Options

Are you too lazy to look through 45's too?

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

There is a lot of assburn associated with seeing the same LPs over and over again.

This is truth.

Johnny, you comin' thru College park next weekend?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I didn't know y'all discriminated so much against the little records. If anything, my only beef is that you have keep going back to the turntable every 2.5-3 minutes to flip them. And that doesn't really bother me much. Plus, flea market dudes that want $20 for their beat-to-shit copy of a 90th press Beatles album will let you have their 45s at 2 or 3 for a buck.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    12"s are my least favourite, the cover tells you nothing and you can't just flip through, you gotta pull each one up to see what the hell the label is saying.

Looking through 45s is no harder than LPs, carrying them around is way easier though, that's for sure.

The only thing I hate about looking through 45s to buy is when they're sleeveless.

I find that a lot of places will have their 45s and 12s crates over-packed, making the heart sink to look at them. Taking an inch of 45s at a time from the box and flipping two-handed is no big deal, but it's NAGL with 12s. It's making me look like an awkward schmuck right there, juggling with these pizza boxes.
    The worst I can say about the 45 situation is that I'm always glancing back at the box to see if the undigged ones have fallen forward; hating that.
    And why oh why do the sellers continue to put out unidentified white labels with zero info? At least write a genre or description on the sleeve. For all I know, we're passing up test pressings of some 1978 modern soul grail, and not the anonymous jungle dub plate that I suspect it is.

Dealers treat their LPs crate with a lot more sympathy. They'll mostly leave a flipping gap in the box and it's a pleasure to give it the two finger flick through.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    VS.

is there any question? cheaper. sounds better. easier to find... your loss.

Had the LP for years and still haven't found the HTP 45. Texas can be ass backwards like that tho.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    and not the anonymous jungle dub plate that I suspect it is.

Wait, there are jungle 45s? (7")?
    Is this really early jungle like 89-90? I have never seen one, normally it's the 45rpm 12" deals for the mega bass.

Personally I love 45s for their quirky B-sides, instrumentals and alternate mixes they offer. As well as the fact that you look hella pimp walking in to DJ a set carrying 45 boxes when the dude up there spinning is on some CDJ + Sera.to + Effects unit still sounding lame. The crowd digs the 45 set, know i do.

• IN OTHER WORDS RIDE OR FUCKING DIE

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    12"s are my least favourite

Word, I never look at 12"s. I used to not look at 45s too much, but now pickings are so slim that I go through both LPs and 45s. Not surprisingly I've been buying more 45s lately than LP's. LPs at the flea are no longer $5 and under, so I feel a little better gambling on 45s that are $1 or scooping a whole stack and getting an ok discount.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    and not the anonymous jungle dub plate that I suspect it is.

Wait, there are jungle 45s? (7")?
    Is this really early jungle like 89-90? I have never seen one, normally it's the 45rpm 12" deals for the mega bass.

Personally I love 45s for their quirky B-sides, instrumentals and alternate mixes they offer. As well as the fact that you look hella pimp walking in to DJ a set carrying 45 boxes when the dude up there spinning is on some CDJ + Sera.to + Effects unit still sounding lame. The crowd digs the 45 set, know i do.

I was more talking jungle 12s but I sure have seen white label, no info stuff in the 7's boxes too. What can you do? There's 50 in the box. You don't have the time or patience to ask the guy to play them all. And also you start to feel bad as you get to record 37 and you have rejected them all. The guy is seeing his sale go down the pan. Jeez, just write 'Jungle' or 'Techno' or whatever on the white sleeve. Save us all the time and cringing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    There is no good music on 45.

stick to albums man.

these hatterz are just winding you up.

I repeat: There is no good music on 45.

Step away from the 45s.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    VS.

is there any question? cheaper. sounds better. easier to find... your loss.

Had the LP for years and still haven't found the HTP 45. Texas can be ass backwards like that tho.

Lemon Tree Antiques(the one with the crazy lady with the gun)....Fort Worth, TX 2002...in fact, I scooped about an additional half-dozen JB productions as well that day

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The highlight of digging is going through vintage, clean, odd label 45's.

The lowlight of digging is going through millions of 70's C&W & Rock common 45's.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The only thing I hate about looking through 45s to buy is when they're sleeveless.

And even then, that ain't no biggie - several singles sound way better than they look. If you found a crate of unsleeved ALBUMS, you know right then that them records have HAD it, buddy; you can forget about them being playable. But sleeveless singles still manage to have some life in 'em...

...and to be truthful, at this point I probably get more excited digging through singles. Not that I don't like LP's, but after you've been digging a while, sometimes it seems like you've bought all the longplayers there were to buy, heard all there was to hear, with the same records popping up over and over. Singles don't seem as finite; even when you're flipping through the cheap bins, there might be some left-field surprise you didn't know existed till that moment.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I dig 45's....but you can tell a wack crate of 45's. You gotta know when to bail. I agree with Bassie 12"s are the most time consuming. Go ahead stay away from the 45's

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i love diggin thru 45's

but i hate diggin thru 45's that slice my hands open leaving me out there for dirt and funk to seep into the newly opened wound

i guess it's a double edged sword tho

• I've found that 45s sound tinny and piercing compared to 12"/LPs.

I've found that 45s sound tinny and piercing compared to 12"/LPs.

...and I find that winter is a lot colder than summer. So what? Goes with the territory, deal with it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you are too lazy/incompetent to flip through 45s then you're really just not cut out for this record thing.

And what exactly is 'this record thing'?

I'm curious about this too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I don't like 45s. They're too small. They remind me too much of flexi-discs.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i'll always dig through them shits. i am suprised at how many strutters are saying they don't even like 45s... i never had that many until recently when i moved to the mid-west. seattle never had shit for 45s. i love playing whole sets off 45, too bad they wear out so fast....

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I donno... I seem to find way better deals for stuff on 45. I found a parliament agony of DeFeet 45 for a dollar last week. I realized that this store i always go to that is kinda picked over carries 45s and I found LOADs of great stuff for a buck a piece. Im just getting into 45s tho... The cue burn drives me Frickin' crazy though... I doubt i'll be spending over 20 bucks too much more.

• Seeing a thousand white-sleeved reggae/dancehall 45s in bins with no organization whatsoever disturbs me deeply.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    i like 45's just as much as i like lp's. but if i step into a spot that sells records, i will usually hit up the lp's first. not because i like them more than 45's, but because the fact is that other people in general do like lp's more. so before any other collectro rolls through, chances are they're gonna go straight to the lp's and i would have already gone through them.

i can't understand the hate for 45's either, especially if you dig soul & funk. thats where the rawest tracks lie. it's through 45's that i've learned to appreciate and begin to collect other music such as garage/punk and rockabilly.

i ride for 45's.

and yo:

If you are too lazy/incompetent[/b] to flip through 45s then you're really just not cut out for this record thing.

dude...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hah, harsh but the idea that you would walk into a record store and not even check the 45s confuses the hell out of me.

Unless we are talking about the Record Man 45s. Now THAT is what I call a hassle.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    If you are too lazy/incompetent to flip through 45s then you're really just not cut out for this record thing.

record thing = you buy some records, take pics of them and share with the online community. Sell some of them, file the rest. Forget about them for years until you have to move. Start a "I'm not feeling records anymore" thread.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

record thing = you buy some records, take pics of them and share with the online community. Sell some of them, file the rest. Forget about them for years until you have to move. Start a "I'm not feeling records anymore" thread.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

NEXT

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

NEXT

I am thinking maybe it involves looking at online videos of other collectors' "cribs", and having an instant where you truly believe you won't be happy until your entire home is devoted to LPs

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1074876&an=0&page=0#Post1074876