SERATO latency issue and other ?s (not me related)

2»

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You're still using 2 vinyl records and you're still DJing like you normally would so if you suck it will show no matter what you're using.

ME GUSTA!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    see the problem is this, most people see it as a black & white issue. It's either rocking serato or be an og pressing snob. Just becase I am an advocate for serato doesn't mean I ain't down w/ collecting. Can't you be both?

Everybody on here to some degree is an og pressing snob, it's just how far you want to take it. In the end, if you're at a party dancing and getting your sizzurp on. The last thing on your mind should be whether dude is rocking an og pressing or not. While there are many of us nerds, as proven by the success of this msg board. In the real world we are a drop in the pond, nobody cares as long as the girls are dancing.

Also serato turns everybody into that octopus dj cartoon on the ubb covers.........why fight something that can make life simpler?

Can't you be both?

SAYING

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    see the problem is this, most people see it as a black & white issue. It's either rocking serato or be an og pressing snob. Just becase I am an advocate for serato doesn't mean I ain't down w/ collecting. Can't you be both?

Everybody on here to some degree is an og pressing snob, it's just how far you want to take it. In the end, if you're at a party dancing and getting your sizzurp on. The last thing on your mind should be whether dude is rocking an og pressing or not. While there are many of us nerds, as proven by the success of this msg board. In the real world we are a drop in the pond, nobody cares as long as the girls are dancing.

Also serato turns everybody into that octopus dj cartoon on the ubb covers.........why fight something that can make life simpler?

Of course it can be both.

I said I like good music in the club.

Actually to be more specific, I like hearing YOUR music in the club, Day, I rock your 12 mucho frequent.

But I like it better when it's records, and I like records better when they are OG.

So, just to clarify, it's easy to find me in the club- I'll be sprouting roots next to the back wall with my nose turned towards the sky.

So, just to clarify, it's easy to find me in the club- I'll be sprouting roots next to the back wall with my nose turned towards the sky.

Young MC's, "Bust A Move" (Misheard Lyrics)

Misheard Lyrics:
    But you re standin on the wall like you was Poindexter.

Correct Lyrics:
    But she's in another world like you was Poindexter.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Why would I want to fuck up something that's not reissued and would be a pain in the ass and expensive to replace, when I can record it once and have double to cut up?

thats what I'm sayin. not to mention, you can share your collection with your friends and vice versa. fuggit. It's definitely changing the game though. I think it's the #1 reason why the bottom fell out of the 90s hiphop market. lotsa supply and not enough demand. that shit was artificially inflated anyhow.

• What about most of us on here who use that program but also have decent crates? Why would I want to fuck up something that's not reissued and would be a pain in the ass and expensive to replace, when I can record it once and have double to cut up?

HOLLAIR

This is where I would ask myself why I even need to own the record in question. Get rid of them baseball cards!

Jeebus, if I get get Serato I will sell sell 90 percent of my gawdamm records. That's why it scares me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The first time I saw Serato up close I could have sworn Cosmo and Ayres were playing OG vinyl and they were just too quick at changing the records.

We were using both that night. However, I can go through records dumb fast, on some 6 seconds a platter type shit.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    [
    This is where I would ask myself why I even need to own the record in question. Get rid of them baseball cards!

/

Jeebus, if I get get Serato I will sell sell 90 percent of my gawdamm records. That's why it scares me.

YADDER MANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

but yo, fuck OG vs. Re-issue. As long as the record is dope and it's getting dropped/mixed right I'm with it. I'd rather hear a good re-issue at a party then some obscure belgian congo private press.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was about to say, I'd use Serato for stuff like new club heat I'm not fond of getting and of course remixes/tracks that I made

yeah this sounds alot like the mp3 debate itself. indies who don't move that many units anyways will benefit from in-club promotion. major labels will lose out because dj's who don't get service (ayo) won't have to go out and buy every new Ying Yang Twinz record.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

So you're saying that being fabulously wealthy scares you?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I've got a question for the working dj's on the board: Are you guys afraid that this technology will make it easier for newbies/dorks to steal gigs out from under you? Finding records can be hella tough, mining soulseek with the help of some guidance from various on-line resources is something any foll can do. Sure, skills count for something, but if the audience is dwelling more on getting drunk or laid & doesn't care if you're spinning records, maybe you can cut corners on ablility, too...

h

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I've got a question for the working dj's on the board: Are you guys afraid that this technology will make it easier for newbies/dorks to steal gigs out from under you?

No.

Get 2 DJs - one good, one wack. Give them the same 10 records. Now stand back and watch the difference.

Also, Holiday - one of the beautiful things about Serato is that you can still play regular vinyl at the same time. Means you can take a crate AND Serato out if you wish.
    Most DJs I know started off this way until they realised that it's easier to record that crate into MP3 and just take Serato out.

For the Record (no pun intended):[/b] Serato does not make a wack DJ a good DJ. But it does make good DJs better DJs.

I've got a question for the working dj's on the board: Are you guys afraid that this technology will make it easier for newbies/dorks to steal gigs out from under you?

No.

Get 2 DJs - one good, one wack. Give them the same 10 records. Now stand back and watch the difference.

Also, Holiday - one of the beautiful things about Serato is that you can still play regular vinyl at the same time. Means you can take a crate AND Serato out if you wish.
    Most DJs I know started off this way until they realised that it's easier to record that crate into MP3 and just take Serato out.

For the Record (no pun intended):[/b] Serato does not make a wack DJ a good DJ. But it does make good DJs better DJs.

Noted.

But I have yet to see a DJ do anything with Serato that could not have been done just as well with records (save for playing their own rmx). Not that it couldn't be done, but I haven't heard it. When I hear a DJ take DJing to the next level BECAUSE of Serato then I might reconsider. I will still miss the wax tho.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I've got a question for the working dj's on the board: Are you guys afraid that this technology will make it easier for newbies/dorks to steal gigs out from under you? Finding records can be hella tough, mining soulseek with the help of some guidance from various on-line resources is something any foll can do. Sure, skills count for something, but if the audience is dwelling more on getting drunk or laid & doesn't care if you're spinning records, maybe you can cut corners on ablility, too...

h

nah. once you get to a certain level, the audience cares and the club owners and promoters care. if you are just playing music without any creativity or direction, and without any skills, then you aren't going to distinguish yourself enough to break out of the $150 - $200 lounge/bar circuit. unless you are a celebrity or a model. if you don't have skills then the bar owner could just plug in an ipod and save himself $200. if you are going to have a career djing, you need to build a rep, make good mix cds and be able to back it up live, unless you are a fabulous promoter.

a lot of promoters and club owners in NY are very wary of djs playing music out of a laptop, after having seen so many dudes have problems with FSL & SSL. there is a learning curve. you can't just walk in the club, plug your laptop in and rock. i have seen and heard of too many big-name club dudes who show up with a laptop before they have really figured out how to: run SSL, trouble-shoot if something goes wrong, organize their music and have everything sound good. and they lose gigs over it.

bottom line: if you're going to make a living[/b] djing, you have to either be good (no matter what format you are playing on) or have a really good gimmick.

and by the way, indy vinyl has been dying for years. SSL isn't going to make or break it. file sharing is just too much of a crapshoot and my shit has to be sounding good in the club. i definitely still buy records, especially small label stuff, party breaks, weird remix shit, reggae and tons of other stuff you can't find at chain stores. and if a single on a major label is good, i pick it up on record to have the intrumental and accapella. i just don't buy doubles anymore.

BTW- I like how you appropriated a line about digging to be about digital music, that's funny.

BTW- I like how you appropriated a line about digging to be about digital music

cosign

and I think Ayres nailed it re: djing gigs

I can imagine all hell breaking loose if there is some technical issue

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    A problem I encountered with Serato (which is partially my fault actually) is when I was editing the BPM tags in iTunes while playing the tracks through Serato, they wouldn't save properly. In order to remedy this, I had to delete the hidden ".ScratchLIVE" folder and the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. Both of these recreate themselves properly after starting each program. Or you could just avoid all of this by not being dumb like me.

In regards to the vinyl debate earlier in the thread, I honestly don't think the recent popularity of "digital DJing" is going to hurt indies that much. If anything, it HELPS them because not too many people are pressing vinyl nowadays so your shit wouldn't have been played in the first place. As far as aesthetics go, I can understand the vinyl purist point of view, but can you really tell me that you wouldn't be feeling an otherwise awesome set because dude was using Serato instead of vinyl? Music is music and as long as shits working fine, I don't see the big deal. The way things are going, I can see a DJ booth with a dedicated desktop installed in it for Serato becoming fairly common.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    have heard that it's really slow loading up songs. now the person that told me this has a ridiculous amount of shit on his drive so that might be the issue. has anyone else had this problem? ie. if i wanted to just play like 10 sec of a song and go to another one how does it perform?

anyone?
    thanks.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    have heard that it's really slow loading up songs. now the person that told me this has a ridiculous amount of shit on his drive so that might be the issue. has anyone else had this problem? ie. if i wanted to just play like 10 sec of a song and go to another one how does it perform?

anyone?
    thanks.

it loads up songs really fast - and my laptop only has about 2 GB of empty HD left. much faster than a CDJ. almost instantly, like less than a second.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    the key to serato performance is just as others have said.

keep your stylus clean and keep the control records clean and up your RAM as much as possible.

==

serato fun tip of the day:

command-control-option-8 try flip to negative-color scheme (at least for powerbook users).

==

and what's this "i should upgrade to 1.3" talk - get with the 1.4 public beta -- the beginnings of key correction is already there in internal mode"