Beck - Hell Yes?

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Man I just listened to this tune again... and it's pretty god damn good.I kinda passed over the whole Guero album like except for that Farewell Ride track. It's on some Young Guns the movie steeez.But anyways, anyone get into Hell Yes? It seems like it could work a dancefloor.

Comments

• Cosign

Hell Yes, Earthquake Weather and a couple more were on heavy rotation in the mind garden when the album first dropped. Dust Bros STILL ain't nothin to fuck with.

But yeah, I think the track could do well on a dancefloor. I mean, depending on what other stuff yer spinnin.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    hell yes, yes.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yo BeatChemist pls check the Announcement section regarding your mix. (couldn't get thru to your PM mang)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Odelay for the 2005.

Hells yes.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Man I gotta check that out when I get back from work.

Odelay was the BOMB.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Yeah - a friend's been playin' this at work and it is quite good.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Deborah, Beer Can and Tropicalia are my Beck joints

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Odelay for the 2005.

Hells yes.

ehhh, I dont know about that. Odelay was/is the shit. This one seems more like an attempt to be cool again. It has some moments, but cant hold a candle to Odelay.

Did you notice how many photos of himself were in the liner notes this time? damn, Beck get a grip.

The expanded cd/dvd version was a waste too. The dvd appeared as though it would have videos for every song, but they were nothing more than random colors on the screen while the music played. Maybe if you owned a bar or something, but who would sit at home and watch that shit?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dust Bros STILL ain't nothin to fuck with.

I think their only misstep was a few of the fight club tracks (too trancey/big beat wannabe sounding). Otherwise, they have had their beats on lock since Paul's Boutique. I remember reading an article in Keyboard magazine with them on the cover back in '97 or something. They mentioned that when they sample they use a turntable with a beat up needle to get the warmest sounds out of wax. They were using Cubase back in the day, too.

...and you know they're still spending that Hanson Mmmbop money

(did anyone else notice that song has scratching on it?)

Beck - Debra =

Dude has got some vocal range fo sho. Puts on a killer live show, too. Anyone else remember all that midnight vultures madness with the rotating Zebra-head mannekin and zonked out show? Saying.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I think their only misstep was a few of the fight club tracks (too trancey/big beat wannabe sounding)

Wasn't that the other dust brothers? I could be way off but I was under the impression there were two sets of brothers, one set which did the big beat thing. I may be trippin'. It's barely a memory.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Beck - Debra =

co-sign.

love this for the summers. banging it loud on the way to work just this morning yo.
    'i cold stepped to you with a fresh pack of gum' - how many times have i tried that move? a lot.

Wasn't that the other dust brothers? I could be way off but I was under the impression there were two sets of brothers, one set which did the big beat thing. I may be trippin'. It's barely a memory.

You are wrong, sort of. Jon King and Mike Simpson are the OG and only Dust Brothers. They have been at it since the early 80s making beats and hosting a radio show at Claremont college here in SoCal and doing all types of fany stuff like beats and remixes. At one point I believe Jon was A&R at Dreamworks in the late 90s, too.

Anyhow, when the whole big beat/techno thing happened in the late 90's, the Chemical Brothers first named themselves the "Dust Brothers," which I think they did because they respected the OG Dust Brothers production. Anyhow, after they started releasing stuff and blowing up, they got a C&D or they realized that the OG Dust Brothers were still around (before their Exit Planet Dust LP was dropped), so they renamed themselves the "Chemical Brothers." Around the same time Odelay was released and the rest if history.

I'm pretty sure the Dust Brothers eventually met the Chemical Brothers and everything was cool.

*from the Chemical Brothers official website:

"Ed Simons (tall, curly hair) and Tom Rowlands (taller, long hair) met while studying history at Manchester Poly in 1989. They'd come from the south to Manchester for the music and launched themselves at the club scene with a vengeance. From nights at the legendary Hacienda, to raves in Blackburn and misbehaviour at clubs like Justin Robertson's Spice and Most Excellent they soaked it all up. When they started to DJ ("borrowing' the name the Dust Brothers from the American producers of the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique), they put their own spin on things. During their first residency at Naked Under Leather (as debauched as its name suggests) they established a party-starting reputation for going where most other DJs feared to tread: joining the dots between acid house, hip hop and rock."

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah the production on deborah is so sweet

• During their first residency at Naked Under Leather (as debauched as its name suggests) they established a party-starting reputation for going where most other DJs feared to tread: joining the dots between acid house, hip hop and rock."

i love how in retrospect everyone was doing this back in the day.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Anyone who wants to check the tracks out, go HEEYA.

Paece!

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Ever notice that DCarfagna looks a whole lot like Beck?

• i like the new beck album alright but i prefer the versions on that first 12in that dropped with all the video game beats.

• Odelay was/is the shit. This one seems more like an attempt to be cool again. It has some moments, but cant hold a candle to Odelay.

Exactly.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    no thanks... it all seems like a gap/ipod advertisment. every single song. what's up with the rumored "countrified" album in the works for the past, 10 years or so?
    ...yes
    ...hell yes

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i like the new beck album alright but i prefer the versions on that first 12in that dropped with all the video game beats.
    Yeah that shits rad! I don't see why people can't like the new stuff and the old stuff, it's all good.

...hell yes

YES!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't see why people can't like the new stuff and the old stuff, it's all good.
    you were rocking the old shit back in 93 dood. it's just not the same as driving to my parents', listening to "ozzy" on acid... memories...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here is a review of Guero that iterates my exact feeling for it (although it's kinder on E-Pro). It's written by my erstwhile buddy Mark Donohue. Great shit.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    It seems like it could work a dancefloor.

Confirmed. This shit peels fools caps back like Ice-T.