Darondo "didn't I" ... sweetest soul song ever???

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
just listened to it a couple of times and it is...so good!!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Up the MP3......

• Yes. One of the Best.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's nice to see him getting some more serious recognition outside of record heads these days with the live performances. Shows that even when it seems like most people don't care, there is an audience out there.

Buy the reissue! It has unreleased tracks and Darondo makes money on the release.

• Buy the reissue! It has unreleased tracks and Darondo makes money on the release.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    my girlfriends fave for a long time..

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah man. that track has been on steady repeat lately. And i couldnt believe it when they used it in that AMC show Breaking Bad. My boys thought it was al green until I hipped them to the real.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    My boys thought it was al green until I hipped them to the real.

i bet this has been the case for 35 years.

• fvck yeah! thanks, i had heard him on clutchy hopkins album, but this is real smoov.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    used to play this on my ipod last summer while riding my bike everywhere. oh in the summeertime... this will continue in 08 along with some new favorites as well.

i love wen it gets nice out and the time comes to go threw all the music u found during the winter, make a playlist and venture out on the bicycle .

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Sweetest soul song ever? YES.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    every time i talk to the man he's overwhelmed by the response he gets from his music. traveling, interviews, recording in the studio, practice with the band, etc.

its also happening at such a time in his life where his business with homes crashed hard and he needed something else to fill the time until the market goes back up.

thanks to all of you who have supported his projects and gone to see him live... hes not here to say it to yall but he appreciates it!

• jinx, thanks for passing that along, and thanks to you for helping bring Darondo's music back to the public eye.

I agree with the original title of this thread..."Didn't I," is probably the most beautiful soul song I've ever heard. I, like many I've read on here, remember hearing it for the first time, and just turning to my girlfriend next to me and saying, "This is the most beautiful song I've ever heard." True facemelt moment.

• Can somebody please bring him to NYC for a gig asap?

Peace,

Dress

• Options
    Holy Fuck this is insane. I never heard Darondo until right now. Insane.

• Don't sleep on his other joints either people... Listen To My Song, Let Me People Go, Legs... bananas.

• Don't sleep on his other joints either people... Listen To My Song, Let Me People Go, Legs... bananas.

right right...incredible stuff...

• "Legs" is the cut.

I seem to remember him having a nice article in an older WaxPo?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

FILLMORE[/b]

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I, like many I've read on here, remember hearing it for the first time

i remember this. i believe it was jinx who posted it up with some backstory. little did we know he'd be ushering in a full length rerelease later on.

True facemelt moment.

indeed

similar to the first time i heard 'precious wing' which could be the second sweetest soul song ever

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    pretty much the sweetest soul song ever. still sad about my wasted ticket to see darondo live due to getting the flu

• pretty much the sweetest soul song ever. still sad about my wasted ticket to see darondo live due to getting the flu

Yeah, Mrs. Hogg was sick for that one, too.

BTW, love your Controller 7 avatar, Edith!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

BTW, love your Controller 7 avatar, Edith!

Yo dawg, I don't look nothin like dem fools. Reck-o-nize and real-eyes.

• BTW, love your Controller 7 avatar, Edith!

Yo dawg, I don't look nothin like dem fools. Reck-o-nize and real-eyes.

You have never worn a backpack?

NO FURTHER QUESTIONS.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Can't cosine enough... remember first hearing it on Gilles Peterson's show with Shadow a few years back. STILL never found one, though. Damn

• Dorando is garbage compared to the Isley Brothers.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

NO FURTHER QUESTIONS.

you best pump your reeboks thrice before stepping to the king, son. Check your bifocals, looks more like you.

• [Howling (with laughter)]

• Dorando is garbage compared to the Isley Brothers.

That is the funniest thing i've read all day...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can't remember who it was, but some time ago now, somebody posted up a remix they'd done of "Didn't I?" which used the drums from Dilla's "Fuck The Police", and it was really nice - sped up a little, but pretty sympathetic on the whole.