BEST WINGS (NRR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Wingstop? Hooters? Yo Mama?Do tell....

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    louisiana hot sauce, butter and a touch of honey....

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    this question is unanswerable, at least at the level of national chains that everyone would recognize. i can't think of a single franchised restaraunt that has memorable wings..

i've got my local hot wing spot
    i've got my local jerked wing spot
    and my local smoked wing spot
    hmm, might be some others..

• I have tried other wing places from coast to coast.. and for the life of me, never have I had anything so good! But its unfair as most of you could not try these. But to my peoples in the the Philly area.. head south on 95.. get off on the 202 concord pike exit.. its just up 202 a little, right near the Concord Mall. Best I have ever had..

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Wingstop?

so I'm intrigued by this spot. I saw ads for it in Vegas but I don't think we have it here in SF. so these dudes deliver? that's rad. but how are the wings?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I rock the defcon 2, but thinking of stepping it up to defcon 1 to see what's up.

• Eh.

It's the gimmicky "wing division" of Pizza Hut.

I'm assuming you've had Pizza Hut pizza before? Just equate that same quality to wings. Nuff said.

• Eh.

I'm assuming you've had Pizza Hut pizza before? Just equate that same quality to wings. Nuff said.

This was in reply to ROOTLESS's question on Wingstop.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    best in Memphis seems to be the Parkway Grill, which is just the sandwich counter in the back of a convienence store...but some damn fine wings...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Eh.

yeah I figured as much.

though I can definitely see the whole delivery aspect trumping the food quality on lazy/hungover/latenight occasions.

• zlatorogzlatorog 66 Posts

• Cluck-U

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh man, when that wingstop or whatever that shit is. yeah when that first opened there were 2 options BONE-IN or BONE-OUT. and let me tell you, i called in for delivery once while stoned and for the life of me i couldnt figure out what the hell they were talking about.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Eh.

yeah I figured as much.

though I can definitely see the whole delivery aspect trumping the food quality on lazy/hungover/latenight occasions.

you're thinking of "wing street." they are the gimicky wing division of pizza hut. wingstop looks to be on that same level though.

Atlanta has wing spots for days.

But I'll go ahead and rep for a spot in Houston:

Wings n Things

• edulusedulus 421 Posts

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    OK... wings are pretty much my favorite food. To clear up some confusion, Wingstop was started here in Dallas and despite it's chain name, does have pretty good wings...and really, really good fries.

Wing Stop was sold though and the wings have suffered a little, but I still place them top 4 in Dallas.

The guy who sold Wing Stop went on to start Pizza Patron, the pizza spot in Dallas that accepts pesos (yes, Mexican money)...and their pizza completely sucks.

But for my money, Pluckers in Dallas has the best wings I have ever had. Big, meaty,
    wings and good flavors. They also sell 32oz. Miller High Lifes in the bottle to wash them down with..yes, thank you.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Photobucket

wings, beer, sports...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    If we're talking Buffalo-style wings, there is really no alternative to Frank's Red Hot. I don't think any jerk variations or BBQ sauce-based variations can qualify as the prototypical wing.

Also, I have serious love for several Louisiana brand hot sauces, and have tried to use these as the base for a wing sauce. They don't work. Not even my favorite, which is Crystal.

That said, the typical wing sauce for any legit place is Franks with butter, and that's it. For me, less butter is better because I like the heat. I also add a couple extra secret ingredients when I make wings at home.

In terms of the wings themselves, you have to fry them hard. The skin is more important than the meat itself. If the skin isn't crispy, then whole dish is a complete failure. People who try to bake wings are so disconnected, I don't even want to talk about it. I won't even try one unless they're fried.

So... any place that fries wings hard and dresses them with Frank's can make the best wings. I will eat them every time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Wing Stop Lemon Pepper & Parmesean

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I rock the defcon 2, but thinking of stepping it up to defcon 1 to see what's up.

I just had an aliendn moment. Why is there a troll in the dip?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    If we're talking Buffalo-style wings, there is really no alternative to Frank's Red Hot. I don't think any jerk variations or BBQ sauce-based variations can qualify as the prototypical wing.

Also, I have serious love for several Louisiana brand hot sauces, and have tried to use these as the base for a wing sauce. They don't work. Not even my favorite, which is Crystal.

That said, the typical wing sauce for any legit place is Franks with butter, and that's it. For me, less butter is better because I like the heat. I also add a couple extra secret ingredients when I make wings at home.

In terms of the wings themselves, you have to fry them hard. The skin is more important than the meat itself. If the skin isn't crispy, then whole dish is a complete failure. People who try to bake wings are so disconnected, I don't even want to talk about it. I won't even try one unless they're fried.

So... any place that fries wings hard and dresses them with Frank's can make the best wings. I will eat them every time.

I recommend you give defcon a try, imo they've upped the game and topped the basic frank's + butter mixture.

The home of the buffalo wing is Anchor Bar, where the original recipe (half frank's/half butter) was invented. I do prefer Duff's (very vinegary) and especially Buzzy's in Niagara Falls. I find Anchor's wings lack the proper kick in comparison.

Also, they're just called wings in Buffalo, calling them "Buffalo wings" will signal you as a newb.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Frank's Red Hot is good, and I used it on my buffalo chicken pizza at the shop I worked at for 6+ years, but a true buffalo sauce is hot sauce (your favorite), butter, oil, worcestershire, ketchup, honey, and other personal touches.

Any hot sauce that you like is acceptable, even mixing 2 favs is OK.

You can't even start to compare "Buffalo Wings" to "Hot Wings"....buffalo is a flavor all its own and is completely separate from hot wings.

This has been a drunk explanation, but I will eat wings with any of you to justify my opinion/

Yeah, to use plain ole Tabasco or Crystal as a wing base is simply idiotic. And apparently there are quite a number of idiots out there who try.

But beyond Franks, I do ride for this...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i am a self confessed and well known wing junkie, so i couldn't pass up this thread. in fact, i have a lot to say on the subject. i'm not a big fan of sloppy saucy wings or even buffalo sauce, but i will fuck up some wings with a quickness. i never really ate them until moving to minnesota and i got hooked. i now have a group of homies that gets together every month or so and we hit up one of our favorite spots around town or try some place new. so, with the help of my esteemed panel of judges - who are also all djs - here is the run down of wings in twins.

our top 3
    monte carlo - i don't know what spices they put in that mix, but man they're delicious. its cardamon or something. they come lightly fried and dry. if you want dipping sauce, you'll have to ask cause these wings were meant to stand on their own and they do. great with a scotch.

pepitos - its a mexican restaraunt and they make a mean wing. they are big and meaty and come baked with a hot sauce on them so they come dry and are served with a spicy bbq sauce that is as excellent as it is unique. start off with a long island.

shorty and wag's/country bar - its two places owned by the same people. the wings at the bar are somehow bigger but if you go to shorty and wag's wings and ribs spot on nicloett, you don't get the annoyance of a dive bar. we asked for 2 orders of wings there once and it seemed like it took 45 minutes to even start cooking them and its about a half hour process. THEN after about an hour they realized that they gave both of our orders to a couple who came in to get two orders to go - they left with 4 orders. the waitress wouldn't even buy us a round, only got a 2 for 1 and had to wait another 45 minutes. still, damn tasty wings. served dry with great spices and your choice of sauces. good with whiskey or PBR - several PBRs because it just takes them that long to cook em.

the stand bys...

cora's best chicken wings - 6 breaded wings with a dope sauce with fried rice. the owers are pinoy so the sauce is kind of asian in taste, i couldn't begin to describe it better - spicy but tangy? not sweet and sour, but somewhere in that realm. excellent wings, get em to go.

green mill - the texas dry rub to be specific. they're dry and come with blue cheese dressing for the dip dip. the great thing about these is that they're on the happy hour menu.

the imperial room - the jamaican jerk wings are alot like the texas dry rub and they don't really live up to their name. however, they are good wings nonetheless.

a & j chicken and fish - the hood spot. its one of those places where everything on the menu is fried, inexpensive, delicious, horrible for you and comes with a piece of white bread. you get plenty of ketchup for the fries and frank's hot sauce for the chicken - and a little, itsy-bitsy, tiny cup of coleslaw. basically a tablespoon'O'slaw. they are perfect for those hangover days cause even though they're 2 blocks away, they'll deliver to my lazy ass.

considering starting a chicken wing blog. i didn't even touch on a bunch of other spots that should be mentioned!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

this place has nasty wings
    they have like 30 sauces and can't get a damn one right

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Up here my favorite Buffalo wing is Scubber's. A lot of places (especially taverns) make their sauce too runny; it should stick to the chicken, not pool up in the bottom of the bowl.

• i am a self confessed and well known wing junkie, so i couldn't pass up this thread. in fact, i have a lot to say on the subject. i'm not a big fan of sloppy saucy wings or even buffalo sauce, but i will fuck up some wings with a quickness. i never really ate them until moving to minnesota and i got hooked. i now have a group of homies that gets together every month or so and we hit up one of our favorite spots around town or try some place new. so, with the help of my esteemed panel of judges - who are also all djs - here is the run down of wings in twins.

our top 3
    monte carlo - i don't know what spices they put in that mix, but man they're delicious. its cardamon or something. they come lightly fried and dry. if you want dipping sauce, you'll have to ask cause these wings were meant to stand on their own and they do. great with a scotch.

pepitos - its a mexican restaraunt and they make a mean wing. they are big and meaty and come baked with a hot sauce on them so they come dry and are served with a spicy bbq sauce that is as excellent as it is unique. start off with a long island.

shorty and wag's/country bar - its two places owned by the same people. the wings at the bar are somehow bigger but if you go to shorty and wag's wings and ribs spot on nicloett, you don't get the annoyance of a dive bar. we asked for 2 orders of wings there once and it seemed like it took 45 minutes to even start cooking them and its about a half hour process. THEN after about an hour they realized that they gave both of our orders to a couple who came in to get two orders to go - they left with 4 orders. the waitress wouldn't even buy us a round, only got a 2 for 1 and had to wait another 45 minutes. still, damn tasty wings. served dry with great spices and your choice of sauces. good with whiskey or PBR - several PBRs because it just takes them that long to cook em.

the stand bys...

cora's best chicken wings - 6 breaded wings with a dope sauce with fried rice. the owers are pinoy so the sauce is kind of asian in taste, i couldn't begin to describe it better - spicy but tangy? not sweet and sour, but somewhere in that realm. excellent wings, get em to go.

green mill - the texas dry rub to be specific. they're dry and come with blue cheese dressing for the dip dip. the great thing about these is that they're on the happy hour menu.

the imperial room - the jamaican jerk wings are alot like the texas dry rub and they don't really live up to their name. however, they are good wings nonetheless.

a & j chicken and fish - the hood spot. its one of those places where everything on the menu is fried, inexpensive, delicious, horrible for you and comes with a piece of white bread. you get plenty of ketchup for the fries and frank's hot sauce for the chicken - and a little, itsy-bitsy, tiny cup of coleslaw. basically a tablespoon'O'slaw. they are perfect for those hangover days cause even though they're 2 blocks away, they'll deliver to my lazy ass.

considering starting a chicken wing blog. i didn't even touch on a bunch of other spots that should be mentioned!

my favorite is the hickory hut, haven't really tried any of those other places though

• But for my money, Pluckers in Dallas has the best wings I have ever had. Big, meaty,
    wings and good flavors. They also sell 32oz. Miller High Lifes in the bottle to wash them down with..yes, thank you.

Pluckers is the shit man. The wings are consistently big and tasty. Try the Bakers Gold sauce if they have it up there. Perfect combo of spicy and tangy.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There aren't any places around here, other than Chinese supermarket stuff, that sells wings (well, other than KFC and Albertson's, and of course Wal-Mart's pilau peace of crap).

I could go for some wings right now.

My sister works with a guy who is originally from Atlanta, and he eats wings by the bucket, and when he gets really homesick, the serving is doubled. Then he gets drunk to the point where his face is more red than the hot wings.