what % of your collection is tacky funk?

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited October 2015 in Record Collecting
3 Years Ago: 50%Today: 0%

Comments

• 18%, mostly on 45 - the boring funk collectors best format of choice

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Somewhat less after the Night Owl Show this past weekend. In the words of the master. "I have miles to go before I sleep."

• What is considered tacky funk?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    What is considered tacky funk?

according to Rey, anything thats not latin

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Isn't latin funk, by definition, tacky?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ok War is good latin funk. I think we're gonna need a faux rillz ruling on tacky latin funkness.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tacky Funk = Dusty 45 w/ Beats???? "Black man Soul/Afro Covers" Funk???

Funk That girls dont party to?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Is Kool n the Gang tacky funk?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    3 Years Ago: 50%
    Today: 70% Tacky Latin

• Tacky funk imo is some very mediocre cookie cutter funk song on 45 with absolutely no redeeming quality - usually with a title similar to "Brothers Funk pt. 1 by Time Eastley and the Twisters" or some shit. No break, no breakdown, no chord changes, slightly rare because it sucked when it came out & no one bought it.

As far as latinos doing funk - i would say almost everything good came from LAtin american countries, not american latinos in this country who seemed solely wrapped up in the faux chicano santana experience. There is a world of latino funk devoid of Carlos.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Tacky funk imo is some very mediocre cookie cutter funk song on 45 with absolutely no redeeming quality

Untouchable Machine Shop?

• Rufus Thomas RAERS!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Somewhat less after the Night Owl Show this past weekend. In the words of the master. "I have miles to go before I sleep."

My understanding of the term is that it refers to the late sixties/early seventies Blue Note/Prestige organ funk sound.

The line between tepid fun and tacky funk is a thin one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    %3

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Tacky funk imo is some very mediocre cookie cutter funk song on 45 with absolutely no redeeming quality - usually with a title similar to "Brothers Funk pt. 1 by Time Eastley and the Twisters" or some shit. No break, no breakdown, no chord changes, slightly rare because it sucked when it came out & no one bought it."

You must not be much of a funk fan then, 'cause some of the best records in the genre slid by with no breakdowns or chord changes.

My understanding of the term is that it refers to the late sixties/early seventies Blue Note/Prestige organ funk sound.

Now THAT should be what "tacky funk" refers to. Really. And I like a lot of Blue Note/Prestige jazz-funk, but it had to grow on me, 'cause it sounded too deliberate and stiff next to, say, Dyke & the Blazers.

Even now, there's some funky jazz I'll steer clear of. I've never really heard Joe Thomas the Ebony Godfather, but I see those album covers and think no Frickin' way could this be any good. Jesse Morrison, too. Those LP's just have this whole "old jazz dude trying to keep up with the kids" stink about 'em. And how many versions of "It's Your Thing" did the world need anyway?

Bottom line: I'd rather hear some generic chicken-chokin' 45 with a title like "Do The Squirm - Parts One & Two" than some starving jazz guy doing souled-up versions of Carpenters tunes. With a flute as a lead instrument. THAT'S tacky funk right there.

War is good latin funk.

Even though there were no Latinos in the band?

At least not during their heyday?

• Options
    No funk is tacky.

• Tacky funk imo is some very mediocre cookie cutter funk song on 45 with absolutely no redeeming quality - usually with a title similar to "Brothers Funk pt. 1 by Time Eastley and the Twisters" or some shit. No break, no breakdown, no chord changes, slightly rare because it sucked when it came out & no one bought it."

You must not be much of a funk fan then, 'cause some of the best records in the genre slid by with no breakdowns or chord changes.

Yeah, i guess i'm not much of a fan come to think of it. Say funk around these parts and it means Roger and Parliament, which I absolutely can bump all day as opposed to Leroy Tweed and the Soul Blisters doing funky Toenail pts. 48 & 49

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    as opposed to Leroy Tweed and the Soul Blisters doing funky Toenail pts. 48 & 49

Well, that's where you fucked up, man. They didn't get that shit right until "Funky Toenail, Part 73."

• as opposed to Leroy Tweed and the Soul Blisters doing funky Toenail pts. 48 & 49

Well, that's where you fucked up, man. They didn't get that shit right until "Funky Toenail, Part 73."

Enki, do you REALLY think i can afford part 73? Come on man, I spent all the money on a denim jacket and vintage cordury trouser set which helps me spin funk 45s better, faster and louder than every other DJ.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I hope James Brown isn't tacky funk.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    as opposed to Leroy Tweed and the Soul Blisters doing funky Toenail pts. 48 & 49

Enki, do you REALLY think i can afford part 73? Come on man, I spent all the money on a denim jacket and vintage cordury trouser set which helps me spin funk 45s better, faster and louder than every other DJ.

Touche.

"You may think I don't know funk, but my pants say otherwise. RESPECT MY PANTS!"

PS: I have "Funky Toenail, Part 73" without the bells.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Sell me your copy of parts 48 and 49, and you'll have enough Sears Toughskins to last you through December.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    No funk is tacky.
    But all fonk is vapid.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    No funk is tacky.
    But all fonk is vapid.

Wah....what?

Owwwww!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    No funk is tacky.
    But all fonk is vapid.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. All of the latin music you post sounds like cornball schitt to me, but I know it has some value to someone.

• VAPID?

• as opposed to Leroy Tweed and the Soul Blisters doing funky Toenail pts. 48 & 49

I spent all the money on a denim jacket and vintage cordury trouser set which helps me spin funk 45s better, faster and louder than every other DJ.

the faux chicano santana experience.

ROFL-COPTEUR

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I like that one. My generic, catch-all funk 45 title is Earl Johnson and the Maytags "Funky Washing Machine."

I think I need to make up a new one because I think there actually was a funk 45 cut called "Funky Washing Machine."

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    Tacky Funk=Stanley Clark lp's?

tacky = 70-77 Mandrill lps?