which 1971 album holds up better?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
OR...The Bar-Kays' Black Rock? (sorry, couldn't find a printable image online!)[/b](obviously, I can't compare these two even though they are both fine examples of heavy metal as played by black folk. but i saw the '91 and '81 threads and thought i'd keep the trend going. any prime '71 elpees you wanna floss here, go get 'em! and NO, it doesnt necessarily have to be what you were listening to that year...)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yo - I looked at 1971 and it was just too ridiculous in terms of possible great albums I skipped it in favor of 2001.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have yet to hear The Black Rock album and I dont return to Maggotbrain all that often so I cant make a clear critique.

but i keeps this warm......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Maggot Brain easily.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am still not getting the "black rock" as 100% rock...yes it has heavy guitars and some riffs, but there is nothing on that album as rock as "Super Stupid"..the bar kays is still a funk LP before it is a rock LP...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yo - I looked at 1971 and it was just too ridiculous in terms of possible great albums I skipped it in favor of 2001.

Aw, dude, that is such a copout ('specially from someone like you who knows his stuff)! I don't think '71 would be any more ridiculous than any other year! Although any 12-month period that gave us both You're So Beautiful and Teenage Head was definitely !

thinkin about it "Gotta Groove" is a much heavier LP than "Black Rock"...

I am still not getting the "black rock" as 100% rock...

Maggot Brain isnt 100% rock either.

Black Rock had "how sweet it would be"
    Maggot Brain had "can you get to that"
    both albums are tied one for one as far as having a conventional soul song bustin' up an otherwise fuzzed-out funk-rock set

any other '71 picks?

any other '71 picks?

Curtis Live

I am still not getting the "black rock" as 100% rock...

Maggot Brain isnt 100% rock either.

Black Rock had "how sweet it would be"
    Maggot Brain had "can you get to that"
    both albums are tied one for one as far as having a conventional soul song bustin' up an otherwise fuzzed-out funk-rock set

any other '71 picks?

I went a grabbed a copy outta the bins(as I hadnt listened to it in awhile and I wanted to make sure I wasnt mistakin), and I still dont hear much heavy rock that can compare to Maggot Brain on Black Rock..."Baby I Love You" has a pretty cool heavy riff..but besides that...just soul tracks..."Street Walker" from "Gotta Groove" is a lot heavier than anything on Black Rock.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

any other '71 picks?

• Is this one really that good? I think I've seen it mentioned here on the Strut a few times, but I've never yet had the chance to hear it...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Is this one really that good? I think I've seen it mentioned here on the Strut a few times, but I've never yet had the chance to hear it...

YES, it is really that good. Popcorn is not even the strongest track on there imo...I recommend you hear it.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Is this one really that good? I think I've seen it mentioned here on the Strut a few times, but I've never yet had the chance to hear it...

This record is Bananas!!!!! The riffs are killer, the drums tight and Perry intro's are crutial!

Aw, dude, that is such a copout ('specially from someone like you who knows his stuff)! I don't think '71 would be any more ridiculous than any other year! Although any 12-month period that gave us both You're So Beautiful and Teenage Head was definitely !

Compare 1971 with 2001. All years are definitely NOT equal.

71 has:

Blue
    What's Going On
    Sticky Fingers
    Tapestry
    There's a Riot Going On
    Let's Stay Together
    Maggot Brain
    Just As I Am
    Revolution of the Mind
    Electric Warrior
    Imagine

Hell, even a cornball ass album like "American Pie" would sooner get a spin from me then most of what came out in 2001.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    What's Going On
    There's a Riot Going On

asked and answered in the same year!

how much shit am i about to get for STILL not owning "what's going on" (even though i must admit its getting harder and harder to find...)

• A great year for early reggae.

What's Going On
    There's a Riot Going On

how much shit am i about to get for STILL not owning "what's going on" (even though i must admit its getting harder and harder to find...)

??????????????????

Hmmm, the sight of Marvin Gaye close-up in the rain with his coat collar turned up is still a familiar sight to me...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Headless Heroes
    Paranoid
    Master of Reality
    Tago Mago
    first Cluster, Ash Ra Tempel, and Faust albums...

• Headless Heroes

This album is crap. I read somewhere that it was a dollarbincommon record until sampled.

Headless Heroes

This album is crap. I read somewhere that it was a dollarbincommon record until sampled.

I definitely prefer this album to Eugene McDaniels' previous LP, Outlaw.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Maggot Brain so very, very[/b] easily.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

What about these?

-"Freedom Flight"-Shuggie Otis.
    -"What is It?"-S.O.U.L.
    -"S/T"-Rasputin's Stash.
    -"The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"-Traffic.
    -"S/T"-Donny Hathaway.
    -"Blue"-Joni Mitchell.
    -"All Day Music"-War.
    -"Pain"-The Ohio Players.
    -"Young, Gifted, and Black"-Aretha Franklin.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Headless Heroes

and Outlaw is pretty good. so i'm assuming Headless Heroes is ACTUALLY pretty great.

What's Going On
    There's a Riot Going On

??????????????????

Hmmm, the sight of Marvin Gaye close-up in the rain with his coat collar turned up is still a familiar sight to me...

iowa is horrible for Soul albums. the last "what's going on" i saw was last year and i ended up not getting it so i could take a chance on some other albums i was less likely to see again.

i havent seen it since.

then again im sure the dollarbincommon Soul LP's pretty much anywhere in the country are at LEAST $5-6 around here, if you can find them. not that thats a big deal, its just harder to locate the stuff here.

Compare 1971 with 2001. All years are definitely NOT equal.
    71 has:
    Blue
    What's Going On
    Sticky Fingers
    Tapestry
    There's a Riot Going On
    Let's Stay Together
    Maggot Brain
    Just As I Am
    Revolution of the Mind
    Electric Warrior
    Imagine

Hell, even a cornball ass album like "American Pie" would sooner get a spin from me then most of what came out in 2001.

Ill defend 2001, even if it doesnt measure up. Fell free to clon.

LadyTron - 604
    JadaKiss - Kiss The Game Good Bye
    Zero 7 - Simple Things
    DelTron 3030 - The Instrumentals
    Aaliyah - Aaliyah
    The Isley Bros. Featuring Ronald Isley aka Mr.Biggs - Eternal
    Mariah Carey - Glitter.....i know im in trouble for that
    Angie Stone - Mahoghany Soul
    Michael Jackson - Invincible
    Nate Dog - Music & Me

Headless Heroes

and Outlaw is pretty good.

Not to me. I thought that album was interesting, as far as hearing a former pop star mutate into a socially-conscious singer-songwriter, but it ain't no desert island disc. Headless Heroes is far superior. Hell, any Gene McDaniels best-of with "Tower Of Strength" and "A Hundred Pounds Of Clay" would be a better bet.

I like "Outlaw" for "Cherrystones" and that about does it. "Headless Heroes" is a far more interesting and compelling album, musically and conceptually.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I like "Outlaw" for "Cherrystones" and that about does it. "Headless Heroes" is a far more interesting and compelling album, musically and conceptually.

'Outlaw' is really about 'Unspoken dreams of light' primarily - then 'Cherrystones'. 'Headless heroes....' is genius from start to finish - but you gotta hear it. ie it's not instant at all.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    mmhh some funky soul-jazz sessions and 2 great concerts come to mind...

But Outlaw is the most compelling visually:

The stark B&W cover of this album has always intrigued me, from the moment I first saw it advertised on an Atlantic innersleeve. (I believe that's McDaniels' wife on the far right, BTW.)

'Outlaw' is really about 'Unspoken dreams of light' primarily - then 'Cherrystones'.

The two tracks that stood out for me were "Outlaw" and the singsongy "Welfare City."

'Headless heroes....' is genius from start to finish - but you gotta hear it. ie it's not instant at all.

I beg to differ. It grabbed me instantly! Definitely one of '71's best.