milton nascimento unappreiciation post

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
when go all Brazilian crazy this guys name is brought up as on of the greats. Honestly dude suckswhy do people like this guy? I've bought 3 of his albums and been disappointed everytime.I grabbed his 1969 LP last week thinking this is going to be the one that makes me a fan, all it did was seal his fate as an artist I'd never check up on ever againI coulda had a couple of Marcos Valles instead.Now I'm stuck with this sleepy turd

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    you're wrong

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've discussed this with other strutters off the board and they agree.

Milton is like brazilian unisom

I'm right

• like alot of artists who had long careers he has released a slew of not really interesting albums aimed at different markets but he is a great songwriter, has a unique voice, and plays guitar real good.

/object

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

like, dude, that don't mean shit

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

you'll thank

like, dude, that don't mean shit

strutters opinions are the only ones that count.

Milton has duped the record buying public for far too long.

I am here to save your pockets and your ears

you must thank me

• seriously, so what if you and dj chawp bonded over your mutual disdain for a great artist? it just means your BOTH wrong.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Milton has duped the record buying public for far too long.

you buy records with dudes wearing Miami Vice suits on cover, your opinion is irrelevant in the record buying community

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    seriously, so what if you and dj chawp bonded over your mutual disdain for a great artist? it just means your BOTH wrong.

I don't know who this chawp is you speak of, but please show me what makes this artist so "great"?

I can provide you several full length LP's that say otherwise

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

what you got? you bought Milton's 80s LPs? It's like buying Gal Costa o Caetano's 80s bullshit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what you got? you bought Milton's 80s LPs? It's like buying Gal Costa o Caetano's 80s bullshit.

What are the best Milton LPs?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I am here to save your pockets and your ears

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Milton is boring. He passed on Valles for Miltons, and that's just sad.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

his s/t on emi/ odeon LP

His CTI lp

and some mid-70's bullshite

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    The 1969 record on EMI/Odeon? Dude, I just don't think you're ready for it yet. That's not Milton's fault.

• soulstrut: proving again and again that opinions can be wrong

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Milton is boring. He passed on Valles for Miltons, and that's just sad.

Marcos Valle is more overrated than Nascimento. Valle's mid-60s records are great, but he went cheesy a lot earlier than many of his contemporaries. As a matter of fact, his only great post-1970 album was the one he recorded with Milton Nascimento's backing band.

Clube Da Esquina 1
    S/T (pictured above)
    Travessia

those are my favorites, but there's definitely good material on CDE 2 and Minas among others

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'd say Milton is pretty tepid outside of a couple tracks. Valle on the other hand had some great albums that make up for his later garbage.

• I'm with Jewy on this one. Does NOTHING for me.

Put me in the 'WRONG OPINION,' category.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'd say Milton is pretty tepid outside of a couple tracks. Valle on the other hand had some great albums that make up for his later garbage.

yes I own Samba '68 and that sons anything I've heard from Milton

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I haven't heard this one , but honestly I've been burned by him enough

you don't sleep with a girl again after she gave you the clap 3 times

I ain't never grinding with Nascimento no more

• believe it or not some artists only have a couple of consistently good records. it's really something

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm not a huge Milton fan, but his S/T is a really good record on the whole. I just bought a copy from a strutter actually.

The real issue here is that tropicalia is just a small subset of Brasilian music and there's a lot more out there, and a TON of stuff that just isn't known to most people. You gotta remember that these dudes like Milton, Jorge Ben, and Gilberto Gil were and are pop stars who were perpetually forced to tone down their music, both lyrically and musically. You are bound to encounter some garbage along the way.

• I'm not a huge Milton fan, but his S/T is a really good record on the whole. I just bought a copy from a strutter actually.

The real issue here is that tropicalia is just a small subset of Brasilian music and there's a lot more out there, and a TON of stuff that just isn't known to most people. You gotta remember that these dudes like Milton, Jorge Ben, and Gilberto Gil were and are pop stars who were perpetually forced to tone down their music, both lyrically and musically. You are bound to encounter some garbage along the way.

I don't think the haters (myself included) are bitching about the toned down stuff. It is the canonical, universally loved stuff that doesn't resonate with me.

I'll give him credit; his sound is different from everybody else. I just don't like it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It is the canonical, universally loved stuff that doesn't resonate with me.

I'll give him credit; his sound is different from everybody else. I just don't like it.

exactly

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It is all toned down stuff. All of the typical tropicalia canon.

It's really hard for me to imagine throwing on CDE and not enjoying it on a really deep level. It's one of my favorite albums of any genre, and that's saying a lot.