EXPEDIT VS D.I.Y. dilema

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I just moved into my new house and record shelving is in serious short supply. I have been trying to avoid going the expedit route, I know they do the job well but I just don't want anymore particle board. An artist that works in metal I know was going to make me a shelf for my new house but was just offered a good project and now I am left to figure what to do. I need an amount of storage equal to the large 5x5 expedit but I don't own any power tools, I would love to make one or pay someone to make one for me. My only thing is that I just don't want it to look like some piece of shit. suggestions? I don't want to go the expedit route but I am starting to feel I really don't have much else of an option. Someone on here posted pictures and plans of some interlocking/interchangable shelves they made that looked pretty damn good. Who did that?

Comments

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

my guest is that if you want to make it yourself you are going to need access to some powertools. if you pay someone to make it you can probably buy 4 expedits.

stacking milk crates with wood shelves in between works pretty well, so does cinder blocks and wood shelves.

just depends on your aesthetic preferences.

• you can not buy materials/finish for DYI that are cheaper than the expedit!

$99 can't be beat.

I spent more than $500 on my shelf... I like it alot better than the expedit, but that shit wasn't cheap!!

If money is an issue - get an expedit

if satisfaction in building something yourself (which will likely outlast the expedit) is more important - DIY

Now, if you're no good with the handicraft, you might end up with some ugly ass looking shelves, even if you paid bucks for nice wood.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    BTW I did an official count of LP's on my expedit...

1927 LP's snugly it in that...divide that by the 129.00 that a 5x5 expedit costs and thats a damn good deal

Br**t: go with the expedit

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Br**t: go with the expedit

Why does everyone hate on expedit?

I got the 5X5 jump and I love it. Looks good, sturdy, cost effective.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You don't necessarily need power tools to make a shelf that is comparable to an expedit, it's just that the amount of work you would have to put in to build it that way is not really worth it. But basically all you need is a hammer, nails (or a screwdriver and screws--if you are patient/masochistic enough to go that route), and a medium-sized handsaw (and the lumber, or course). That said, I would not recommend making a power tool-less DIY shelf; and if you don't have any tools then that's not really an option anyway.

and:

Now, if you're no good with the handicraft, you might end up with some ugly ass looking shelves, even if you paid bucks for nice wood.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Who did that?

DJ Wub Wub. I got a copy of the plans. PM me and I will send them to you.

Here is the OG post. Expedit DIY

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Here Are the plans for the diy style and it's a lot bigger than the Expedit and will probably last longer. Expedit are cool and an easy option.For these plans use 12mm plywood and you will need 5 sheets (standard 1200 x 2400mm)
    Here's what the rack i built looks like.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

I had a carpenter build me shelves. Here's some pics of 1 unit. I was gonna have it built like an expedit, but I thought against it because it would be difficult to transport without taking apart. I didn't want particle board because I just ain't a fan & I'm well connected with people who can make some decent furniture.

Each unit holds about 700-800 records. It comes in 2 picecs & which are secured together with screws & are bolted to the wall. I had this guy build me 3 units. They cost about 200 bucks a unit & were made from birch ply. They're crazy solid.

I had them made with doors because sometimes I just don't like looking at all my stuff... Here's the pic with it open. There are 10 storage cubes in all.

I have plans & shit if anyone likes. We've refined the design to include discreet hinges. I gotta change the handles, but I'm hella lazy.

Peace

H

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    wubwub
    Thanks for the plans. Your shelf was the one I was mentioning.

Waffle
    Your shelf is awesome as well. Are those colored panels doors or screwed on backings or what? Are the wood panels doors?

Now if only I was friends with Bob Villa I would have that shit all set up by the morning. Maybe I should just use this as a good excuse for why I need to buy all new power tools.

My thing with the expedit is I know it does the job well bang for your buck. But I would like to have something made that will last some time. I also thought its a good excuse to give some guy besides Ikea some dough. I'm not hating on the expedit I just would prefer something different. Now its just the matter of if I can manage something different.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Fatback has some real nice joints he got at ikea i think, they are made of solid wood and looked really good. i can not remember the name off hand, perhaps he could chime in? they were a little more than the expedit, but not too much, maybe 200? 250? i dont know, ask him...

and yeah, i got a 5x5 and a 4x4 expedit and i cant hate at all. i aint looking forward to moving anytime soon, but otherwise...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I use the IKEA Ivar system.
    It can be easily disassembled, solid wood, customizable, & sturdy once the back supports are on.
    It can be seen in the background in the photo below. That one was approx. $70
    I also have a much larger one that is 6 levels high and attached to the wall stud for stability etc.. It's a mammoth and you need a stool to see the top shelf.

I have mixed feelings about the Xpedit. I wish it had a back (or stops) so the records didn't run away from my fingers sometimes but that can always be added I suppose. Also I feel like they are too deep and stick out into the room a bit too far for my taste. But I DO LIKE the individual cubicles so that the records aren;t leaning on each other all the time etc.. It's easier to finger through the cubicles I think.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    getting off topic, i thought 3rdstream's shelves were rather gangster.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    people are waaaay to intimidated by powertools yo.

the expedits are nice but particle board is ASS .. it will be sturdy for awhile but get that thing wet or take it apart a few times and most likely you'll be left with some serious trapizoidal shelving... it is mad cheap though.. but i feel like that just feeds into the typical disposable society.

i built 2 nice sized shelves and a bin that sits on top with a buddy of mine last year... we built a set for him and a set for me and it took us exaclty one leisurely day to do so. We didnt get the most expensive plywood, as you dont actially see any of it when the shelve is loaded and against the wall.

anyhow these babies are solid as a mo fo and come apart in sections (you can take some records out and two dudes can carry it to a moving truck with ease. leaving most of the records in). The top bin even has a row for 45's.

i need to get some wheels put on and this one is completely full so i think i shall build another at some point here.

i would recomend those metal bakers racks too... I bout 2 of them at Sam's club years ago for 90 bones each... totally industructable.. you can make two massive tall bookshelves out of them or break them down and make 4 smaller shelves... i truned two of them into an island in my kitchen by putting wood tops on them and hte other two (with wheels!) hold all my decks and recording gear.

• I nearly went for an Expedit earlier this year but looking at the specs and weight tolerance etc it turns out each compartment can only take 13kg (i think), which is not enough if packed full of records, although I'm sure plenty of you folks don't have any problems with them whatsoever.

What I do recommend are these...

http://www.gorillarack.com/products/storage/Storage.htm

They sure ain't as pretty as the Expedit, but they are incredibly sturdy, and can be assembled and reassembled without any tools. Cheaper that the Expedit too. I got mine from a Costco in the UK for about ??50. Will take 1000+ records with ease. Anyone else use these?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

do you have any specs/instructions for this bad boy, shit is PERFECT.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    no i don't have the plans

i literally drew it on a napkin and then came up with the cut sheet based on the measurements.

the main thing is the bottoms / tops / sides are all the same width.. every other peice is just made from the leftovers on on the sheet.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    i just got these:

holds about 7/8 crates worth, powder coated steel. solid, adjustable feet.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i just got these:

where from? what price?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i noticed a few people address this, but i thought i'd ask outright. Have any of the Expedit users here moved and ressambled their Expedits? i ask b/c i had an ikea bed and from what i can tell, due to the particleboard, you probably can't reassemble them more than once or twice. anyone?

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    i just got these:

where from? what price?

holdeverything.com

i think the blue one was 71 shipping included.

they have 5 different colors.

• Waffle
    Your shelf is awesome as well. Are those colored panels doors or screwed on backings or what? Are the wood panels doors?

naah, I wish it was intricate like that... The whole thing is 2' deep, and most of the cubes are divided halfway through with white plexiglass. Some have colored plexi.

I needed lateral bracing (so it doesn't deform into a parallellogram), so the solid panels form a matrix across (there are panels on either side) - basically, if you look at it straight on from one side, you'll see a panel in each row, vertically - as well as horizontally, but randomly placed within the matrix. Since these solid panels are positioned towards the outside (as opposed to the center), the cube is about 2' deep in those locations, which basically means that I can store crap in there, which I probably won't find again for a several years.

The shelf used to divide two rooms (my old house, in the picture in the other thread). Since it's double-sided, the records were only shelved on one side in the room with my turntables.

I've since moved (to a much smaller place) and I actually have records on both sides now. I also discovered that the cube is *just* the right size for an old iMac!!!

• I use the IKEA Ivar system.

It can be easily disassembled, solid wood, customizable, & sturdy once the back supports are on.

It can be seen in the background in the photo below. That one was approx. $70

I also have a much larger one that is 6 levels high and attached to the wall stud for stability etc.. It's a mammoth and you need a stool to see the top shelf.

I have mixed feelings about the Xpedit. I wish it had a back (or stops) so the records didn't run away from my fingers sometimes but that can always be added I suppose. Also I feel like they are too deep and stick out into the room a bit too far for my taste. But I DO LIKE the individual cubicles so that the records aren;t leaning on each other all the time etc.. It's easier to finger through the cubicles I think.

cosign all of the above. there is no way i would be able to store 6,000 records in my bedroom without the IVAR system. they are cheaper than the expedit, more sturdy, and made out of solid wood. each shelf holds 200 records approx. so if you go the 6 shelf route thats 1200 records per unit. what is cool about them is you can connect them together to save on parts.i cuurently have 5 in my bedroom, 2-6 shelf, and 3 5-shelf. the rest of my records are on the floor in crates and i have plenty of room in my bedroom

i need to take some new pics actually as im quite proud of how i arranged them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Posted by Jectwon from a now-deleted thread:

Wifey has put her foot down. She's sick of records all over the lab, office and living room. I'm a new jack but it's getting to the point where crates ain't cutting it. They are all over the house and I need shelving. (positive this has been covered b4, but couldn't work the got'dayng search)

I'm in the market for some nice looking shelving for the living room. The large ikea expedit seems dope but would like to get the SS take on these or other alternatives.

(1) I don't really want to make shelves. I'm down with that for the lab but anything I make myself, I fully expect to look like total shit and won't live up to living room standards.

(2) I'd rather not pay more than the $159.00 than the Ikea jawns cost.

Thanks ya'll...

Jectwon: For cost + look, you're not really going to beat the "Ikea jawns." If not the Expedits, you could also go with Ivars (the building material is stronger and the shelving more efficient, but it's less "finished") and that would run you about the same amount.

For real though $160 is not a lot of money for shelving on the magnitude that you're talking about. Short of cinder blocks + plywood planks, I'm not sure how you'd find any kind of substantial shelving solution that's not going to run you what decent-made furniture should cost.

BTW: here's the next project.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Jectwon: For cost + look, you're not really going to beat the "Ikea jawns." If not the Expedits, you could also go with Ivars (the building material is stronger and the shelving more efficient, but it's less "finished") and that would run you about the same amount.

For real though $160 is not a lot of money for shelving on the magnitude that you're talking about. Short of cinder blocks + plywood planks, I'm not sure how you'd find any kind of substantial shelving solution that's not going to run you what decent-made furniture should cost.

Hey, thanks Manny. And my bad for not posting in the FAQ or just reading up on it. I couldn't find it, but now it seems to be a pinned topic again.

That being said, I think I'm going to go Expedit's full size. Like you said the price is unbeatable and since I'll be setting them up against a wall, I think they should be really sturdy.

B/W

Some of the DIY pics posted earlier in this thread are freaking awesome.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    for 45's?

BTW: here's the next project.

That's kinda sexy.

Please explain. Are those drawers or cabinets? For 45s?

My biggest dilemma these days is my 45 collection.

I currently own roughly 15 cardboard boxes of 45s and no matter where or how you place them, they just look like shit. Seriously on some middle school comic book collectro type display. I'm a grown man and my 45s are the crown jewels of my collection. They need a sexy home for grown-ups type storage. In my dream world, I want to build something like an old school library card catalog cabinet with slide out 45 drawers.

Anyone come up with any creative or grown man style 45 storage?

Pointman: I realized that I forgot to put in 7" bins into the design so I just went back and revised it.

As the included measurements now indicate, it's for both LPs and 7"s. Top layer has storage for about 180 7"s and 150 LPs (that's not the max but if I can't flip through 'em, it defeats the purpose so I'm artifically lowering how much I'd actually put).

Each 7" drawer should hold about 100 7"s each (that's based on numbers Ken Shipley gave me for the 7" drawers he built recently - I guess 100 7" fit into a 14" deep space).

Each LP drawer would hold about 80 LPs when maxed out but again, I might keep more like 70 in them so I can still flip.

Total storage space would be roughly 360 LPs + 1200 7"s, give or take.

I tried playing with the dimensions to squeeze in a third layer of 7" drawers but it took the whole thing a bit too high.
    I could sacrifice the LPs drawers on the bottom and add another two layers of 7" drawers but I have enough "new arrival LPs" at any given time to justify preserving more space for them.