RARE MAJOR LABEL 12"S

RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
i saw a thread a while back sorta like this...i think.anyway i forgot to ask..does anybody have a copy of .. sly stone/ remember who you are 12" ? wb label white sleeve with sticker, double a side.i have this and have never seen another copy.if none of yall have seen this, then i would say this is the rarest major label 12".anybody needthe following 12"s hollllla....... michael mcdonald ...the who or hubert laws.. trades.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i saw a thread a while back sorta like this...i think.
    anyway i forgot to ask..does anybody have a copy of .. sly stone/ remember who you are 12" ? wb label white sleeve with sticker, double a side.
    i have this and have never seen another copy.
    if none of yall have seen this, then i would say this is the rarest major label 12".

I'm not trying to be funny, but what would make this rare? It was a minor hit, and comes from an album (Back On The Right Track) that is a common sight in used stores (who wants Sly past his prime?). This may not show up as much as his earlier Epic records, but I don't think it's Holy Grail material either.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    as a 12" it mos def is holy grail.like stilleto or was dogg a doughnut. the rarest 12 i have is in the mood on blue vinyl.

• does anybody have a copy of .. sly stone/ remember who you are 12" ? wb label white sleeve with sticker, double a side.
    if none of yall have seen this, then i would say this is the rarest major label 12".

Haha, I got it a few years back when one of the local spots when they had a bunch of disco 12's. My sleeve doesn't have a sticker though.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I'm not trying to be funny, but what would make this rare?
    12"

But, I think it's impossible to say something like "this is the raerest ___" unless you know the pressing numbers and distro list of all the grails. There are lots of really really raer major label 12"s.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's up with the long mix on the Intruders 12"?

• i saw a thread a while back sorta like this...i think.
    anyway i forgot to ask..does anybody have a copy of .. sly stone/ remember who you are 12" ? wb label white sleeve with sticker, double a side.

I'm not trying to be funny, but what would make this rare? It was a minor hit, and comes from an album (Back On The Right Track) that is a common sight in used stores (who wants Sly past his prime?). This may not show up as much as his earlier Epic records, but I don't think it's Holy Grail material either.

while the LP may be a common sight i know this 12"s isnt... as far as that song goes..its great...what does taste have to do with rarity ?
    being that i collect 12"s i neeeeeever see this 12". not in the field or on ebay.

• I'm not trying to be funny, but what would make this rare?
    12"

But, I think it's impossible to say something like "this is the raerest ___" unless you know the pressing numbers and distro list of all the grails. There are lots of really really raer major label 12"s.

rare meaning, do you personally own this, or see this frequently ? promo only, would normally mean radio station service/ billboard. not too many pressed.

name some rare major label 12"s ...hollies, cat stevens, willow band, philly jump, prince, jacksons, nicolette, bill withers, diana ross, dutch only pic cover of stevie, marvin gaye heavy love affair, mandre solar flight uk only.. ...etc.
    please dont say ecuru on motown cuz its an italian boot leg pass off.

so..with all that said, i still never see this sly stone 12".

johnny your a shop owner, do you see it alot ?

• oops forgot a good one, maze ft. frankie beverly/ you.
    aside from cardova...and a few others, i know the answer but..who can tell me what the flip is. ? no discogs.com/ google shit either...haha
    nerding out on a wed afternoon

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Kon,

You got the Stevie "That Girl" Mexico only 12"? I know you gotta have the George Duke "I Want You For Myself" 12".

Shop or not nobody sees these 12"s frequently.

Of course the Sly Stone is raer, I just think it's kinda arbitrary to call it the raerest.

Here are some other tough ones to find...

Miroslav Vitous
    Breakwater - No Limit
    Tony Silvester Sampler EP
    Brainstorm - We're On Our Way Home
    George Duke - I Want You For Myself
    Cheryl Lynn - You Saved My Day
    Blackbyrds - Happy Music
    Lamont Dozier - Going Back To My Roots

I dunno though... it's hard to know of these are raerer and which are just more sought after and thus more expensive

• I had the Sly 12" a couple years ago. I thought it was rare too, was hoping I would get some decent money for it on ebay. It sold for a whopping $8 (and it was listed well and all that too).

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Shop or not nobody sees these 12"s frequently.

12"s aren't my thing but i guess I got a few. JP, you know the deal behind that guy in Queens Village who was selling off a ton of Mancuso type promo 12"s a year ago? i think that dude must have bought out a journalist or a record pool or something..

No I don't - I recall a few things in Queens Village but nothing of that nature.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    A lotta the CBS and Warner Bros 12s are raer for some reason. You'd think that Deodato jammie, or that raer Peaches and Herb would pop up, but they don't.
    I like my extended mix of Free by Deniece Williams. Not the raerest, but along with Willow Band, one of the best.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

DOC SEVERINSEN

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A lotta the CBS and Warner Bros 12s are raer for some reason. You'd think that Deodato jammie, or that raer Peaches and Herb would pop up, but they don't.
    I like my extended mix of Free by Deniece Williams. Not the raerest, but along with Willow Band, one of the best.

I would love to have Free on a 12"

One of my biggest blunders in the shop was early on, pricing a "Free" 12" for fairly cheap. Hard record to find.

One of my biggest blunders in the shop was early on, pricing a "Free" 12" for fairly cheap. Hard record to find.

The extended mix really adds to da funk too.
    A zillion George Duke 12" later and still no I Want You...
    I heart 12s

• One of my biggest blunders in the shop was early on, pricing a "Free" 12" for fairly cheap. Hard record to find.

i know of a bigger one... doh !

denise lasalle / im so hot...same mix as lp. i have no regrets parting with that 12"

one more try 12" seems to be the hardest to find mint...ive yet to see that.

andrea true connection/ more more more
    norman connors/ once ive been there

ray parker jr...

claudja barry/ love for the sake of love

• I like my extended mix of Free by Deniece Williams.

I just checked my Free 12" and the 12 was the same length as the album. Is there another version of the single out there?

I like my extended mix of Free by Deniece Williams.

I just checked my Free 12" and the 12 was the same length as the album. Is there another version of the single out there?

Maybe I'm wrong I guess. I don't remember as much instrumentation on the album version. My bad. I'm still

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    from the top of my head i'd say philly jump and one more try are the rarest ones mentioned here. none of the others get 500 regularly. there's another philly 12" in the same league, as well as a few motowns etc.

non-US 12"s are a whole another ballgame, and the prices seem to fluctuate much more.

back to the sly 12": i think i've had three over the years. it's scarce, but not crazy in demand like that. 12" dudes like nick and john used to list it at 30UK, $40 or so.

CORRECT, I SOLD WILLIE COLLINS SHE'S HOT 45 FOR A MERE $40.

Yeah but for real...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    im not a 12 inch dude (more like a happy 7)
    and i feellike i see the denience williams frequently. i might have an extra copy floating around too.

what im wondering about is glow of love...i know the 12" version (that has a short and a 8 minute version), but i also have a promo 12 that has:
    a
    searching (parkside remix)
    searching (album version)
    b
    a lovers holiday (album)
    glow of love (album 6:11)

anyone seen that?

that's a later issue, from the late-80's or so.

doesn't turn up much.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    aaaah,ok.
    ayo,gonna put that 12 and some other things in the viis kulma drivers hands this weekend when he gets to philly. arright?

CORRECT, I SOLD WILLIE COLLINS SHE'S HOT 45 FOR A MERE $40.

Yeah but for real...

That's not that big of a flub if you ask me, it's not like you put it in the dollar bin. And BELIEVE that that person who gets a good deal on a record in your shop will be coming back to shop again. That record is pretty lame anyway.

ok tony. you going to italy this summer? hit me on the pm.

On the topic of rare major label 12"s, I remember seeing a post on some board a while back where someone scanned in some old promo fliers for disco singles- they would have a promo shot, a brief blurb about the group/song, release date, and sometimes the quantity pressed. I think that these were all commercially pressed singles and the quantity ranged from 5,000-20,000 or so. Anyone know what kinda numbers some of these records were pressed in or know a way to find this out?

It's hard for me to imagine these labels doing runs of less than 1,000, and I've always assumed these were tough to find in part because they got played to death or are sitting in old DJ collections across the country/world as opposed to sitting in dollar bins.