the soul capital of the world?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Ok so pound for pound, which US city would you say gave us the greatest soul and funk music? There are the big names in history like Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, NOLA, Philly and so on. But then you've got the smaller cities. Although not as prolific, some of them put out some seriously heavy records as well. I'm thinking of places like Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Baton Rouge etc... Then also, there are the bigger cities that never got a lot of credit in the Historical sense. Places like Houston or Miami. I definitely don't have an answer to this. I'd be comfortable saying that the Rust Belt as a region put out some seriously massive cuts on all fronts, and is probably where I'd start. But to narrow it down to one city is too tough. Anyone?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There really can't be a capital city, because the styles are
    too diverse. The styles are too distinct to be compared so
    generally. In other words, Detroit. haha.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Detroit
    Agreed. Well that concludes this thread I suppose.

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    it isnt durango colorado.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Detroit
    Agreed. Well that concludes this thread I suppose.

Until the one Mr. Canal lets us all know that Detroit is where The Lizards come from and that New Orleans is the One True Funk And Soul City Ever.

• digging for soul in detroit =

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    digging for soul in detroit =

is that bad or good?

But then you've got the smaller cities. Although not as prolific, some of them put out some seriously heavy records as well. I'm thinking of places like Indianapolis, Milwaukee,

Some killer soul records may have come from those cities, but to call them soul capitals is a stretch.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    if it's not detroit...it's chicago...

if it's not chicago...it's either nyc or l.a.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

if it's not chicago...it's detroit[/b]

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

if it's not chicago...it's detroit[/b]

Can DC get a close 3rd? I would say Chicago and Detroit are in a three-way tie with Memphis as the top spots.

• nessness 249 Posts
    detroit. detroit. detroit.

so many labels pre-motown. so many people making music.

but the whole funk triangle in the midwest, ohio, illinois, indiana.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Memphis.

All the ingredients were here, raw R&B, gospel...I would argue soul was born here.

More like a syncronicity with Detroit...happened at the same time in two different places, but I gotta rep the hometown.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I don't know how it could not be Chicago. Anyone who's ever seen Dante's discography knows this is true.

I don't know how it could not be Chicago. Anyone who's ever seen Dante's discography knows this is true.

and yet...it's detroit...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    How about a March Madness style bracket to determine the winner? I'd pick Detroit

How about a March Madness style bracket to determine the winner? I'd pick Detroit

I've said my final four...

Detroit (winner), Chicago (second), L.A., NYC

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

pfffff

Dante would list Andy Warhol as a Pittburgh artist & you know that ain't right

I'd replace LA and NYC with NOLA and Memphis. You gotta give it up to them for being associated with soul music more. LA and NYC (and Chicago) had more output just cuz of the size of the city, but nobody really associates those cities with soul when speaking of them.

I'd replace LA and NYC with NOLA and Memphis. You gotta give it up to them for being associated with soul music more. LA and NYC (and Chicago) had more output just cuz of the size of the city, but nobody really associates those cities with soul when speaking of them.

ahh...well, if you are talking "feeling of"/connection...them maybe I'd choose other...but, I thought we were talking straight output of soul music...therefore I stand by my final four...

LA and NYC (and Chicago) (...)nobody really associates those cities with soul when speaking of them.

I'd remove Chicago from that statement...sure, in the general public's mind, Memphis, Detroit and possibly NOLA comes first, but then again, Chicago gave black music the Chi-Lites, Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, "Rescue Me," "Your Love Keeps On Lifting Me Higher & Higher," the Dells, "Twine Time," Otis Clay, "Shake A Tail Feather," Major Lance, Beggin' Tyrone Davis, all them cats. Chicago may not be THE soul capital, but it is A soul capital - that isn't just record-collector wishful thinking, that's plain brass-tacks facts.

LA and NYC (and Chicago) (...)nobody really associates those cities with soul when speaking of them.

I'd remove Chicago from that statement...sure, in the general public's mind, Memphis, Detroit and possibly NOLA comes first, but then again, Chicago gave black music the Chi-Lites, Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, "Rescue Me," "Your Love Keeps On Lifting Me Higher & Higher," the Dells, "Twine Time," Otis Clay, "Shake A Tail Feather," Major Lance, Beggin' Tyrone Davis, all them cats. Chicago may not be THE soul capital, but it is A soul capital - that isn't just record-collector wishful thinking, that's plain brass-tacks facts.

Yeah, you're right... that's why it was in parentheses... I was thinking that for NY and LA mostly.

• How about a March Madness style bracket to determine the winner? I'd pick Detroit

, with the addendum Chicago > NYC > LA when it comes to soul music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LA doesn't even really belong in the discussion though.

Sorry.

• san antonio = underappreciated

tops in texas.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    LA doesn't even really belong in the discussion though.

Sorry.

how do you figure?

san antonio = underappreciated

tops in texas.

yes, but influential?

it may have a good soul rep with us collector folk, but...

• digging for soul in detroit =

is that bad or good?

Always good. I live in Oakland now, but am originally from the suburbs of Detroit. Every time I go there for holidays, family, friends -- It makes me want to move back, just so I can pull ridiculous shit all day on the cheap.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NEW YORK DOO_WOP BITCHES!!!!!

I still consider southern/midwestrn cities > coastal cities.