Endtroducing vs Donuts

124»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I always thought instrumental hip-hop was a racially motivated thing. This way, white bedroom producers can make hip hop without having to find black guys to rap over their schitt. It's divisive. It's not bringing people together. I have a dream today: where white dudes who spend all day in their rooms trying to "quantize their presets" or some schitt interact with gully ass dudes who spit their pain over wax.

Let's build people.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Donuts was some mad boring shit. Geek down was the only thing that remotely banged and peeps used that sample before anyway.

long stem shits on j dilla's entire ouvre

Nerds like you amaze me. Listening to albums to seek out the "banger" and discarding the rest because it's obviously way over your head. I'd say Donuts is my choice here. Not because its musically superior to End. in any respect, but Donuts truly broke away from conventional ways of making a beat album. The way it swayed from adhering to any classic way of quantizing before hand blew me away. End. remained coherent too a "formula" of producing sample based music even though it was groundbreaking, it still stayed within a certain box. On Donuts it seems like Dilla was like "fuck that, imma make this sample fit this tempo I want it too.

Your trying to apply two types of approaches of making an album to one another.

And what ive seen of Soulstrut is an alarmingly high number of Dilla-Nerds.

But my question is, would Shadow of tried this approach back then because it was a style he already heard? He couldn't off because the style wasn't born yet. Nothing like Donuts even closely existed back then. I think because of the whole sample ethics thing that was going on. I think most felt they couldn't use whole vocal portions and bridges in they're beats because of the trendy industry sample clearance laws. So what kind of approach did DJ Shadow take?

So there is no trace of Dilla's production techniques on his previous material at all?

U think Endtroducing was a new language in production style?
    He built on and recontextualized what was being done at the time.

I just feel its hard to really compare w/ a 10+ year gap. After that, all u have is what u prefer.

Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda doesnt apply...IMO.

• Options
    Donuts was some mad boring shit. Geek down was the only thing that remotely banged and peeps used that sample before anyway.

long stem shits on j dilla's entire ouvre

Nerds like you amaze me. Listening to albums to seek out the "banger" and discarding the rest because it's obviously way over your head. I'd say Donuts is my choice here. Not because its musically superior to End. in any respect, but Donuts truly broke away from conventional ways of making a beat album. The way it swayed from adhering to any classic way of quantizing before hand blew me away. End. remained coherent too a "formula" of producing sample based music even though it was groundbreaking, it still stayed within a certain box. On Donuts it seems like Dilla was like "fuck that, imma make this sample fit this tempo I want it too.

Your trying to apply two types of approaches of making an album to one another.

And what ive seen of Soulstrut is an alarmingly high number of Dilla-Nerds.

But my question is, would Shadow of tried this approach back then because it was a style he already heard? He couldn't off because the style wasn't born yet. Nothing like Donuts even closely existed back then. I think because of the whole sample ethics thing that was going on. I think most felt they couldn't use whole vocal portions and bridges in they're beats because of the trendy industry sample clearance laws. So what kind of approach did DJ Shadow take?

So there is no trace of Dilla's production techniques on his previous material at all?

U think Endtroducing was a new language in production style?
    He built on and recontextualized what was being done at the time.

I just feel its hard to really compare w/ a 10+ year gap. After that, all u have is what u prefer.

Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda doesnt apply...IMO.

Of corse there is traces, its the same produce. But in Donuts he decided to venture down an avenue he hadn't done in the past. I always viewed Dilla's previous productions as made for rhymes. The material on Donuts is not that MC friendly. It seem more like an ode to a producer's production album. One he did just for himself.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i heard donuts(and beat tapes like #3) were dillas answer to the soul heavy sampling of the early to mid 00s producers like kanye and just blaze. and he took that style and made it his own.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    apples and oranges definitely.

both great.