THE BUDOS BAND

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
they don't get talked about enough on this forum and i want to know why

Comments

• Ah, the Budos Band

They are playing in London this Saturday at the Jazz Cafe alongside Antibalas

Am seriously looking forward to it. Taking my girlfriend with me

Must admit that I'm not to well up on Antibalas but do know that the Budos Band are incredible musicians.

Am hoping that El Michels Affair will venture over to perform in Blighty sometime in the near future

Props to you also Mr Soulman. Your last EP was very dope

and of course you always come correct with the mix CDs

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    they don't get talked about enough on this forum and i want to know why

Because they are not the sons of raer jazz cat and don't do funky OST covers.

SoulStrut Catflap.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Budos Band are that SCHITT!!!

If you ain't heard it, you are missing...

http://www.myspace.com/budosband

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

big fan!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    they are the cat's pajamas.
    love the budos band.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    does reynaldo consider them tacky?
    i like em.

• Budos rule earth.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I celebrate the entire catalog.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i like the first one, the second one i didn't like at all.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I say those Budos boys make more noise than a couple of skeletons throwin' a fit on a tin roof....I tell ya.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Budos Band is pretty much straight forward heat. I would think 00 Soul would be the real controversy.

They describe themselves as a...

funky soul dance band with a latin flavor. An eight piece brotherhood of live jazz and a DJ that make you move.

Shades of tacky funk and tacky latin? A DJ in a funky soul live jazz dance band with a latin flavor?

The mind reels.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

for my money, i don't know if it gets any better than this relpy.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Shades of tacky funk and tacky latin? A DJ in a funky soul live jazz dance band with a latin flavor?

The mind reels.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I celebrate the entire Daptone[/b] catalog.

but budos is definitely at the top of the list.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Also - on the band tip.... just checked the forth coming Mehanan St Band Lp.... f*** that is some dope s***!!!! Track 2 is killing it!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I ride.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

exactly.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love the tune featured in the NFL Network commercial...

• Love the tune featured in the NFL Network commercial...

The NFL Network STAYS on in my office, and I always wondered what that song was.

I have a couple of their 12s/45s, but looks like I'm gonna have to get the album now that Raj solved that mystery.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love the tune featured in the NFL Network commercial...

The NFL Network STAYS on in my office, and I always wondered what that song was.

I have a couple of their 12s/45s, but looks like I'm gonna have to get the album now that Raj solved that mystery.

Can't believe Bryant Gumbel won't be back next season to call games for NFN.

• Love the tune featured in the NFL Network commercial...

Did you see that Philly Inquirer article on NFL Films vs. NFLNetwork a few weeks back?

Interesting stuff...the days of Films are numbered. The days of the Network are here to stay.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Did you see that Philly Inquirer article on NFL Films vs. NFLNetwork a few weeks back?

Interesting stuff...the days of Films are numbered.

bad

really, really good

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Easily one of my favorite bands out these days. They pretty much take a dump on all of the other "new" funk bands out there these days, one of the only groups that truly has a distinct (and quality) sound of their own.

Not to thread-jack but if you like the Budos Band I highly recommend Nomo, both live and in the studio.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Being in a "new" funk band, I'm offended by that. It's bad enough funk gets NO radio play or Mainstream love. People are out there putting in work, and for you to sit back and talk shit isn't fair. It's tough putting a band together, and anybody who's holding it down for themselves in 08 gets props from me.

I was actually interested in who does most of the arranging for the Budos stuff. I know they got Tommy and Dave from the Dapkings who kill it on the regular.

But how do they work?

Don't even think I've seen a proper interview with them or anything.

- spidey

• i support the Budos Band but i also support what Malus Aranea said.

most of the "new" funk bands get no love for what they do nowadays. its funny because the "old" funk that you are listening to got no attention and love back in the days when it was "new"

thats just how it is, don??t tell me bullshit...

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Budos Band has the hits down. Their shit is ill. However, a track off Budos II was playing in the background on some MTV reality show tonight.
    Don't judge me on my TV viewing habits.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Thoughts on other funk/afrobeat bands? Nomo? I'm not a big fan of antibalas. sorry for the thread jack.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I thought neil sugarman had a large part in writing the arrangments for budos. I really liked the first album. I havn't had a chance to listen to the 2nd one yet. Its still sitting on my floor unopened. The Menahan street band is killin it too. I can't get that horn loop that Jigga used for roc boys outta my head.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Thoughts on other funk/afrobeat bands? Nomo? I'm not a big fan of antibalas. sorry for the thread jack.

http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/daktaris.html