CatNip/LeBoring/Vogue Ig'nant

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Not saying he does or doesn't, but if he liked that shot, would you still think it's racist?

Yes

Does that imply that he's not smart enough to see that he is buying into a racist plot against him?

Yes

And where are the responsible Caucasoids to inform him of that editorial choice?

Im sure he was shown this before it went to print, at least i would hope so.

Ive heard that its really out of the models hands after a certain point.

Oh I'm sure it is, I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate, really. I also think people are reading into it a little too much, but that's to be expected (and that might be what Vogue editors were going for, racist or not). The thing is that it will always be up to your interpetation, so it is however you see it. All art is left to interperetation, and I'm pretty sure nobody can come out and prove that this magazine cover is or isn't absolutely racist. It is what ever you see it as, really. I just see it as a magazine cover. I'd rather watch LeBron on the court anyway, so I didn't really think to hard about it. To me, LeBron is an amazing dude, and if there's white folks out there that are scared of black people, then that's their problem. Does this perpetuate a stereotype? I guess it does in some peoples' eyes. But at the same time, most of those people who are affected by stereotypes like that are going to think that way anyway. This isn't a magazine cover that's going to start converting 20th century, forward thinking, diversified, multi-cultural type white folks to start being afraid of black people. If anything, it might make more people realize how beautiful South American women can be!! Haha.

Could be that LeBron wants to shake his image up a bit, no? Like Bassie said, does he have to be smiling and in a suit to be acceptable? That seems more racist to me...

Why couldnt Giselle be in sports gear?

Cuz she doesn't play sports?

• Now all the sudden everybody on Soulstrut is gonna become an expert witness on the editorial process of fashion photography for magazine publication, including but not limited to the management heirarchical structure and the artistic contstraints of photographers even though most of Soulstrut wouldn't know the interior offices of Vogue any more than they would the Oval Office, just like how after 9/11 all the sudden everybody's an expert on the melting capacity of structural metals or the landing trajectory of an aircraft even when they never took a simple drafting class or watched an entire episode of Nova, watch out! Yon LeBron has a lean and hungry look, he just bowled over Ugly Betty, chopped up some white girl, skyscrapers are trembling and pieces of hot fuselage are headed your way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Could be that LeBron wants to shake his image up a bit, no? Like Bassie said, does he have to be smiling and in a suit to be acceptable? That seems more racist to me...

Why couldnt Giselle be in sports gear?

Cuz she doesn't play sports?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I heard that Vogue had narrowed it down to this photo and one of Kobe with a blonde chick bent over a chair and they chose this one?

I heard that Vogue had narrowed it down to this photo and one of Kobe with a blonde chick bent over a chair and they chose this one?

I wonder if they were gonna darken KOBE's skin using the OJ Time magazine technique.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Blond white (or white-looking) woman: yes.

are you suggesting Gisele is anything other than white?

Is this a trick question? She's Brazilian/Latina. She looks white, but if we're throwing colors around, wouldn't she be considered brown? I mean, I know peoples of latin, asian, and african heritage that have lightly pigmented skin, but I don't think any of them would consider themselves "white", necessarilly.

Is this a trick question? She's Brazilian/Latina. She looks white, but if we're throwing colors around, wouldn't she be considered brown? I mean, I know peoples of latin, asian, and african heritage that have lightly pigmented skin, but I don't think any of them would consider themselves "white", necessarilly.

it's not a trick question, it's a SOULSTRUT race question!

I mean, she's white. straight up. she's what, 1 (maybe 2) generations removed from Germany or whatever? white.

shit, even Mexico has white people (though that's a more complicated case perhaps).

but in a country like Brazil there's pretty clear divide, and ol girl is WHITE. sorry.

German White Brazilian.

German White Brazilian.

saying. she's "white" in her country and would pass for white anywhere else in the world. she's white. not everyone who speaks spanish or portuguese is brown.

I am sorry, I did not know she was German, always read that she was Brazillian. I guess she's white, then. Being born in Brazil to German parents does not make you Latin. It might make you Brazillian, but not Latin. Heh. She fine, though. No doubt.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    DUDE BUNDCHEN IS NOT PORTUGUESE

No, it's not, but her mom's name could've been Portuguese before they married for all I know.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

German White Brazilian.

saying. she's "white" in her country and would pass for white anywhere else in the world. she's white. not everyone who speaks spanish or portuguese is brown.

Aiight then. They said she was Brazilian in the blurb, I was going on that. I was gonna say white but I put in the "white-looking" part because she's brazilian and I knew fools were gonna snap on that like "Yo, she's brazilian, son! Why're you calling her white?" And then this.

You can't win around here.

Whether she's "white" or not, I gives a fuck. For the purposes of the picture she's white, Lebron's black. As we've discussed, this is a black and white issue, literally and figuratively.

German White Brazilian.

Aiight then. They said she was Brazilian in the blurb, I was going on that. I was gonna say white but I put in the "white-looking" part because she's brazilian and I knew fools were gonna snap on that like "Yo, she's brazilian, son! Why're you calling her white?" And then this.

Whether she's "white" or not, I gives a fuck. For the purposes of the picture she's white, Lebron's black. As we've discussed, this is a black and white issue, literally and figuratively.

u sound white

u sound white

Close. I'm actually "white."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

u sound white

I thought you were just white-looking.

Haha.

OK so I became more curious and started wikiing this chick to find out the following:

She is part of the 6th generation of her family in Brazil.

She is from a region of Brazil largely populated by Brazillians of German descent.

She has a twin sister ().

Her Mother's last name was Nonnenmacher, and I'm not sure, but that could be French, Portuguese, or maybe even German.

That is all.

u sound white

Well yeah. I actually identify as "white-looking." When I fill out forms, though, I check the box marked "white."

truer words hath doth ne'r been spoketh.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

u sound white

Well yeah. I actually identify as "white-looking." When I fill out forms, though, I check the box marked "white."

You should write in the "-looking" part. Keep those mofos guessing whether they should deny your car loan.

u sound white

You should write in the "-looking" part. Keep those mofos guessing whether they should deny your car loan.

You're right. I'll do that next time. Usually the box just says white and I have to write in the quotation marks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

truer words hath doth ne'r been spoketh.

That's the point though.

He doesn't get to win - we get to win.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    If he wasn't black, would we be having this conversation?

I don't think so, cause apparently he needs to be smiling and in a goddamn suit for people to feel he's "safe".

I don't know if this was directed at me (I'm guessing it was), but it is a fashion magazine, right? So seeing dude in a suit is not a far stretch or racist or whatever, it just seems like the logical move.

• he's also half magic johnson

Which half?

• The best thing I read about this was from a black woman who worked in the fashion magazine industry. She said, basically, "While I don't find this offensive, one way to prevent things like this controversy would be to actually put black people on your editorial staffs."

Pretty much the open/shut on this for me. Given the way LeBron plays the game of basketball, his face didn't bother me (Look, we know he can pass...but, that isn't how he makes an impression. Dude is a force of nature on the court.) That said, this can easily be interpreted poorly, and there is no denying that.

And, what is the best way to defend against those misinterpretations? Better editing, from a more diverse editorial staff.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    People read too much into stuff.

Seriously, I can't believe a picture like this stirs up controversy. Then again, I'm European.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    People read too much into stuff.

Seriously, I can't believe a picture like this stirs up controversy. Then again, I'm European.

^^^Thinks Public Enemy is too sensitive.

• There's just no way to put a black man next to a white woman on a magazine cover and have someone not complain.

I suggest putting LeBron's head on Giselle's body and vise versa.