RARE MAJOR LABEL 12"S

2»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

And BELIEVE that that person who gets a good deal on a record in your shop will be coming back to shop again. That record is pretty lame anyway.

yup. ive known some shops to do that shit on purpose. with midpriced joints. keeps people coming back

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    On the topic of rare major label 12"s, I remember seeing a post on some board a while back where someone scanned in some old promo fliers for disco singles- they would have a promo shot, a brief blurb about the group/song, release date, and sometimes the quantity pressed. I think that these were all commercially pressed singles and the quantity ranged from 5,000-20,000 or so. Anyone know what kinda numbers some of these records were pressed in or know a way to find this out?

It's hard for me to imagine these labels doing runs of less than 1,000, and I've always assumed these were tough to find in part because they got played to death or are sitting in old DJ collections across the country/world as opposed to sitting in dollar bins.

I don't know much, but I've been thinking about this occasionally for years. There must have been at least too different disco dj promo categories, a limited A list and wider B list. In addition there was the radio DJ list, which was different and some 12"s (famous example Another One Bites The Dust) were sent to them exclusively.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It's hard for me to imagine these labels doing runs of less than 1,000, and I've always assumed these were tough to find in part because they got played to death or are sitting in old DJ collections across the country/world as opposed to sitting in dollar bins.

You should also factor in loads getting tossed out by stores/dealers in the 80s/90s (hell I've even seen dudes on here mention "throwing away" midrange joints when cleaning out)

Matter of fact I went to a record show to help my dad when I was like 11 and the other dealers were absolutely ridiculing me when they saw me carting a dolly stacked w/12s in...

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    true. and the promo business is weird to begin with. i believe almost entire pressings were destroyed just because the song didn't turn into a hit right away.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

You should also factor in loads getting tossed out by stores/dealers in the 80s/90s (hell I've even seen dudes on here mention "throwing away" midrange joints when cleaning out)

Matter of fact I went to a record show to help my dad when I was like 11 and the other dealers were absolutely ridiculing me when they saw me carting a dolly stacked w/12s in...

your pops a record dealer???