SOULSTRUT COMEDY GOLD

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Re: Music related street names (5/15/08)

verb606 Said (regarding Frankie Knuckles and the street sign named after him):

For the record, (Frankie Knuckles Way in Chicago) was an honorary naming. I'm glad Frankie got the dap, but make no mistake, no one in Chicago (except perhaps the die-hardest of house heads) tells people that they'll meet them at the intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles. [/b]

I don't know, I thought the shit was funny. "Intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles"!!!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

For the record, (Frankie Knuckles Way in Chicago) was an honorary naming. I'm glad Frankie got the dap, but make no mistake, no one in Chicago (except perhaps the die-hardest of house heads) tells people that they'll meet them at the intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles. [/b]

I don't know, I thought the shit was funny. "Intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles"!!!

I think this means we need to have a beer together. Our senses of humor seem to be aligned. When's your soul night again?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    edpowers, 8/4/05

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

this shit is classic and I still want to try this one time
    Yeah, this still sometimes flashes across my mind as I am cueing up a record for play after someone else's at a gig. All time legendary post.
    yeah, it really still is one of the funniest posts eva on this board.

i was thinking about that post the other day at work and i laughed out loud .

My all time favorite.

I think this means we need to have a beer together. Our senses of humor seem to be aligned. When's your soul night again?

Next month, and you'll be one of the first to know.

BTW, it's just now dawning on me: this is the second time that a random offhanded comment of yours made this thread...the one about the guy watching the Chipmunks' movie via his laptop on the subway train (Red Line, I'll bet) was a howler too.

this is the second time that a random offhanded comment of yours made this thread...the one about the guy watching the Chipmunks' movie via his laptop on the subway train (Red Line, I'll bet) was a howler too.

I'm sayin. That's what prompted the beer remark. We might be kindred spirits. if not, we can at least talk about girls on the el train.

this is the second time that a random offhanded comment of yours made this thread...the one about the guy watching the Chipmunks' movie via his laptop on the subway train (Red Line, I'll bet) was a howler too.

I'm sayin. That's what prompted the beer remark. We might be kindred spirits. if not, we can at least talk about girls on the el train.

Too bad there's no soul nite this weekend. From what I've seen yesterday, women in boots are making a STRONG last stand before summer shows up...

• summer cant come soon enough. im dying here....

Too bad there's no soul nite this weekend. From what I've seen yesterday, women in boots are making a STRONG last stand before summer shows up...

Really? I'm glad you're seeing that. I'm already seeing a lot of flips-flops with the business wear which is NAGL to the fullest.

anyway, let me know what's up on the soul night. and tell Coma Toast too. I know he's down.

• img src="http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/BigImg/wc.jpg"1b,121b,1219/10/08b,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I saw this lady at a record show in Seattle tryin to charge folls for her autograph. After seeing her wrinkled up old ass tryin to front like she was blap material, please don't show this record. I can't see this record without getting sick to my stomach. Grannies trying to be working girls is b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1/b1

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/BigImg/wc.jpg"1b,121b,1219/10/08b,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I saw this lady at a record show in Seattle tryin to charge folls for her autograph. After seeing her wrinkled up old ass tryin to front like she was blap material, please don't show this record. I can't see this record without getting sick to my stomach. Grannies trying to be working girls is b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1/b1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Deloris Erikson is a legend, SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH!b,121b,121I had a customer pick that cover up and tell me the story of walking in on his roommate masturbating to it.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/BigImg/wc.jpg"1b,121b,1219/10/08b,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I saw this lady at a record show in Seattle tryin to charge folls for her autograph. After seeing her wrinkled up old ass tryin to front like she was blap material, please don't show this record. I can't see this record without getting sick to my stomach. Grannies trying to be working girls is b,121b,121h,121
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1/b1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Deloris Erikson is a legend, SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH!b,121b,121I had a customer pick that cover up and tell me the story of walking in on his roommate masturbating to it. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="http://www.vinyltimes.com/images/Dolores2005.jpg"1 b,121b,121 b,121b,121*disclaimer* be advised I chose by far /b1the most flattering contemporary picture of her I found

• i always thought she was wearing a big dress, never noticed that

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i always thought she was wearing a big dress, never noticed that b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i gotta admit, i did toob,121b,121flipping past it in the bins, i always thought that was just a triple-tiered wedding dress, with a li'l bit of wedding CAKE thrown in for good measure

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    get your eyes fixed, her huge creme bustier been wrekin sschitt since '66, DEALT

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Meant to post this up before I went away on holiday but forgot. So, better late than never, this reply from O in the Olympics thread cracked me up.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The chinese tower show was insanity though and a hell of a performance. Even the singing part was redeemed by having Jackie Chan show up.b,121b,121h,121
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Dude, I don't think the singing part could have redeemed if Bruce Lee showed up. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• Day, 1/26/05, talkin' 'bout reissues:b,121b,121/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I dig and I also own a handfull of reissues
    b,121
    b,121F*ck it - it's music.
    b,121
    b,121I did hear tho, that reissues make your peepee shrink so it's on you.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Batmon alter ego, 10/2/08:b,121b,121 /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I fusk w/ Reddy,Murray,Newton-John,Gale.
    b,121
    b,121All that Wool Sweater "Soul".
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

12/7/06:b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121her forehead is Herman Musteresque
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121forehead? schitt, she's got a fivehead.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

James rates the funny pages, 10/9/08:b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121I was (and, if I'm being honest with myself, remain) a huge Bloom County fan, but Opus is wack as F*ck--overindulgent, self-important, poorly written, and so frequently just rehash. Like Prince (yeah, that's right), Breathed did his best when he was pushing against limits--the constraints of weekday comic pages, the daily grind, etc. Once he got on this marquee shit (there was some stipulation, wasn't there, that any paper that wanted to carry Opus had to guarantee it a pretty kingly amount of physical space? like half a page or something?), once he could do just what he wanted to do and only had to do it once a week, the bloat set in pretty quick. I think the only thing I've seen in Opus that's amused me even mildly has been in these last few weeks, where he's altered the strip's fine print of "Washington Post Syndicate" to read "Washington Post Scared, Huddled Flock" and shit like that.
    b,121
    b,121To my mind, Peanuts begat Doonesbury and Bloom County, and after that it's pretty much variations on a theme. Gary Larson comes close, but he's still a son of a son.
    b,121
    b,121It's probably just my age, but I always thought Calvin and Hobbes was kinda weak, except for the art. Bloom County For Those That Slept. I do F*ck with Mutts, though, so who knows.
    b,121
    b,121Boondocks was never any good to me. Smug, insular, paycheck shit. Dude had one foot out the door the whole time.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not really seeing the "comedy gold" there?b,121b,121Like, was he even going for comedy?b,121b,121And when you diss Calvin & Hobbes you dis yourself.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Not really seeing the "comedy gold" there?
    b,121
    b,121Like, was he even going for comedy?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121He probably wasn't, it was just the way he said it, with the little digs along the way, that made me crack a smile...b,121b,121b,121

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Not really seeing the "comedy gold" there?
    b,121
    b,121Like, was he even going for comedy?
    b,121
    b,121And when you diss Calvin & Hobbes you dis yourself.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121My grandmother used to refer to dog poop as "gold" (she had an incontinent terrier named Cocoa [a terrier from your hometown of Boston, no less] and I was frequently sent into the back yard with a trowel and a tin can to "dig for gold"). Perhaps this is the usage pickwick had in mind.b,121b,121Irregardless, the posts that have made me laugh most, in all my time here:b,121b,121- Sween's fart post.b,121b,121- Marco's What's Happening!! post.b,121b,121- faux_rillz: "For real, I feel like you may need to beat this dude up or something."b,121b,121- bassie's post deading that naff "online soundclash" that went down over summer--the post with the pictures of the computer speakers. b,121b,121- hogginthefogg's post about the dude who was trying to talk him into getting both his hair and his windows tinted.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121- hogginthefogg's post about the dude who was trying to talk him into getting both his hair and his windows tinted.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121A definite classique--even better when delivered live.

• Ah, yes, the (criminally slept-on) "How Much Do You Love Living Color?" thread.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    On some high-school band trip to New Orleans, these two guys I knew managed to connive a couple of girls into playing strip poker. After the girls got creeped out, folded early, and left the room, the guys--missing the point entirely--kept playing cards. I get the same kind of vibe from Sandy Nelson records.

Ah, my man James. I get the impression that we could keep this thread going by clicking on his name, followed by "check all user's posts" (or whatever that function is called).b,121b,121But in this case, you gotta italicize the "kept playing cards" part - when James did that, I really got a feel for how clueless them guys were!!b,121b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121On some high-school band trip to New Orleans, these two guys I knew managed to connive a couple of girls into playing strip poker. After the girls got creeped out, folded early, and left the room, the guys--missing the point entirely--
    kept playing cards. I get the same kind of vibe from Sandy Nelson records. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Ah, my man James. I get the impression that we could keep this thread going by clicking on his name, followed by "check all user's posts" (or whatever that function is called).
    b,121
    b,121But in this case, you gotta italicize the "kept playing cards" part - when James did that, I really got a feel for how clueless them guys were!!
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121On some high-school band trip to New Orleans, these two guys I knew managed to connive a couple of girls into playing strip poker. After the girls got creeped out, folded early, and left the room, the guys--missing the point entirely--
    kept playing cards. I get the same kind of vibe from Sandy Nelson records. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Yeah, james' post was gold status the minute I read it. b,121b,121b,121To be fair to those guys, did they simply keep playing cards, or did they keep playing strip poker? If the girls left and the guys stayed in whatever state of undress they were in and kept playing, then that's like

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121To be fair to those guys, did they simply keep playing cards, or did they keep playing
    strip poker? If the girls left and the guys stayed in whatever state of undress they were in and kept playing, then that's like b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You know, I don't know a hundred percent exactly how it all went down, but I can say this: When my friends and I checked in on the poker room real quick on our way out, it was two fully dressed dudes--it's gonna sound like I'm making this up, but I'm not: one dude was wearing a button-up, some slacks, his saxophone, and a fucking beret, and the other dude was rocking, like, standard-issue Hobie t-shirt and jeans, topped off with an Urban Cowboy-type lid and a motherfucking serape (what can I say? among small-town high-schoolers on extended out-of-town road trips, trying to reinvent one's "look"--however ill-advisedly--is not uncommon [I'm sure you've at one time or another seen a group of non-local teens walking around somewhere and thought to yourself "Wow, that kid on the right clearly does not wear that hat/scarf/monocle/etc. when he's in his hometown" {hogginthefogg: "you've gotta make sure you wear it on the inside, too"}])--and two fully dressed girls. I went down to the hotel lobby to try and talk to this punk girl over by the pinball machines ("I like your pins"), and when my friends and I checked back in on the poker room a couple hours later, Dude One was down to an undershirt and a saxophone, and Dude Two appeared to be down to just the hat and the serape (it should be noted that my observations are based on what was visible above the table, and thus may not represent the, uh, whole story), and the ladies had left. All of which is just to say that while I don't know whether the dudes kept taking clothes off after the girls left, they certainly hadn't been putting any clothes back on.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Breaks4Days, 10/14/2003 b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121"FYI: you can be a complete record dork, and still get laid all the time.
    b,121 I never understood how collecting records hurts the punani flow.
    b,121 From experience it actually helps."
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1