any celiac/ gluten free heads out there???

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
im going through one of those times. you know what im sayin.....the spear in the gut feeling.anyone out there feel my pain?ive been feeling this way for over a week and have no idea where the gluten is coming from. as far as I can tell im eating clean

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my girl tells me that i may have celiac disease. i do have a shitty diet but i need to know more about this and its' symptoms. i am one of those pussies who don't go to see a doctor. but i have no insurance so

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I don't have celiac disease (or so I think..) but I don't eat anything with gluten in it for health reasons.

If you are avoiding the main culprits (pasta, bread) then check out any packaged, processed, or take out foods you might be eating. Consuming dairy products may also give similar symptoms as consuming gluten.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    far as i can tell im eating right. I do the knowledge, know what I can and cannot have, and how to make sure nothing is sneaking up on me but. but damn. somehow i must have half-stepped.

im basically rocking the steamed white rice and water diet now till this gets fixed (doctor appointment on the 15th)

looks like il be packin fela in the crate tonight! im gonna need multiple breaks.

to behemoth - signs of having Celiac disease are IBS like symptoms, fatigue, abdominal pains, lathargy, gas. if you gots those then you may have it. I hope you don't but if you do we can trade recipe's.

even if you don't have celiac, reducing the amount of wheat & gluten in your diet can help out a lot. between sandwiches, cereal, pasta, noodles, cakes, and booze, north americans get a lot of wheat in their diet. there are also convenient replacements such as brown rice pasta, hemp bread, and corn cereals.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    im basically rocking the steamed white rice and water diet now till this gets fixed (doctor appointment on the 15th).

Make sure to watch out for soy sauce

Are you taking any pro-biotics? I highly recommend dr. udos Super 5 Probiotic lozenges. They taste delicious (under the tongue) not sure if these are celiac safe, but dr udo is pretty bad ass so i would guess yes.

Also, have you ever tried taking bitters? Flora makes a pretty effective bitters.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

It's a tough thing to deal with, no doubt. I don't have it, but as a chef, I'm pretty up on what's off-limits and how much those ingredients show up in common, even healthy, foods.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    My brother has officially been a celiac for about 2 years and it has definately been getting a tonne worse for him of late!! The smallest amount of gluten affects him way worse than it ever did in the past and i'm hearing this to be true of many celiac's (and those trying to cut it out for other health reasons) i know! I never knew how bad it could get...my bro always just said that it made him wanna beat me up, so i just thought it was his excuse!haha!
    Anyway, now i'm always listening out for good gluten-free suggestions and i just heard about this beer called "Silly Yaks" that is actually meant to be ok!!

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    im basically rocking the steamed white rice and water diet now till this gets fixed (doctor appointment on the 15th).

Make sure to watch out for soy sauce

Are you taking any pro-biotics? I highly recommend dr. udos Super 5 Probiotic lozenges. They taste delicious (under the tongue) not sure if these are celiac safe, but dr udo is pretty bad ass so i would guess yes.

Also, have you ever tried taking bitters? Flora makes a pretty effective bitters.

naw, wheat is like the main ingredient in most soy sauces. I have found a few that work though

pro biotics? naw. looks like I need to wikipedia that and find out the skinny.

why do you ask about bitters? I tend to drink sprite with bitters to help the pain. (it actually works)

im thinking my problem is in contamination. like the cheese plate i ordered being made with a knife that just cut some bread.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    pro biotics? naw. looks like I need to wikipedia that and find out the skinny.

why do you ask about bitters? I tend to drink sprite with bitters to help the pain. (it actually works)

Both bitters and pro-biotics will increase your stomachs immunity to contamination. Pro biotics repopulate your stomach with healthy bacteria that aid in digestion, especially digestion of foods you may have difficulties with.

Bitters aid in digestion by increasing bile production which also helps to break down the food. And when i say bitters, I don't mean Angostura bitters like from the bar (there are barely any active ingredients in there.) I am talking about bitters from the health food store, usually swedish bitters or something like that.

If you have trouble pooping, get the bitters with senna leaf in the ingredients, if you don't make sure to stay away from the senna leaf, shit is city!

The proper approach to any digestive related problem from what I understand is to boost the digestive systems beneficial bacterias and bile. In france, whenever they prescribe anti-biotics, the also prescribe a pro-biotic since the anti-biotics kill off all of the good bacteria as well. Ask an american doctor about this and they will have no idea what you are talking about, but then again, my friend in medical school tells me that they spend a total of 1 month on nutrition and 5 years on pharmacology.

In france, whenever they prescribe anti-biotics, the also prescribe a pro-biotic since the anti-biotics kill off all of the good bacteria as well. Ask an american doctor about this and they will have no idea what you are talking about, but then again, my friend in medical school tells me that they spend a total of 1 month on nutrition and 5 years on pharmacology.

yeah, North American doctors are quick to prescribe anti biotics for the smallest things and don't think about the consequences. There are many bad things that can happen if effective measures are not taken place, like yeast infections and c. difficile infections.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my gf has a wheat and dairy allergy, cooking as a result has been a definite challenge. It really is staggering to see how pervasive wheat related ingredients are in foods.

The saddest part is pasta, which is one of best items to cook for a quick meal. Rice pasta is just awful, the mouthfeel is nowhere near that of al dente pasta.

As a result, I've mostly cooked asian. Although dumplings, egg noodles (la mien, ramen, wonton), etc are all off limits. :-(