RBMA Barcelona and why you should apply

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I posted a similar message around this time last year for RBMA toronto. Being that there are a lot of talented people here at SS and I figured I would let peeps know/remind yall that the time is here to apply for the redbull music academy which is happening in the lovely city of Barcelona this year (im jealous).a little bit of info on the academy from the www.redbullmusicacademy.com website:"The Red Bull Music Academy is an event that travels the world. A yearly celebration of all the journeys and breakthroughs, all the dreams and intricacies that go into the music we love. For two weeks, you'll be checking gear, chatting on tunes, and spinning in clubs, while getting a rare glimpse into local musical hybrids in a different country. Inbetween times, you can talk to people from around the world who started revolutions in sound. They're the people we look up to, and they're looking to you for a fresh perspective in turn."Its quite a nice setting for networking/learning new techniques/getting exposure/opening your mind/ getting drunk with your heroes (afterhours of course). I was a participant in 2006 (melbourne) and it was one of the better musical experiences, from a personal growth standpoint, that I have ever had. Most expenses are paid for so all you have to worry about really is getting the most out of the situation. And what a situation it is.anyways, it all starts with applying, which is the point of this post. for more info on the academy and the app in pdf form check out the site: http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/BACKGROUND.19.0.htmlIt is a quirky and long application (quirky is a way to sum up most things RBMA, but I say that with affection). A lot of people really like it though. some get frustrated by it. I think some peeps here applied last year and didnt get in. frustrated they said they were never going to do it again but perserverence is the key. It took me more then one try to get in.but yo, just wanted to bring this to your awareness and let you know Im up for helping yall through the application, or if you have any questions at all to just holler. no, I dont work for them. just trying to spread the word.( hey day, remember to turn your app in this time !!!!)

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    what did u submit for your app?

b

• pffff. make sure fuckwads send you the plane ticket if they ask you to come.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i apply in 1 or 2 years. too many good artists there

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I submitted the necessary application form (16 pages or so). You are supposed to send in your music so if you are a dj send a mix, if you are a producer send beats or whatever.

when it started it was all djs. when i went djs were the minority. there were more musicians and producers then djs by far. there was this dude from italy taht made music from unconventional things like vacuum hoses. he was dope! whatever music you do, send it. even if its accapella.

to cover the bases I sent a 40 minute mix and some beats I made. 1 hiphop beat that was finished, 1 brokenbeat beat that was a work in progress and something else.

if you want I will post my mix. it wasnt anything too obscure or anything. just great songs put together in a way that sounded right to me.

There are no limits on the type of music you want to submit ( time wise: if its a mix it has to be at lesat 30 min. long). However, I think if you were to send a mix of club bangers it would not be the move UNLESS you put it together in a really innovative way.

that last comment is just my own opinion though.....

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    yeah, I am aware of the ticket problem you had. I read it on the board here. Sounds like a shitty situation for you. Unfortunate.

From my experience, as a participant, it was great.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    i apply in 1 or 2 years. too many good artists there

nooo I wouldnt let that deter you. how dope your tracks are or how ill your cuts are do not dictate wether you are selected or not.

in fact the mix i sent was one of the shittier ones, technically speaking, that i had made in years.

From what I could tell they were trying to build the right groups of people from varying backgrounds so that all the participants in each term really complimented each other well. There were people from all sorts of backgrounds and experience levels. I am sure that your attitude/ personality has more to do with it then your skillz.

• I'm sure it is a great experience hell i was very excited to go. So much so that I left a high paying tour with Raekwon and flew home.

They know what they did and the fact that they have never even lifted a finger to make right makes them more bitch imo. As an extension of a faceless multi-national corporation that makes piss water for clubbers with unlimited resources for viral and lifestyle marketing - I would think that an invite to the next one, an apology and a real plane ticket wouldn't be to much to ask.

Ultimately it's the participants loss when people with info to offer are offed.

Good luck to everyone this year, and like I said, make sure your paperwork is straight before you tell your parents the good news.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    man that sucks. didnt know you left a tour for it only to find out it wasnt gonna work out. yikes.......

The music academy and RB are actually ran by two different companies. (As im sure you know based on your unfortunate experience). RB flips the bill basically.

just thought id mention that as I have been asked how corporate this thing is from the participants point of view. its not at all. there arnt logos all over the place, you dont sign over your music, you dont have to drink it in public or anything. do commercials...naw. you show up and soak up the knowledge/ collaborate/ have fun.

If I worked for the academy in any capacity id try to right that wrong for you man. that sucks

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'm sure it is a great experience hell i was very excited to go. So much so that I left a high paying tour with Raekwon and flew home.

They know what they did and the fact that they have never even lifted a finger to make right makes them more bitch imo. As an extension of a faceless multi-national corporation that makes piss water for clubbers with unlimited resources for viral and lifestyle marketing - I would think that an invite to the next one, an apology and a real plane ticket wouldn't be to much to ask.

Good luck to everyone this year, and like I said, make sure your paperwork is straight before you tell your parents the good news.

Didn't one of the ladies from RBMA register here to post??

paging her!

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    yeah im working on my application. i printed it out probably 2-3 weeks ago but i still havent answered a few questions. god i hate that shit

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    My biggest problem that the last one was so focussed on djing. Don't get me wrong, I love djing, but I think producers stand to gain more from it.

Either way I'll be trying to fill it in tonight! And LordRadio - you're right, not sorting the problem isn't just a bitch move, it's pretty amatuer too.

• RBMARBMA 4 Posts
    I'm sure it is a great experience hell i was very excited to go. So much so that I left a high paying tour with Raekwon and flew home.

five years later, and still full of hate - that should make us proud...

here's our pov: we did send you a paper ticket for your flight to the academy in cape town (yes, in 2003 they were still in use), which you didn't reveive for two reasons:

(a) there were transposed digits in your adress, caused by the travel agency we've been working with. the ticked returned to the travel agency after it couldn't be delivered. this mistake happened at our end.

(b) you only told us that you didn't reveive your ticket about 24 hours before you were supposed to leave for cape town. and even with working all night trying to get a new ticket issued, it was simply too late. this was totally beyond our control.

we offered you to come to the cape town academy later, which didn't fit your schedule. what more could we have done? apologize? as you might not remember after almost five years, we did that, too - more than enough.

if you want to continue posting about this, offend us, and tell people about your ???high paying tour with raekwon??? on all forums one can think of for the next five years, do your thing. just had to get this straight.

best

wulf / red bull music academy

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    I attended Seattle as an arranger / performer and I was very impressed by the whole academy. My one and only criticism (and it is only my opinion), is that there wasn't enough emphasis on musical ability / technique i.e. instrumental music and theory. OK so DJs might not need this and some producers might make great beats without any knowledge of musical theory. HOWEVER - for an academy where the lecturers were arrangers themselves (and I've seen RBMA lectures from guys like Leon Ware) there's an intrinsic requirement for musical theory. I felt that the great guests who lectured were certainly appreciated for what they've contributed to music over the last decades, but that the advice and knowledge they had to pass on could only be understood at a very basic level by most participants. I'm not being snobby, it's a fact - to be an arranger you need to know the theory, whether you're self-taught or classically educated at college.
    Wulf and his team were clinical with all the details of the academy and everything went incredibly smoothly. It was the same story when I performed at SONAR in Barcelona last year. Reading the story above, it sounds very unfortunate the the initial innocent mistake was made with the ticket address - but that RBMA are certainly not to blame beyond that, particularly since they've obviously apologised since. I'd be angry if it had happened to me, but in my experience RBMA have been exemplary at organisation and have always bent over backwards to ensure everything goes well.
    Tom

• I'm sure it is a great experience hell i was very excited to go. So much so that I left a high paying tour with Raekwon and flew home.

five years later, and still full of hate - that should make us proud...

here's our pov: we did send you a paper ticket for your flight to the academy in cape town (yes, in 2003 they were still in use), which you didn't reveive for two reasons:

(a) there were transposed digits in your adress, caused by the travel agency we've been working with. the ticked returned to the travel agency after it couldn't be delivered. this mistake happened at our end.

(b) you only told us that you didn't reveive your ticket about 24 hours before you were supposed to leave for cape town. and even with working all night trying to get a new ticket issued, it was simply too late. this was totally beyond our control.

we offered you to come to the cape town academy later, which didn't fit your schedule. what more could we have done? apologize? as you might not remember after almost five years, we did that, too - more than enough.

if you want to continue posting about this, offend us, and tell people about your ???high paying tour with raekwon??? on all forums one can think of for the next five years, do your thing. just had to get this straight.

best

wulf / red bull music academy

Gee Wulf that's fascinating. Transposed digits in my address, yet UPS nor any other courier had no record of a package being sent.

I Frickin' WENT TO THE AIRPORT WITH MY BAGS PACKED and guess what - NO TICKET HAD EVER BEEN PURCHASED OR ISSUED IN MY NAME. Don't you think if they lost the paper ticket they could issue me a new one for a small fee and let me on the plane if SOMEONE HAD ACTUALLY BOUGHT A Frickin' TICKET??!!! Please be serious. I wasn't offered to come to cape town again, that was the last session if i remember and the following your i wasn't offered a spot so basically fuck you guys.

Lest you forget i actually humbly filled out an application to go as an attendee.
    To go through all this. I should've sued your ass.

Peace.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts

?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

?

it just happened.

• HamHam 872 Posts

?

it just happened.

i really love it when 's happen