The Olympic Torch Thread

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
(CNN) -- The Olympic torch relay was disrupted Monday by protesters in Paris demonstrating against the Chinese government, causing authorities to twice extinguish the flame and put the torch on a bus, according to The Associated Press.plus 37 arrested in London.What is your take on this?Mine: Fuck the Olympics. 3000 police in Paris guarding the torch?serious bullshit. And when is a major athlete gonna have the balls to boycott?lets discuss.

Comments

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    No one will have the balls to boycott. They wouldn't want their flow of cheap consumer goods to dry up.

I think a boycott of the opening ceremony would be most appropriate.

Hopefully the torch gets an icey reception wherever it goes.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

most athletes have their eyes on the lucrative sponsership deals then making a statement.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i say, as soon as that flame burns out...no olympics till the next "season"

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

What is your take on this?

Fuck the Olympics.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

What is your take on this?

Fuck the Olympics.

you guys sound fat.

• most athletes have their eyes on the lucrative sponsership deals then making a statement.

ironically how many times has that image been used in advertising though?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    No one will have the balls to boycott. They wouldn't want their flow of cheap consumer goods to dry up.

I think it's ridiculous to expect athletes to boycott the games really. These people have been training for years day in, day out to be at their peak for the Olympics in Beijing. To throw away years of their lives in a boycott that, in the scheme of things, will achieve very little is quite absurd. Especially when most athletes in a lot of sports aren't mega stars by any stretch and have short careers where they can't afford to boycott something when it will have no impact.

I think the athletes should by all means do their best to speak out before, during and after the Olympics, but their protest shouldn't mean they have to waste their talent.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ^^^ true ^^^

where my cycling dudes at?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I think it's ridiculous to expect athletes to boycott the games really. These people have been training for years day in, day out to be at their peak for the Olympics in Beijing. To throw away years of their lives in a boycott that, in the scheme of things, will achieve very little is quite absurd. Especially when most athletes in a lot of sports aren't mega stars by any stretch and have short careers where they can't afford to boycott something when it will have no impact.

I think the athletes should by all means do their best to speak out before, during and after the Olympics, but their protest shouldn't mean they have to waste their talent.

If you want to boycott something, boycott Chinese made goods.

The whole, using the Olympics as a subtle way to put pressure on China, is just furking
    They should never have been given the games in the first place.

The problems in Tibet have been going on for years, and the intonational community does fuckall about it, because they're scared of upsetting China. The politicians thought they could use the Olympics as a sly way of pressuring China, without actually having to do anything, but it hasn't worked. Now the athletes are meant to take a stand, gtfo.

b/w

"u wana buy dvd?"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think it's ridiculous to expect athletes to boycott the games really.

I agree with this. I was reading an interview with local shot put hero Joachim B. Olsen where he was basically saying the same thing and pointing out the hipocrisy of demanding that athletes boycott the Olympic Games while their country's government and corporations are constantly dealing with China on every level under the radar. Doesn't compute.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    bollocks.

So because some athlete trains for the Olympics, we are expected to turn a blind eye to the situation in Tibet?

Forgive me for holding the basic human rights of Tibetan citizens higher than the rights of athletes to win medals.

Yes, we as a society should have spoken louder when China was awarded the games, shame on us for not doing so. But now, closer to the games, China are stepping up their occupation in Tibet and the IOC have begun the marketing so the general public are more aware.

The IOC are a pack of corrupt old boys who whore their brand to the highest bidder every 8 years. fuck them.

The Olympics are held up as a symbol of unity, the torch as a uniting emblem bla bla bla yet it needs to be guarded by 3000 police in Paris due to people seeing through their money driven scam? what a laugh.

Oh, and it was a Nazi idea as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/14/sports...2af29b8&ei=5070

And dont even get me started on our collective governments' role... cheap consumer goods indeed.

yes it is fucked that it is now the athletes that are 'expected' to boycott, but in all honesty, does our governments non-action negate their responsibility?

EDIT: Parisian rollerblade cops are

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    bollocks.

So because some athlete trains for the Olympics, we are expected to turn a blind eye to the situation in Tibet?

Out of curiosity what have you done for Tibet?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hey, I feel your indignation, NZ. I just feel it's real weak that there always has to be some media "event" for people to do something. Come on, we've known about this shit for years and years now. And is sitting in front of your computer and calling for an Olympic boycott really "doing something"? Shit is too easy. To me, it's comfortable finger pointing.

What is the average Joe doing to help human rights in China? Talking about it by the water cooler at work. "What a disgrace, those poor Tibetans!". While the politician he voted for last year is negiotating deals with the Beijing chamber of commerce, his bank of choice is consolidating its latest Chinese investments, and his shirt is made in China. Does not compute

This was not a jab at you, NZ. I'm just a little frustrated with the hipocrisy of people I speak with in general. They need to look at their own actions first before coming with the comfy athlete boycott talk IMO.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I fully support boycotting China. I've donated to causes supporting Tibet. I've gathered petitions signatures getting people to support the cause. I limit my products from China as much as possible.

BUT people throwing water on a person who's holding the torch is bullshit.

• BUT people scaling the Golden Gate Bridge to protest the torch is bullshit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/04/07/state/n104011D53.DTL&tsp=1

I wonder how many of these protesters actually read their consumer labels and avoid products from China? There are alternatives.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    10 or so years ago, I dated a girl who's family are Tibetan, so obviously I'm expert on the subject.
    We used to go to protests and hand out flyers etc. I met several of the leading Lamas, and many people who were/are campaigning for change in Tibet. But nothing has improved for Tibetans over the years of peaceful protest, so I completely understand why they are using this to get some worldwide attention.

10 or so years ago, I dated a girl who's family are Tibetan, so obviously I'm expert on the subject.
    We used to go to protests and hand out flyers etc. I met several of the leading Lamas, and many people who were/are campaigning for change in Tibet. But nothing has improved for Tibetans over the years of peaceful protest, so I completely understand why they are using this to get some worldwide attention.

I say line the streets with protestors and pile in front of every Chinese embasy, but do not assault the person carrying the torch.

"comfy athlete boycott"

I think it is more due to the raised profile of both China, China in Tibet and the Olympic games that has raised awareness in the general population.

Unfortunately, the athletes that have trained hard will suffer as they are representatives of their countries on a world stage seen by millions of people all aware of the 'Tibet situation'.

And those carrying the torch are contributing to a symbolism that is entirely inappropriate in this instance.

I just hate the hypocrisy of the IOC.

I feel for the athletes, i have friends who train hard, i know what this means to them, but, like i said before: basic human rights before anything else.

What have i done to help Tibet?

Donated, leafleted, boycotted... the usual crap that privileged white 'first world' citizens do to try and shake off some of the guilt.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Anyone see this video on Youtube today?

People really hate the Olympics, and I can totally understand why.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I say line the streets with protestors and pile in front of every Chinese embasy, but do not assault the person carrying the torch.

Yer, we did that 10 years ago. Others have been doing it for a lot longer.
    You can't really teach the Tibetans about peaceful protest, they've been doing it for 50+ years.
    I kind of agree with you, but I understand why people want to protest in this way.

• i agree with those who state that the burden of political action should not fall on the shoulders of athletes who devote their lives to these moments of competition (no matter how cheesy it sounds as i write it). it's the fault of the i.o.c. and the olympic committees of the various nations who let the games happen in china. the problems that exist today existed when china was selected. they should've selected more judiciously.

i do think the torch protests are a good look. it tarnishes the olympic sheen without throwing the athletes under the bus.

re: tommie smith and john carlos in mexico city: pray tell what ads their image has been used in. waximilien seems to think alot. i've only seen that image used in an italian communist party poster. that seems to be a decent use of the their image.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    but how about the already-established sports superstars who could probably compel their shitbag sponsors and the the countries that host the shitbag sponsors' sweatshops to change their practices with like one televised press conference?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    but how about the already-established sports superstars who could probably compel their shitbag sponsors and the the countries that host the shitbag sponsors' sweatshops to change their practices with like one televised press conference?

King James the Activist?
    Why take the long way to his first billion?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Why take the long way to his first billion?

his sentiments exactly. he should wait till he gets Jordan-big and then start agitating for change. you know, like Jordan. wait...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    China is like the wild west, or other lame analogies for rapidly industrialised times. The only thing that talks, is money.
    Several of the big sports wear manufacturers have recently given up trying to stop bootleg goods being made there, cause it was just hopeless.

I think it will take a little more than a few 'established sports superstars' to change things.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    China is like the wild west, or other lame analogies for rapidly industrialised times. The only thing that talks, is money.
    Several of the big sports wear manufacturers have recently given up trying to stop bootleg goods being made there, cause it was just hopeless.

I think it will take a little more than a few 'established sports superstars' to change things.

Agreed. Plus, America is addicted to cheap consumer goods moreso than making tougher moral choices. (Disclaimer: I can't claim universally to be the latter.)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Agreed. Plus, America is addicted to cheap consumer goods moreso than making tougher moral choices. (Disclaimer: I can't claim universally to be the latter.)

Not just America, but most of the world.

China has us by the balls.

Only India can save us now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck Y'all in watchin Yao Ming run with that shit high in the air.