EXPEDIT VS D.I.Y. dilema

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My biggest dilemma these days is my 45 collection.

I currently own roughly 15 cardboard boxes of 45s and no matter where or how you place them, they just look like shit. Seriously on some middle school comic book collectro type display. I'm a grown man and my 45s are the crown jewels of my collection. They need a sexy home for grown-ups type storage. In my dream world, I want to build something like an old school library card catalog cabinet with slide out 45 drawers.

Anyone come up with any creative or grown man style 45 storage?

I feel what you're saying. I'm actually genuinely surprised there have no been more furniture designed for 45 shelving. You can find a shitload for LPs but not 7"s and there's no real reason why you can't.

My original idea was a straight "library card catalog" cabinet for 7"s, probably more shallow (8-10" vs. 15") and running at least 5 x 5 drawers, maybe on legs so the bottom level isn't on the floor (flood-R).

But personally, I also wanted "new arrival bins" so I figured I could integrate the two into a single design but like I just said, any cabinet maker or carpenter could *easily* build a set of 7" drawers.

Just keep in mind that width-wise, you want at least 7.5-8" of W and H. I made my heights at 8.75" because I wanted the option to put in 7" dividers so I just took the Bags Unlimited box dimensions and adapted them into the cabinet design. These drawers don't go back as far as the B.U. boxes but I didn't want something that was too deep, especially when the drawers are fully extended.

I guess if I want to go true library style, I'd have a flat wood shelf that could also be pulled out and the drawers rested upon but frankly, these drawers would weigh a lot more than a bunch of file cards so it'd be better to have the drawers anchored so that they don't actually pop all the way out.

Also: I'm thinking of putting those LP drawers on the bottom on casters rather than drawer rails but I don't know if, structurally, that's such a good idea because I'd have to eliminate a bottom shelf. I just like the idea of having a roll-away box/drawer on the very bottom. 2" casters would also be a good way to keep some distance between the floor and the LPs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

That being said, I think I'm going to go Expedit's full size. Like you said the price is unbeatable and since I'll be setting them up against a wall, I think they should be really sturdy.

Hard to go wrong. Just remember to find a way to secure that case to the wall. Ideally, you'd l-bracket the tops to studs for the most secure bond but you might be able to get away with securing them via dry wall/hollow wall anchors so long as you do each corner plus one in the middle. I mean, somwhere along that wall has to be one set of studs you can anchor securely to. The others would be insurance added.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

That being said, I think I'm going to go Expedit's full size. Like you said the price is unbeatable and since I'll be setting them up against a wall, I think they should be really sturdy.

Hard to go wrong. Just remember to find a way to secure that case to the wall. Ideally, you'd l-bracket the tops to studs for the most secure bond but you might be able to get away with securing them via dry wall/hollow wall anchors so long as you do each corner plus one in the middle. I mean, somwhere along that wall has to be one set of studs you can anchor securely to. The others would be insurance added.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I honestly don't think I would have secured it (stupidly enough).

Jeebus fusk, I love SoulStrut.

Thanks again.