milton nascimento unappreiciation post

Comments

• If nothing else, just give Clube da Esquina a spin. You got nothing to lose, and it may change your mind.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30843638/Milton_Nascimento___Lo_Borges_-_Clube_da_Esquina_-_1972_-x.rar

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Clube Da Esquina

I will ride for this album.

Um Girassol da Cor de Seu Cabelo, kills me. I even like the Savath and Savalas cover. Also, Trem de Doido is one that I love thats mad unappreciated.

- spidey

• What I don't think is getting through here (and frustrates the SHIT out of me is that) I HAVE heard Clube de Esquina, and it does not do it for me.

Look, people aren't forming this opinion based on some 1983 post-MPB type release. Believe it or not, there are people who HAVE heard his work and don't like it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What I don't think is getting through here (and frustrates the SHIT out of me is that) I HAVE heard Clube de Esquina, and it does not do it for me.

Look, people aren't forming this opinion based on some 1983 post-MPB type release. Believe it or not, there are people who HAVE heard his work and don't like it.

Dude, you should really check out Clube de Esquina, though.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Guzzo, Dog -

One of the greatest albums of ALL TIME.

Tudo que voce podia ser
    Trem de doido
    Cais
    Um girassol da cor de seu cabelo
    Dos cruces

Peep those tracks. Please.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

The joint right there.

What's the album with "Para Lennon e McCartney" on it? Or is that a Lo Borges solo joint?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean my post above was merely to say, I have trouble comprehending how someone could dislike that record.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    once again, strutters brag about having bad taste

I guess we won't be hearing Milton in that Kardassian show anytime soon

• + + + --- one of the greatest albums ever made by anyone in any country in any time!!

only other milton ive heard is the self titles one pictured which was alright.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, this record rules.

I'm not seeing how people could ride or die
    for, say, Jorge Ben's a Tabua da Esmeralda and
    then turn around and say this record isn't amazing.

Is it Lo Borges that makes this record stand apart?

• Listening to Clube de Esquina and not feeling anything is a character flaw.

I ride for Milagro dos Peixes as well.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm not over at E! right now.

I'm at MTV doing a show featuring Kenny Loggins son and Eddie moneys daughter

and yes, Al B Sure is involved as well

none of them will be singing Milton during the duration of the series

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

please accept this in the spirit of friendship, but I would have more respect for you if you were selling crack on a playground

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

please accept this in the spirit of friendship, but I would have more respect for you if you were selling crack on a playground

Every morning when I come to set I feel a little bit more of my dignity fall away.

Did I mention that Bobby Browns son (the one without Whitney) threatened me with a bottle of water today?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If nothing else, just give Clube da Esquina a spin. You got nothing to lose, and it may change your mind.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30843638/Milton_Nascimento___Lo_Borges_-_Clube_da_Esquina_-_1972_-x.rar
    That's kinda hot.

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    Clube De Esquina is one of the records that got me into Brazilian music in the first place. I had never heard anything that sounded quite like it and haven't since.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dude has a lot of LP's and a certian style on music. Either you like it or you don't. Are you shure your not asshurt cuz he gots no funky breaks? Lots of good music isn't the least bit funky.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

^^^please to listen to that one and try to pretend it's brazilian unisom, Guzzo

try.

please.

• Dude has a lot of LP's and a certian style on music. Either you like it or you don't. Are you shure your not asshurt cuz he gots no funky breaks? Lots of good music isn't the least bit funky.

Am I that asshurt because I don't like him? Or are y'all asshurt because you can't wrap your heads around the idea that someone wouldn't like your BOY Milton.

Look, I like plenty of shit that ain't funky. And, I like plenty of music from Brazil. Why is it MY problem that I don't like Milton Nascimiento? I'm fine with that.

Might I change in the future? Fuck yeah. There's plenty of music I've hated that I've changed my opinion on as I've aged and changed. But, I've heard M.N./ LaCDE a number of times, and I never, NEVER come back to it. I'm gonna reach for Jorge Ben or Gilberto Gil or any number of other people before I come back to this.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i agree.

• BTW, I ride or die for A Tabua de Esmerelda, and I don't love Milton.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I like the #1 and the stereolab track and that slower instrumentalish one that's whoop ass and what not.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

The joint right there.

What's the album with "Para Lennon e McCartney" on it? Or is that a Lo Borges solo joint?

Para Lennon... is on the 'Milton' LP that JLR posted earlier. Great track.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    It underlines the absurdity of this whole thread that we made it to four pages without any discussion of dude's lyrics.

My Portuguese is pretty bad, can someone hook up a translation of 'Sentinela'?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

The joint right there.

Para Lennon... is on the 'Milton' LP that JLR posted earlier. Great track.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I've not heard it for about ten years, but Gilles Peterson used to play it a lot back when he was still on Kiss FM in London. Isn't it like "Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser" in that it's had a grip of covers of varying quality? I'm sure I've heard a Lo Borges version and a Gal Costa version. I'm still after this female vocal version of "Tudo..." that Gilles also used to play a lot - it's not the Quartetto Em Cy version, nor the Simone one that Saba had on his site at one point. Any other good female versions of this that I ought to be up on?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah, this record rules.

For a couple of years now it's been an album that I've put on for all kinds of people when they've dropped by and they've always left asking for a copy.

Also, confession time, I only really know the Da Lata remix of the Friends From Rio version of Para Lennon E McCartney. Really should get round to checking out the original.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    It underlines the absurdity of this whole thread that we made it to four pages without any discussion of dude's lyrics.

Hey Joe

Here's a free and very poor translation of Sentinela.
    Please, keep in mind that I'm translating a poem, so maybe
    something doesn't make too much sense.
    It's just for you to have an idea about the song.

Sentinel

Death guards I am the sentinel of this brother of mine who leaves now
    I review in this hour all that happened, memory won't die
    A black wraith comes towards me
    To show his/her pain planted in this ground

His/her face shines in a prayer, shines in knife and flower
    (He/she) comes to tell me stories
    Far, far away I hear this voice
    That the time won't take

(You) need to scream your power, eh brother, to survive
    Death won't come now, if we in the hour of uniting
    the ways in just one, neither runaway nor deviate

(You) need to love your (girl) friend, eh brother, and remember
    That the world only will bend
    When the love, that in your body was already born,
    Look for freedom
    In the woman that you meet

That the time won't take

Peace

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    For a couple of years now it's been an album that I've put on for all kinds of people when they've dropped by and they've always left asking for a copy.

Last person that came to my house left WITH my copy... sorry, just not feeling it anymore. There's so much more out there that is way better... this one dropped out of my keepers.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    tudo que voce podia ser is just about the perfect song for me. The Lo Borges + Milton songwriting combo blows me away.

a few things folks didn't know about milton....

- military dictatorship rejected one of his early 70's albums so he re-recorded it w/ no lyrics. Just him singing vocal harmonies.

- military dictatorship threatened to kill his son if he ever sets foot in Sao Paulo to visit his family. He couldn't see his kid, and at the same time couldn't tell him why. This tore him apart, causing him to drink heavily.

both I learned by watching that cool bbc brasil brasil doc.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Hey Joe

Here's a free and very poor translation of Sentinela.
    Please, keep in mind that I'm translating a poem, so maybe
    something doesn't make too much sense.
    It's just for you to have an idea about the song.

Sentinel

A black wraith comes towards me
    To show his/her pain planted in this ground

His/her face shines in a prayer, shines in knife and flower
    (He/she) comes to tell me stories
    That the time won't take

(You) need to scream your power, eh brother, to survive
    Death won't come now, if we in the hour of uniting
    the ways in just one, neither runaway nor deviate

(You) need to love your (girl) friend, eh brother, and remember
    That the world only will bend
    When the love, that in your body was already born,
    Look for freedom
    In the woman that you meet

That the time won't take

Peace

Thanks so much! I can catch about every other word listening but I never got the whole thing like that. Amazing tune.