OBVIOUS classics you JUST got into

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Sot of similar to the "classics that suck thread" but with the possibilities of a good look.FIRST CHOICE: Let man put us asunder. oh god, I always knew about this track but never heard it until this past weekend with I heard it at Good Records. As certain contribetuer to the board busted my chops about it but in a strange turn of events I found a copy of the 12'' on the street on the way to the shop.Naw I can't decide which side I like MORE. The Shep Petibone mix or the brighter Frankie Knuckles version..I got the Shep playing right now.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the very opening seconds of this song are great because it always takes me a minute to recognize it, but my brain goes into "I KNOW THIS" excited mode anyway

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    the very opening seconds of this song are great because it always takes me a minute to recognize it, but my brain goes into "I KNOW THIS" excited mode anyway

I played it out last Saturday for the first time in ages and it went down quite well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Always liked "Love Thing" just a little more from First Choice.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    it's a favorite, it was in a swedish skate video back in the late nineties and i've loved it since..

can't think of any classics i just got into. maybe someone can name some classics in the same style so i can get into them

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

FIRST CHOICE: Let man put us asunder.

Ha I just picked up/got privy to this 12" this year. And, I just played while shaving on Monday.

It's house music's Kool n the Gang NT

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I just found these cds in a junk shop last month, and thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Of course, almost no-one bought these at the time, but now are sweated as being major classics. I'd never heard any track bar 'Cello Song' and then only the once. And it made no impression on that one hearing.

Now, having listened a few times, I find myself being drawn into the introspective moodiness and wanting to go back regularly, and join all the other brand new Drake fans. I have seen the light. BTW is this obvious enough? It's obvious in an 'older rock head who reads Mojo' kind of way....

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    I was in good records on Sunday and they played a version of let no man put asunder that sounded housed up...pretty sure it was a Chicago remix...was this when u were there?

• I was in good records on Sunday and they played a version of let no man put asunder that sounded housed up...pretty sure it was a Chicago remix...was this when u were there?

I WAS LURKING ACROSS THE STREET WITH A TELESCOPE MANG. CREEPIN' THROUGH THE HOOD.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    B-52's - Mesopotamia

Played this at a party a couple of weeks ago...and this dude came up and told me how he lived in NY back in the day and it would get played in clubs all of the time and how the song is still very relevant today and basically he was seemingly really wanting me to share in his retrospective revelry...and I was like: sorry, but this is probably like only my 4th time to ever really hear this song.

• Options
    Let no man put asunder.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I just got into this LP today really like it and had never really heard of it before!

Any stuff in a similar vein I should be checkin out?

• maxchampmaxchamp 54 Posts

Now I can't decide which side I like MORE. The Shep Petibone mix or the brighter Frankie Knuckles version..

Shep.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "I just called to say I love you " by Mr S. Wonder.

I don't know what was wrong with me all these years.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Always liked "Love Thing" just a little more from First Choice.

This opinion is wrong. Take that shit to the breaks.com

I've had them for a while, but lately have really been appreciating Ramsey Lewis - Mother Nature's Son and Them Changes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

oh god, I always knew about this track but never heard it until this past weekend with I heard it at Good Records.

Not even the Mary J. Blige remake?

• Good topic. I'm ashamed to admit it took me more than a while to finally get into Earth Wind & Fire, which I finally did a couple years ago. Not that I didn't like their music, I just always passed up the records for some reason. Foolish, I know...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    LEROY HUTSON. Especially "Feel the Spirit". Cheap record and I don't know why I slept for so damn long.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "I finally copped Off The Wall...."

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I just got into this LP today really like it and had never really heard of it before!

Any stuff in a similar vein I should be checkin out?
    ha i just got into this recently too. great album

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Also Krautrock I've not been that much into before, although aware of Can, Ash Ra Tempel, Neu!, etc I'd not properly listened. So I'll add "Ege Bamyasi".

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    just picked up LOVE __ FOREVER CHANGES and now know what i was missing.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation

I should have been down with this years ago.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Grass Roots.

Always loved their hits, am now just starting to explore their actual albums. Feelings is a lost pop-psych gem; Lovin' Things is from later, when they became more bubblegum, although some of the "progressive" album tracks probably explain why they were still holding their own at hipster venues like the Fillmores East & West.[/b]

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I went on a serious Kinks kick a couple years back.
    I can't believe I went so many years without them in
    my musical world.
    Essential as essential gets....

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    That Pink moon record is beautifull.
    I personally just picked up "Freedom flight" by Shuggie Otis and played "Strawberry letter 23" about 20 times in a row and I'm not exagerating.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    More like late last year, but...

Fela's "Shakara"
    Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder"
    Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey"
    A lot of Alan Tew, Hawkshaw, etc. stuff

I was born in '83. Sue me.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Late miles stuff, the non-Herbie/Ron/Tony stuff.
    Non-in-joke Zappa.
    Today it's been a dip into the Fooey's collection and a bit of The Style Council (Tracy Thorn-related). Girl has a nice voice.