to whether or not I will be able to talk about music with somebody.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts

The "Odelay" deluxe edition came out a few months ago now. I like it mostly because it collects together all the b-sides from the Odelay singles.

When it comes to Deluxe Editions I vastly prefer those that either collect b-sides and outtakes or have demos. I really don't care for the ones that just stick a bunch of live versions of songs as a bonus disc since those really don't generally have a direct connection with the album and its sessions/creation. I love Bob Marley but other than the Catch A Fire one I think most of the Marley ones have been padded out by unnecessary live tracks.

These are probably my favorite Deluxe Editions though:

• I just got a promo of 'Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul' that has mono and stereo versions of the album, plus 45-only tracks, live material etc. Very nicely done.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Who is this Master Ace?

Who is this Master Ace?

MASTER RACE....git fam

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was making a Masta/Master joke that lacked in timing and everything else.

I have totally totally heard of Mr. Sittin' On Chrome.

I was making a Masta/Master joke that lacked in timing and everything else.

I have totally totally heard of Mr. Sittin' On Chrome.

I figured bro.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    SlaughtaHouse>Thriller

bahleedat!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

When it comes to Deluxe Editions I vastly prefer those that either collect b-sides and outtakes or have demos. I really don't care for the ones that just stick a bunch of live versions of songs as a bonus disc since those really don't generally have a direct connection with the album and its sessions/creation. I love Bob Marley but other than the Catch A Fire one I think most of the Marley ones have been padded out by unnecessary live tracks.

Cosign on that. Yea I think they did that to the harder they come as well.

EPIC-Sade Lovers Rock dropped an extended/extra cd w/ audio tracks from the OG Sade Live concert that was only available on laserdisc/vhs.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    By definition, the "Deluxe Edition"'s we're talking about here are the ones released by Universal.

The Bob Marley ones are great, heating the original Jamaican mix of Start A Fire[/b] is worth it. The Lynyrd Skynyrd album is great, nice to hear all of the takes that they passed on at the time. Cream's Disraeli Gears[/b] is really good, as you get to hear the entire album in their mono mxies.

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme[/b] is worth it to hear the early takes of certain songs when the quartet were expanded to a sextet, with the addition of Archie Shepp and Art Davis on alternate takes of "Acknowledgement". I do not know if these have been issued on their own, but at the time of the Deluxe Edition they were a brand new discovery.

James Brown's Live At The Apollo Vol. II[/b] makes it possible to hear much more of the album, unedited and undubbed. If the master tapes still exist, it would be great to hear the full sets from the recordings that made Revolution Of The Mind[/b] and Live Power Peace[/b]. They can just issue those through Hip-O Select.

I also like Howlin Wolf's The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions[/b], with a full disc of unreleased alternate mixes. On this one, the proper album sounds dull, my guess is that's how it was originally mastered. But the alternate mixes sound great, and there are three tracks on Disc 1 that are "newly remixed from the session multi-tracks", which are worthy. This one was mastered by Erick Labson.

There are also three for The Who that I used to have: My Generation[/b], Live At Leeds[/b], and Who's Next[/b], and all of the extras on each were good. The one for Live At Leeds[/b] has the full recording done at Leeds, and they played most of Tommy[/b] in its entirety. There is also one for Tommy[/b], I believe it is a hybrid SACD but you're better off hunting down the great DVD-A for it, especially to hear the second disc of outtakes and demos, and to see Pete Townshend go through the multi-tracks where he isolates certain elements (including the drums).

[img=http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2148/townshendtommy1gb0.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8770/townshendtommy2ba0.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7971/townshendtommy3cp9.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/286/townshendtommy4vi5.th.jpg]

The one they did for Blind Faith's album is good only for the jam sessions. If you have the Derek & The Dominos Layla[/b] box set and liked the jams on there, you'll like that. But the remastering Suha Gur did of the regular album was terrible, it sounded too cold and worse, he added digital effects to the mix and it sounds unnatural. That's a big red flag for me, and if I buy an album and see Suha Gur's name on it, I want to cringe. Pick up the MFSL of the Blind Faith album if you need it that bad, or hunt down the Dennis Drake Polydor pressing.

The pre-cursor for Universal's Deluxe Edition was their Chronicles series, which included everyone from James Brown to Roy Ayers, The JB's to Keith Emerson and as much rock that went through the Polygram/Universal vaults (Camel). Chronicles also handled a lot of the soul/funk compilations they did in the early to mid-90's, such as Parliament, Cameo, Kool & The Gang, Barry White, etc., when they realized the value of their vaults and were going out of their way to find the goodies. Stuff like the original cocaine references in Parliament's "Up For The Down Stroke", Kool & The Gang's "Celebremos", etc. The goods from Universal can be found on their Hip-O Select imprint, but for the most parts it's straight reissues and not a lot of "extras". As O-Dub said in the Charles Wright read, Universal has a tight lid on anything and everything associated with their artists, so the chances of anyone finding rarities is none to none, unless you're an execitive supervisor for the project. Get me that job.

Yeah, the second disc just had "songs of the era", including a few that were in the film but not on the original soundtrack. I would have preferred some unreleased mixes of certain tracks, but my guess is that when the soundtrack was made, everything was commissioned and paid for, with no extra to do anything. The soundtrack gained a life of its own, especially in the last 35 years as more people bought the album than see the movie, at least until DVD.

• Funny you should mention this, there was a review on Fresh Air yesterday about several new reissues. Apparently, there's a new 2 disc edition of Odelay coming out. I love that album, but I'm wondering if I need to buy another copy of that dang thing.

u dony even need Odelay

Seriously.

Damn. Does this mean we'll never break bread one day?

That is to say, I think there is quality material on "Mellow Gold" and the aforementioned "One Foot in the Grave".

But yeah, you don't really need Odelay.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    The pre-cursor for Universal's Deluxe Edition was their Chronicles series, which included everyone from James Brown to Roy Ayers, The JB's to Keith Emerson and as much rock that went through the Polygram/Universal vaults (Camel). Chronicles also handled a lot of the soul/funk compilations they did in the early to mid-90's, such as Parliament, Cameo, Kool & The Gang, Barry White, etc., when they realized the value of their vaults and were going out of their way to find the goodies. Stuff like the original cocaine references in Parliament's "Up For The Down Stroke", Kool & The Gang's "Celebremos", etc. The goods from Universal can be found on their Hip-O Select imprint, but for the most parts it's straight reissues and not a lot of "extras". As O-Dub said in the Charles Wright read, Universal has a tight lid on anything and everything associated with their artists, so the chances of anyone finding rarities is none to none, unless you're an execitive supervisor for the project. Get me that job.

I'll tell you what... The guy whose job I envy is Harry Weingar. Back in the day he used to post on the rec.music.funky newsgroup and he kept everybody up on the latest projects he was involved with at Polygram/Universal. I still see his name in the credits for all kinds of Universal reissues and such. I can only imagine the cool stuff he's gotten to hear from the vaults.

I'll tell you what... The guy whose job I envy is Harry Weingar. Back in the day he used to post on the rec.music.funky newsgroup and he kept everybody up on the latest projects he was involved with at Polygram/Universal. I still see his name in the credits for all kinds of Universal reissues and such. I can only imagine the cool stuff he's gotten to hear from the vaults.

I remember a few of those posts. I know he's still at Universal and has been doing a lot of the stuff that comes out on Hip-O Select, including the James Brown singles compilations. I'm curious to see if they plan on doing any hi-res audio for Blu-Ray, or if Universal will just become one big hard drive for everyone to download from.