Midweek/Weekend finds 4/10-4/13

TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I couldnt locate the weekday finds and the weekend is approaching, so why not? Here's a second trip...Not as many raers this time. I ended up only having about 1 1/2 hr time to dig, so i only made it through about 250 records. To give you an idea of what's there this is about a 1/4th of the basment. There's so many i cant get to yet.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Happy Days Mailbox

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    can we put together a post of secret spots. no name dropping. but like, just pics of basements and weird places with records in it??

i am so interested in seeing basements full of records

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts

• That Full Court Press lp looks kinda rad.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Memories, I need to give my day job up & hit the road again. I miss diggin'.

• How did it take you an hour and a half to go through 250 records, that's what I want to know.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    How did it take you an hour and a half to go through 250 records, that's what I want to know.

Not everyone can average 3K in one hour, lulz.

• Options
    Why do I never see Eddie Harris Smokin' anymore?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://www.soulmensrecords.it/albums/funk45 Soul tornados.jpg>

for 50 cents. but theres a big C-shaped cracked on it so it skips nearly every groove. i gotta fix it somehow so i can play it the whole way through.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

^^ an OG deep cover at last, only 10 years after people cared! well i still care! heh
    i got to go thru a big pile of mexican/texican stuff, which i am clueless about,
    but i knew i dont like most of the traditional polka/accordion type stuff, so i was able
    to eliminate many based on that. these 4 were still pretty conventional, but had glimpses
    of oddness in the music (and cool covers) so i scooped, hoping they contained some gems. the baby jj is pretty funny actually strange voice.

wait...4 jacks and a jill had more than one album!?! and its pretty cool stuff, this
    ones sort of on the free design tip, its "fables" so its sort of kid friendly and playful.

ok, pidgeon is really cool, i had no idea. Jump is basically cock rock but with some
    good organ parts and other aggro early 70s style. the us bonds looks clean but my
    god it sounds terrible - cheap pressing im assuming.

second rare shangri-las cover in a matter of weeks, but some skips on the wax means its just for show. thats an early ken nordine, but its mostly music.

^^ great back door album (its not the one with the beastie sample but damn they are a cool band.)
    sons of thunder is a xtian 'teen group'. heres the strange introspective "i want to be"
    (excuse the pops near the beginning, some random dings i still need to try and soften up.)
    Sons Of Thunder - I Want To Be

^^ thats the OG '86 press of YOT on wishing well (this album has not aged very well ive decided).
    Great White Cane - Rick James' 1st (officially released) effort, 1971. I didnt
    realize it but he wrote and produced the whole thing.

^^ found 2x sealed live peace in toronto's with 2 different calendar variations.

some 45's, cheap randomness bought solely via needle dropping (later i find out if i scored a major bargain or not)

• there's a few nice tracks on that Eric Kloss...

got some trades from age in the post - and a good listen they are aswell:

the TRIPLE ECHO boxset is Frickin' great (apart from the last disc - not a fan of their later stuff .. but i knew that already anyway).
    the white cover is SPIDER JOHN KOERNER w/ WILLIE & THE BUMBLEBEES - "music is just a bunch of notes" - fun country / folk stuff with hand-printed sleeve.
    the "CALIFORNIA 99" is a wierd concept LP that, suprisingly to me, has two covers of songs on that MILLENIUM - "begin" LP - including a cleaned up version of the massive breakbeat opener!! nice.
    the first SOFT MACHINE is obviously great.

he chucked the 7 in for nowt:
    SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - "i aint got nobody" (great stuff!)

Age is a good egg.

i bought the book the other day for design inspiration - -- it's an interesting read aswell

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i found two sealed copies of the pied piper of funkingham. is that record any good? should i open a copy? i'd prolly sell it on eBay or trade it. not that deep into modern soul.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Used some trade credit to pick up the following yesterday:

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    How did it take you an hour and a half to go through 250 records, that's what I want to know.

Not everyone can average 3K in one hour, lulz.

that is ridiculously slow though....I mean...imo...

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts

There was heaps of rubish to move before i could even get to the records!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

20 euros for the lot.

• channonchannon 65 Posts

My first ever raer field find, is this considered "soul-jazz"?

any info. on this record other than what one can google would be appreciated.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    One dollar LP "Betty and Bobby go to the moon, a lunar adventure in the year 1985"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

raer philly record by a man who has a website and is still alive an well. i bought a sealed copy off him a couple years back...cardova hooked up the info to find him. fiends,he doesnt have copies. nice record. i was going to use it on aeiou3. goes for $200 pretty quick the several times ive sold it.

found this raer at a ghetto in front of the house sale at 10 oclock last night:
    (interweb pic)

pulled out of a stack of sinatra records.guy wanted a buck but i gave him the forty bucks i had on me. we were both real pleased.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts

raer philly record by a man who has a website and is still alive an well. i bought a sealed copy off him a couple years back...cardova hooked up the info to find him. fiends,he doesnt have copies. nice record. i was going to use it on aeiou3. goes for $200 pretty quick the several times ive sold it.

found this raer at a ghetto in front of the house sale at 10 oclock last night:
    (interweb pic)

pulled out of a stack of sinatra records.guy wanted a buck but i gave him the forty bucks i had on me. we were both real pleased.

as if you didn't already know
    you are a good person tony

• love that record by the cyrkle!

OG YOT! nice!
    legendary story from another board:
    about a year and a half ago somebody sold a test press of that record for around $1k and it got smashed by UPS.

OOF!

psyched to hit up a couple fleas tomorrow!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    A few thousand deadstock 45s in a garage this afternoon and not one of them was worthwhile.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

there's a few nice tracks on that Eric Kloss...

got some trades from age in the post - and a good listen they are aswell:

the TRIPLE ECHO boxset is Frickin' great (apart from the last disc - not a fan of their later stuff .. but i knew that already anyway).
    the white cover is SPIDER JOHN KOERNER w/ WILLIE & THE BUMBLEBEES - "music is just a bunch of notes" - fun country / folk stuff with hand-printed sleeve.
    the "CALIFORNIA 99" is a wierd concept LP that, suprisingly to me, has two covers of songs on that MILLENIUM - "begin" LP - including a cleaned up version of the massive breakbeat opener!! nice.
    the first SOFT MACHINE is obviously great.

he chucked the 7 in for nowt:
    SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - "i aint got nobody" (great stuff!)

Age is a good egg.

i bought the book the other day for design inspiration - -- it's an interesting read aswell

sup joe, yah i got that book! and i got that soft machine too i think.. is it the one with the song that goes "I DID IT AGAIN" 987654321 times on it?

peace

f.

and i got that soft machine too i think.. is it the one with the song that goes "I DID IT AGAIN" 987654321 times on it?

one of the best records EVER in my opinion.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    and i got that soft machine too i think.. is it the one with the song that goes "I DID IT AGAIN" 987654321 times on it?

I really dig it... my dad actually turned me on to it... I like some of their other revords but nothing else is like that one

I really dig it... my dad actually turned me on to it... I like some of their other revords but nothing else is like that one

the second one is closest.

for me and my soft machine favorites it goes in this order:

1,2,7,the rest.

i still need the 5th album if anybodys got it...by the way. only one im missing.

• channonchannon 65 Posts

Nice, thanks for the info.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

love that record by the cyrkle!

OG YOT! nice!
    legendary story from another board:
    about a year and a half ago somebody sold a test press of that record for around $1k and it got smashed by UPS.

OOF!

psyched to hit up a couple fleas tomorrow!

i am a big fan of that Illustration record

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    you all think that i was joking with the pied piper lps, right?