Endtroducing vs Donuts

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    but donuts is 100 percent pure soul

This is how I feel about it, too.

It's rich, melancholy and also has a make-out record feel to it.

I don't like it more because of his passing, but I do feel differently about it.
    I think the question is not how people would feel about it he was still with us, but whether it would have had the same depth and heart if he was making it under the different circumstances.

Entroducing was good on the first few listens, now I don't hear it at all if it's on...like background music.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There will always be a soft spot in my heart for Entroducing... it's the record that got me into DJing. I don't listen to it much anymore, but I'll always be a Shadow fanboy regardless of what anyone on this board thinks about him or how uncool it is around here to like him.

And sorry... never got into Dilla. Heard Donuts once and thought it was okay, but never listened to it again. Respect his work and RIP, but not a fan.

I'm so not Strut-hip right now

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They're both unique styles from great producers whose styles have been jacked so hard that it makes their own work harder to listen to.

But try as they might, no one has been able to match the sounds on either one of those records.

I'll take the Private Press over Endtroducing.

Private Press didnt get that much love when it came out, but i peeped it recently and its has marinated well.

No Hijack though.

Im really curious to hear how dudes who ride the Do-Nuts now, will feel about it in 10 years.

Entroducing doesnt hold up as a whole for me but there are easily 3-4 track that are still heat to this day.

• But I'm just an old dude with an expensive Blue Note fetish. What do I know?

Aw man, I meant it commiseratively. I actually pulled Donuts out of the "to sell" box and brought it to work to re-evaluate.

I'm coming from a place where Shadow's album is an all-time fave and "Donuts" missed me...that's all I meant.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i just did a google search for "private press" and found it wikipedia. scrolled down and they listed all the samples for each song. when did the wiki wiki start doing this madness???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This conversation reminds me of some of the debates that came out about 10 years back that were on some "Shadow vs. Spooky" tip and what was always interesting was some of the racial subtext...that Shadow often got praised b/c people saw his work as intellectual while people found Spooky too intellectual and not soulful enough, the underlying suggestion being that Black artists appeal to the body, White artists to the mind.

Which makes me wonder if people would call "Donuts" "100% Soul" if Dilla had been White. Or how "Endtroducing" would have been received if Shadow was Black.

In my opinion, both albums are soulful and brilliant but for different reasons. Cue apples vs. oranges.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I think as far as technical proficiency that Donuts is a "better" album, but thats like comparing sports figures from the 60s to modern players. I think entroducing has a lot more junk on it than donuts does, but Dillas stuff is new.

Anybody else notice a prefuse73 influence on Dilla during donuts?

Anybody who slept on donuts though, that shit is amazing. Some really awesome shit on there. Plus the fact he died right after adds a certain mysticism for me.

Both are great but If I had to choose one to play right now it'd be donuts. Though the high points on entroducing are a bit higher than Donuts for me.

I really wish people would stop shouting dilla out at relatively tasteless times in LA. I know thats going to come off bad... its just becoming wierd and makes me cringe.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "I really wish people would stop shouting dilla out at relatively tasteless times in LA."

? What you mean?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

NO.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    off-topic, but what happened to that dude RJD2?

• Comparing apples to oranges?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

And it's a bit callous to say, but I'm suspicious that it wouldn't have gotten the love that it did if it hadn't been for the events of the day it came out.

did i miss something? what happened the day it came out other than it coming out?

Jay Dee died.

off-topic, but what happened to that dude RJD2?

He made an unlistenably bad singer-songwriter album. Check it out. It's called the Third Hand. Better yet, don't check it out. It's terrible.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    This conversation reminds me of some of the debates that came out about 10 years back that were on some "Shadow vs. Spooky" tip and what was always interesting was some of the racial subtext...that Shadow often got praised b/c people saw his work as intellectual while people found Spooky too intellectual and not soulful enough, the underlying suggestion being that Black artists appeal to the body, White artists to the mind.

That's a ridiculous argument, albeit not surprising... Spooky can be perceived as overly intellectual because he's an academic and a writer. I like Spooky's music, but I'd rather not hear him talk about it???kind of ruins it for me.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

NO.

You must be shrooming.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

That's a ridiculous argument, albeit not surprising... Spooky can be perceived as overly intellectual because he's an academic and a writer. I like Spooky's music, but I'd rather not hear him talk about it???kind of ruins it for me.

Exhibit A:

DJ Spooky has said that much of his work "deals with the notion of the encoded gesture or the encrypted psychology of how music affects the whole framework of what the essence of 'humaness' [sic] is... To me at this point in the 21st century, the notion of the encoded sound is far more of a dynamic thing, especially when you have these kinds of infodispersion systems running, so I'm fascinated with the unconscious at this point."

Exhibit B:

"What's important is that I articulate that [the new hip-hop experimentalism] is not just one person--it's a movement. I have no interest in lecturing, musically or verbally. All I want to do is expose people to a few hours of really good music. I want it to be like an education, without feeling like one." - Shadow

And it's a bit callous to say, but I'm suspicious that it wouldn't have gotten the love that it did if it hadn't been for the events of the day it came out.

did i miss something? what happened the day it came out other than it coming out?

Jay Dee died.

nope. donuts was released on his birthday, feb 7th, but j didn't pass until the 10th.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Please to leave DJ Spooky's sorry ass out of this thread.

• nessness 249 Posts
    ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

Jay Dee died.

nope. donuts was released on his birthday, feb 7th, but j didn't pass until the 10th.

So you knew what everyone was referring to and asked the question so you could then point out that everyone was, in fact, wrong about the exact date, because you're the guy who remembers everyone's birthday.

Nice.

ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

= BLIP HOP

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

where are folks putting Donuts in this list?

ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

Instrumental Hip Hop

Jay Dee died.

So you knew what everyone was referring to and asked the question so you could then point out that everyone was, in fact, wrong about the exact date, because you're the guy who remembers everyone's birthday.

Nice.

pretty much. its a product of having 5 minutes worth of work to do and still having to sit here all day.

• nessness 249 Posts
    ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

JUMP UP JUNGLE

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    PAGING PLUR

• serious music > fun music

ALWAYS

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Do people really think Shadow's stuff is prog?

Anyways...this also came up when I typed 'emerson king arthur' and I think it answers my question.

two questions:

1 - why the nails on one hand and not on the other?

2 - I have always wanted some killer press-ons, complete with pierced pinky nail with a small gold hoop. However, I do not understand how I am supposed to wash dishes, type, ties my laces, button/zip clothes and hold babies without taking out one of their eyes. How does one function with such nails?