I watched Grizzly Man last night

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
(shows late pass)WOW. I know crink was posting about this a while ago, but I could not find it.On so many levels...where to start? Completely exceeded my expectations. One of the best documentaries I've seen. I still don't know how I feel about this dude. I got really scared when I thought they were going to play the audio tape.Also enjoyed the bonus footage with Richard Thompson and Jim O'Rourke in the studio.SO GOOD.

Comments

• Yeah, that doc is intense.

How many would choose to listen to the audio footage if they could?

Why listen to someone being eaten by a bear, when you could just read the responses to some poor slob who stumbled in here asking for a sample ID?

• Options
    What is it about?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Nah, I don't think I'd listen to that shit at all, man.

I'm not into brutal shit like that.

Why listen to someone being eaten by a bear, when you could just read the responses to some poor slob who stumbled in here asking for a sample ID?

Haha. I hadn't thought of it that way.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    All I saw when I watched that movie was nature correcting the mistakes of an unstable, unwell man. Tim Treadwell paid dearly for his fantasies regarding nature. I have absolutely no pity for him. Warner Herzog did a great job with the material he had at hand, but I think anyone who has ever spent any time "in the wild" knows that this guy had it coming.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yeah, that doc is intense.

Yeah. The coroner dude was off the chain. I liked how he set up the scene and then WH listens and has to stop then tells the chick to destroy it. I wonder if she did? I bet she kept it.

Nice bowlcut, BTW.

• What is it about?

AIN'T THIS THAT POOR SLOB???

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

HAHAHAHAHA dude I explained that very scenario to my girl last night and then showed her the most recent one, she said "you guys are mean"

All I saw when I watched that movie was nature correcting the mistakes of an unstable, unwell man. Tim Treadwell paid dearly for his fantasies regarding nature. I have absolutely no pity for him. Warner Herzog did a great job with the material he had at hand, but I think anyone who has ever spent any time "in the wild" knows that this guy had it coming.

Yeah. But I wonder if this dude was just a troubled failed actor knowing he was gonna drink himself to death simply engaging in another form of extended suicide? He was constantly talking about dying. Then, in that last trip he was really asking for it. One thing for sure, he knew coming back that late in the fall, when the 'retarded' bears would be scrounging, that he would get ate.

But I pretty much agree with you. And I like how WH was both unflattering and sympathetic.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

Yeah. But I wonder if this dude was just a troubled failed actor knowing he was gonna drink himself to death simply engaging in another form of extended suicide? He was constantly talking about dying. The in that last trip he was really asking for it. One thing for sure, he knew coming back that late in the fall, when the 'retarded' bears would be scrounging, that he would get ate.

But I pretty much agree with you. And I like how WH was both unflattering and sympathetic.

Yeah, I felt bad for him only because he DID seem to need to get some real help. WH definitely framed the entire story realistically. Sean Penn's bio-pic "Into the Wild" about Christopher McCandless' journey and death in Alaska glorified this same kind of nonsense in a far more dangerous way than Grizzly Man. Reading Jack London, Hemingway, or a handful of PETA pamphlets does not physically or mentally prepare you to deal with the REAL, real shit.

• I guess the dvd version omitted a scene where dude was on Letterman and Dave asks him if he thinks he might get eaten by a bear sometime.

Omitted because Letterman requested it to be.

Funny you mention Into the Wild. I watch that last week. I thought it was put together in a very annoying way. Sean Penn should stick to acting b/w Wm. Hurt in his most annoying role since Hx of Violence. Then Eddie Vedder pretty much sealed the turd.

Overall the story itself is good as allegory--if you think about it like that there is some depth to take away and dwell on later. Decent cinematography in the Alaska scenes (shooting fish in barrel). I should have read the book.

• What is it about?

AIN'T THIS THAT POOR SLOB???

GGGRRRRRRRRR GROOOWWWWWLLLLL GRRRRRRRRR..AAAAARRRRRGHGHGHGHGH...OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD!!!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Then Eddie Vedder pretty much sealed the turd.

Ha.

Saw this last week too and seconds into the opening credits I called it. "Is that Eddie Frickin' Vedder? Really?"

Other than that I liked the film.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah. But I wonder if this dude was just a troubled failed actor knowing he was gonna drink himself to death simply engaging in another form of extended suicide? He was constantly talking about dying. Then, in that last trip he was really asking for it. One thing for sure, he knew coming back that late in the fall, when the 'retarded' bears would be scrounging, that he would get ate.

I feel the same. I could not help but intensely dislike the guy, but I just wanted him to go get a job on a game preserve or some shit, put himself to some real use, not get eaten. 'Becoming' a bear is a deeply pointless purpose to have on this planet, IMO, mainly because the passion and drive that the guy displayed could have actually acomplished something if he hadn't been so deluded.

Good documentary tho.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Possibly the best film of this century (so far).

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I still need to see this. Regarding him getting a real job etc.......

Anytime I saw him interviewed he seemed very "out there" and could only be at home in the wilderness. I think some people like this have a singular destiny and thankfully give us some good research and insite (into people and bears) before their untimely demise.

Then Eddie Vedder pretty much sealed the turd.

Ha.

Saw this last week too and seconds into the opening credits I called it. "Is that Eddie Frickin' Vedder? Really?"

Other than that I liked the film.

He also sings over Body or War which hopefully does take away from what could be an excellent documentary.

http://www.bodyofwar.com/

Speaking of Eddie Vedder. I don't really hate him. Sort of. I guess he's OK if Neil Young rode with him. I was listening to David Ackles "American Gothic" last night and it appears EV lifted his whole vocel style from Achles. I don't know if I like him either.

Who rides for David Ackles?

Anytime I saw him interviewed he seemed very "out there" and could only be at home in the wilderness. I think some people like this have a singular destiny and thankfully give us some good research and insite (into people and bears) before their untimely demise.

Yeah, remember his tirade about the Parks and Rec people? I think he worked there for a long time.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    you gotta give dude credit the way he was setting up all the shots and doing lots of extra takes and stuff im sure he planned on showing all this stuff, i think Werner Herzog pretty much just did some editing and walla, you have a deeply engrossing doc film. i saw this in theater with the letterman clip....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah, remember his tirade about the Parks and Rec people? I think he worked there for a long time.

I gotta say that I seriously doubt the veracity of any research this guy conducted. I think what he teaches us is that wild animals act like wild animals and are not to be trifled with, no matter how good your intentions.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    i think Werner Herzog pretty much just did some editing

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I feel the same. I could not help but intensely dislike the guy

yeah man. i've never seen a man that i wanted to hear getting eaten by a bear more than him. the doc itself was interesting enough, but silly as hell at the same time.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I really enjoyed Alone in the Wilderness about Dick Proenneke:

"In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a back-country cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude."

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    'retarded' bears

I just thought I'd google "retarded bear" real quick. ^ This is the first result.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Nah, I don't think I'd listen to that shit at all, man.

I'm not into brutal shit like that.

Yeah, your avatar makes that pretty clear.

Anyways, GREAT movie. Saw King of Kong the other day and even though it can't be compared with GM, it reminded me that a good documentary can be so fascinating. Like, who ARE these people?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

The one thing that I wonder is, did he try to stay calm and "talk to the bear" and keep up his weirdo games while he was being eaten? Did he stay that way till the bitter end?

Or maybe he started yelling "I hate you Frickin' bears, I should've known you were going to eat me, I hope you all DIE!!!"

That's some moment of truth shit right there.

• I really enjoyed Alone in the Wilderness about Dick Proenneke:

"In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a back-country cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude."

I ride for this immensely.

Real life version of...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Grizzly Man just annoyed me.

I much prefered this Herzog doc.