Bill Cosby releases "hip-hop" album

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
HERE TO SAVE YOU ALL. Apparently, it will be free of all filth-flarn and/or flarn-filth:
Beloved TV star Bill Cosby is set to release a hip-hop album -- but he refused to rap on any of the tracks because of the genre's "negativity."The "Cosby Show" actor, 70, is behind the new CD "Cosby Narratives Vol. 1: State of Emergency," which blends the comedian's stories with a hip-hop, pop and jazz soundtrack.But Cosby insists he didn't want to integrate rap into his sound because rapping is "profane for no reason."He tells the Associated Press, "I do not rap on any of these things. I wouldn't know how to fix my mouth to say some of the words.[/b]"(The album is) the opposite of what I think is the profanity for no particular reason, the misogyny for no particular reason. It really looks at the frustration and the anger that a young man may have."His producer, Bill "Spaceman" Patterson, says, "He's (Cosby) always been involved in music and he was there for the first generation of spoken word ... He has always understood rap's potential, but he was appalled by the foul language and the misogyny -- the way people used a medium that could be used to elevate people, to open their eyes and provoke thought."And Cosby doesn't want this rap record to be his last: "We can do even better. The next one will be even more cheerleading.""Cosby Narratives Vol. 1: State of Emergency" is slated for release next month.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This is gonna be like the hip-hop equivalent of Pat Boone's heavy metal album.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Seriously dude needs to stop shittin on "Rapp Music".

"Jammin On The One!!!"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Or at least be do it quietly.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    dude is an embarassment.

I recently re-watched "himself."

doesn't hold up.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    ohh these kids today with their flipping and their flopping and their hipping and their hopping
    RUUUUDY!

• SPACEMAN

?

• According to XXL, Ced Gee is doing beats. I absolutely must hear this immediately.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    reynaldo rap

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

"Jammin On The One!!!"

Theo has a signed Jacob Lawrence on the wall.

"Jammin On The One!!!"

Theo has a signed Jacob Lawrence on the wall.

That's a framed print edition. Even Mr.Huxtable would know not to hang a Lawrence painting in a teenagers room.

Actually lookin at it again its not a Jacob Lawrence, but its an artist whos name skips me but was prominantly featured on the show. He/she'w work was also in the auction episode. They also had a print in the living room for a minute.

Varnette Honeywood - Double Dare

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    but its an artist whos name skips me but was prominantly featured on the show. He/she'w work was also in the auction episode. They also had a print in the living room for a minute.

Ellis Wilson

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ohh these kids today with their flipping and their flopping and their hipping and their hopping
    RUUUUDY!

kids, this is your Grandpa Murphy.

but we've got three grandpas already!

yeah but this one's the famous jaaaaazz musician.

ohh, they all are!

oh oh! ya see...the kids these days, they listen to the rap music, which gives them the brain damage. with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin...they don't know what the jazz, is all about! ya see jazz is like jello pudding...no, that's not it. jazz is like kodak film...no, that's not right neither. i've got it! jazz is like the new coke - it'll be around forever!

Did Cosby really say "the hippin' and the hoppin'" or is that just some younger comic like Dave Chapelle imitating him? I've seen that goofy quote attributed to him all over the place...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    no-one has said it yet, so allow me.....

Cosby sounds........white!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    he really said that

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Least destructive hip-hop album of the year.

Remember the episode of The Cosby Show where the subplot was Theo and Cockroach forming a rap duo? We see them intermittently dropping rhymes here and there, until finally old man Huxtable can't take it anymore and wonders why all their songs are about partying. By episode's end they come up with some kind of lame "positive" stay-in-school rap, and all of a sudden Theo's parents start beaming their approval?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    no-one has said it yet, so allow me.....

Cosby sounds........white!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Remember the episode of The Cosby Show where the subplot was Theo and Cockroach forming a rap duo? We see them intermittently dropping rhymes here and there, until finally old man Huxtable can't take it anymore and wonders why all their songs are about partying. By episode's end they come up with some kind of lame "positive" stay-in-school rap, and all of a sudden Theo's parents start beaming their approval?
    That episode singlehandedly kept me from going down the dangerous path of gangster rap enjoyment.

I loved that show when it was on, but when I saw reruns a few years ago I was amazed at how poorly it holds up. In fact, I thought it sucked.

I still listen to, To Russel The Brother Whom I Slept With. It's amazing how closely my sister, and I and our friends saw our white suburban childhood in Cosby's childhood remembrances. Sometimes its hard to remember if something happened to me and my friends or I got it off a Cosby record.

Signed Ellis Wilson print is a nice way to start decorating his NJ apartment.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I thought they were studying for an english test or something, and made some shakepseare play rap in order to help remember things from the play...perhaps that was a different episode...

I loved The Cosby Show when it was on, but when I saw reruns a few years ago I was amazed at how poorly it holds up. In fact, I thought it sucked.

I hung with the show for the first three seasons it was on, then quickly lost interest after that. I can still watch the Cosby spinoff A Different World, however. Lord knows it was just as preachy, but something about it holds up better than the show it spun off from.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I loved The Cosby Show when it was on, but when I saw reruns a few years ago I was amazed at how poorly it holds up. In fact, I thought it sucked.

I hung with the show for the first three seasons it was on, then quickly lost interest after that. I can still watch the Cosby spinoff A Different World, however. Lord knows it was just as preachy, but something about it holds up better than the show it spun off from.

total cosign.

and I think I know why a Different World holds up better.

no Bill Cosby.

I thought they were studying for an english test or something, and made some shakepseare play rap in order to help remember things from the play...perhaps that was a different episode...

you could be right, but i do distinctly recall an segment, somewhere, where cos did not like the rap that theo & cockroack came up with

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    no that this has anything to do with the Cos and hip hop..but take a look at this pic and tell me the cos didnt hit the reefer....

A few years ago Cosby brought his stand up act to Portland. An old grade school friend lives in Portland they got together, and then talked to the local press. Friend says they used to skip school together. Cosby says he never, ever, skipped school. Riiiight. I'm sure Philly heads have heard stories.

Seemed like those kids were talented. Have any of them proved they can act as adults. In High Fidelity Lisa kept changing her accent, was she supposed to be British? Carribean? or just pretentious?

V.Honeywood

V.Honeywood

So what is the print on the wall? Varnette Honeywood? Jacob Lawerence? or Ellis Wilson?

By the way ^ that one is super nice.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    So at his age would it be 'colostomy bag rap' as opposed to backpack rap?