which 1971 album holds up better?

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I like "Outlaw" for "Cherrystones" and that about does it. "Headless Heroes" is a far more interesting and compelling album, musically and conceptually.

'Outlaw' is really about 'Unspoken dreams of light' primarily - then 'Cherrystones'. 'Headless heroes....' is genius from start to finish - but you gotta hear it. ie it's not instant at all.

I agree with this. I can understand how the focused, nervous energy and folk cues coursing through the album make more sense for the generation prior to mine, but it's really a solid listen, even if you don't initially "get it." Outlaw is a lesser album, to be sure.

• I'm always suspicious when people claim that albums need to be "digested." That usually means they didn't sound good to begin with.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm always suspicious when people claim that albums need to be "digested." That usually means they didn't sound good to begin with.

I don't expect to hit it off with every album the first time I hear it. There are a number of reasons why this might be the case; some genres may foreign to fresh ears; some LPs are simply more complex or layered and just need to be processed. Less obviously formatic albums, namely Jazz and Prog LPs, can have a situational effect; their impact can depend on the topical climate of the listener. For example, Can's "Future Days" and some of Terry Riley's work sounds different to me almost every time I listen to it. Even straightforward music mightn't "take" at first glance. I never "got" "Safe As Milk" until I listened to it two years after the first time I heard it.

Re-evaluations of art are necessary. We - as the ones experiencing the art - are not static beings, and good art often supercedes the artist or their intent.

• I'm always suspicious when people claim that albums need to be "digested." That usually means they didn't sound good to begin with.

I don't expect to hit it off with every album the first time I hear it. There are a number of reasons why this might be the case; some genres may foreign to fresh ears; some LPs are simply more complex or layered and just need to be processed. Less obviously formatic albums, namely Jazz and Prog LPs, can have a situational effect; their impact can depend on the topical climate of the listener. For example, Can's "Future Days" and some of Terry Riley's work sounds different to me almost every time I listen to it. Even straightforward music mightn't "take" at first glance. I never "got" Safe As Milk until I listened to it two years after the first time I heard it.

Re-evaluations of art are necessary. We - as the ones experiencing the art - are not static beings, and good art often supercedes the artist or their intent.

No offense, but you're trying way too hard right here.

I was specifically railing against those who claim that albums need to be "digested" because they're supposedly deep.

I can understand if it doesn't fit a mood.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm always suspicious when people claim that albums need to be "digested." That usually means they didn't sound good to begin with.

I have many much loved albums that didn't floor me on first listen.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I don't expect to hit it off with every album the first time I hear it. There are a number of reasons why this might be the case; some genres may foreign to fresh ears; some LPs are simply more complex or layered and just need to be processed. Less obviously formatic albums, namely Jazz and Prog LPs, can have a situational effect; their impact can depend on the topical climate of the listener. For example, Can's "Future Days" and some of Terry Riley's work sounds different to me almost every time I listen to it. Even straightforward music mightn't "take" at first glance. I never "got" Safe As Milk until I listened to it two years after the first time I heard it.

No offense, but you're trying way too hard right here.

I was specifically railing against those who claim that albums need to be "digested" because they're supposedly deep.

I can understand if it doesn't fit a mood.

No offense, but I don't think you explained yourself very clearly. Also you put "digested" in quotes even though you were the first one to use the word here...