Midweek/Weekend finds 4/10-4/13

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Why do I never see Eddie Harris Smokin' anymore?

and how did he get away with being a saxophonist and using the name "eddie harris"
    when there was a more famous saxist with the same name who was alive, kicking and selling records by the ton? even if that was his given name, that's some brass balls right there...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Why do I never see Eddie Harris Smokin' anymore?

and how did he get away with being a saxophonist and using the name "eddie harris"
    when there was a more famous saxist with the same name who was alive, kicking and selling records by the ton? even if that was his given name, that's some brass balls right there...

yeah... thats that other eddie harris, i was thinking the same thing seeing this, im pretty sure i saw at one point a soul recording artist named james brown, or maybe he was a jazz musician, so not quite the same thing, but still..

finally had some time to run out visit a few thrift spots yesterday, came up with a few thingys:

also, should i keep picking this up everytime i see a nm copy... ?

grope u need the OG, right?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    and i got that soft machine too i think.. is it the one with the song that goes "I DID IT AGAIN" 987654321 times on it?

one of the best records EVER in my opinion.

I really dig it... my dad actually turned me on to it... I like some of their other revords but nothing else is like that one

the second one is closest.

for me and my soft machine favorites it goes in this order:

1,2,7,the rest.

i still need the 5th album if anybodys got it...by the way. only one im missing.

I like the Peel Sessions

little question regarding softmachine, what does the english orig release of this french byg record look like? its a early 67 recording, done before the offical 1st album..

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    little question regarding softmachine, what does the english orig release of this french byg record look like? its a early 67 recording, done before the offical 1st album..

no idea.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Broadway/6763/softmachine.html

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i'm still looking for a copy of the BBC session by soft machine ON HARVEST. i know someone that has the record. but i can't find ANY info on it.

• and i got that soft machine too i think.. is it the one with the song that goes "I DID IT AGAIN" 987654321 times on it?

one of the best records EVER in my opinion.

I really dig it... my dad actually turned me on to it... I like some of their other revords but nothing else is like that one

the second one is closest.

for me and my soft machine favorites it goes in this order:

1,2,7,the rest.

i still need the 5th album if anybodys got it...by the way. only one im missing.

i got rid of my copy of fifth recently -- its the worst one imo (most boring jazz rock - sounds very similar to 4) ...

i like 1,2,3 + 7 ...then the rest.

that Triple Echo boxset has lots of really nice unreleased takes of stuff - worth getting if you dont have it.

• little question regarding softmachine, what does the english orig release of this french byg record look like? its a early 67 recording, done before the offical 1st album..

i cant see the picture at work -- but i have that album.

has a white cover with a greeny- psychedelic photo of them playing live. a little boring if i remember... although it does have the genius Kevin Ayers on it.
    i'll have to get it out again.

i cant see the picture at work -- but i have that album.

has a white cover with a greeny- psychedelic photo of them playing live. a little boring if i remember... although it does have the genius Kevin Ayers on it.
    i'll have to get it out again.

ok, so theres a UK orig with that same cover... what label?

• i'm home now and can see the picture -- we're talking about the same record. i was confused, im afraid. my copy is BYG n'all.

i couldnt have been any less use if i tried!

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Found a SS Elias rahbani & orchestra "liza liza" thats featured on Captain Planets new ISH, check it out.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ive had to stay away from dealer's lists and ebay as of late as moolah has been tight, so it has been nice to find some nice records recently out in the field..

I found 3 copies of the Lulu, so if ya need one, hollar
    The Nappy Brown is the definition of

also got this!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ^those are awesome 45s! i dont know all of them, of course. but hey, i really like stuff ive found on that usa label and the whiz one.

ok, i will post what i found this week. but first let me try and boost my post count cuz i am so close to a million or whatevers!

but before i do that, can i tell you all how fucken hot it is here? its like 100 degrees and shit. i got the fans blowing and the lights turned off.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    These are some of my finds for this week. The 45's are :
    Booker T - Melting Po/Slum baby
    Fatback - Yum yum
    Los Papines - Si lo adivinas te doy un real/Homenaje a mi colega which is a Promo on Areito(Cuba)
    I bought that Curtis Mayfield LP from somebody here on the Strut and I gotta say the condition described was far from right(visually the LP is far from being as described). Let's just say I don't think I'll be buying from that strutter anymore.

I was also able to get a hold of about 20 45 adapters for $1.

this one is sealed. but im almost positive its modern soul and im not gon listen to it so sealed it stays.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

im not 100% sure, but from the sounds of it, its the same as this record (which i have):

IMG src=http://www.disco-robertwyatt.com/images/soft_machine/images/RockGeneration8_big.gif>

modern soul gospel

these last 2 are both gospelly modern funk type things. no covers.

haha! kalafinds!!!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    That Jimmy St. Clau is either awesome or totally blows. It is not just ok, I am sure of it.

its actually jimmy st clair. the weird font is throwing you off. and im gon say it totally blows. but im hoping some french dude thinks otherwise on ebay.

AHHH!

but hey isnt $10 canadian like about $100 usd these days?

• im not 100% sure, but from the sounds of it, its the same as this record (which i have):

IMG src=http://www.disco-robertwyatt.com/images/soft_machine/images/RockGeneration8_big.gif>

nah - i don;t think that's the same album. that has some cool stuff on though. some of that is on the "Triple Echo" boxset...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

It was nice to find some original press soul LPs for the first time in what feels like ages, the Little Johnny Taylor is even a white label promo.

punk & hardcore 7"s, Alone In A Crowd is the 2nd press on Flux, Inner Strength is an original Victory 01, Awake! & Up Front are originals too.

Pete Klint Quintet - Shake (this 45 is great, I'd never heard of this before today, organ heavy blue eyed soul/garage version of the Sam Cooke song) I was expecting some jazz version, but was blown away as soon as I dropped the needle on it.
    Nancy Wilson - My Sweet Thing (quality R&B side from her)
    Jessie Hill - Whip It On Me (I gave this away a while back, so it was nice finally find it again)
    The Jerms - I'm A Teardrop (more stellar 60s rock/r&b)
    Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart (guilty pleasure, nice to have on 45)
    Benny Spellman - Don't Give Up Love
    Candy & The Kisses - The 81
    Junior & The Classics - The Dog
    The Contours - Do You Love Me
    The Parliaments - (I Wanna) Testify
    Thanks to Button for some set sale action, great 45s man.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Bane 45 was like the last "new" hardcore 7" I ever played the hell out
    of, around 7 years ago. I would scream along to the straight edge lyrics even
    though I hadn't been any kind of straight edge for maybe 15 years. You know
    it's good if I'm singing along about the X (not) on my hand

I remember that Ray & Porcell 7" from BITD. Definitely remember laughing at the cover.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That Bane 45 was like the last "new" hardcore 7" I ever played the hell out
    of, around 7 years ago. I would scream along to the straight edge lyrics even
    though I hadn't been any kind of straight edge for maybe 15 years. You know
    it's good if I'm singing along about the X (not) on my hand

I remember that Ray & Porcell 7" from BITD. Definitely remember laughing at the cover.
    Cool, I pretty much only bought the Ray & Porcell because it's on Rev, not because it's awesome. It's pretty funny to hear then doing punk rock to a drum machine though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Took a quick road trip out to Western MA for a record
    show this morning ... free to get in, but gas & tolls = $35 :x
    Anyway, found a few decent things, and everything was cheap:

The soul stuff came from a guy who showed up late, touchy on
    condition but all $2-$3. Bought the Caetano from Thurston Moore,
    who had a lot of good jazz records and very decent prices.

The guy who sold it to me called the Austin Gravelding "loner folk"
    but it's more like edgy country pop - I liked it, kind of, I guess.
    Children LP is a winner. Now I want the CD with the original Cinema
    mix and all the before and after bonus tracks.

Was really hoping to dig for 45's out there, but only found a couple.
    The flip of the garage one is the real winner, moody gloomy ballad style.

And some stuff from the usual local spots:

Didn't know there was a second Seguida LP - the second side is some serious heat.
    I think I've "VG+ upped" that Capitols LP 2 or 3 times now ...