WOK appreciation poast

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I copped a Wok about 6 years ago and its really altered my kitchen game.Its so damn versatile. I cant think of any other pan, besides my Cast Iron Skillet, that i could do w/out. The typical home stove cant pump out the proper BTUs to really achieve the effects of the traditional Cast Iron wok, but ive learned to throw it into the stove for a while before I use it on the stovetop. Newjacks I recommend this book.

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Can you clarify the oven pre-heating? I use mine over a gas flame and (I think) it gets hot enough.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    After years of electric stoves (woks really just don't work on electric stoves) we got rid of the wok, much to my dismay. WE now have gas but, I've learned to stirfry in other pans. Still miss my wok.

Commercial stoves get much hotter than what is legal in home stoves. Resaurant chefs stirfry and saute (same thing I guess) very quickly on high tempatures while constantly keeping the food moving.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can you clarify the oven pre-heating? I use mine over a gas flame and (I think) it gets hot enough.

I own a Carbon steel wok which doesnt retain heat like Cast iron.
    I throw that joker into a 300-350 degree oven for a couple of minutes.
    The handle is made of wood, so ill wrap it w/ a wet paper towel to prevent it from dryin out. This will get the entire metal to be hot as opposed to workin it from the bottom up. This will help reduce cold spots on the surface.
    It depends on what your stir-fryin, but i still recommmend this procedure.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I own a Carbon steel wok which doesnt retain heat like Cast iron.
    I throw that joker into a 300-350 degree oven for a couple of minutes.
    The handle is made of wood, so ill wrap it w/ a wet paper towel to prevent it from dryin out. This will get the entire metal to be hot as opposed to workin it from the bottom up. This will help reduce cold spots on the surface.
    It depends on what your stir-fryin, but i still recommmend this procedure.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Thanks for the tip; I'll have to try that next time. Do you have any other tips/techniques? How'd you season yours?

Do you have any other tips/techniques? How'd you season yours?

every once in a while I simply coat it w/ either canola oil or pork fat.

I do it on the stove top and then throw it into the oven for it metal to "soak" it up. No different from keepin a skillet "seasoned"

I also recommend coppin a batch of Chinese chives from your Local Asian Exp market. Stir fry them jokers in yo wok to get rid of the impurities.

I learned this shit from that book I mentioned.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    cooking with a wok makes it look like you know what you're doing

cooking with a wok makes it look like you know what you're doing

Omlette from a Wok =

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Batmon trying to flex them skeeeeeeeeelllz.

I don't believe till I taste it

I don't believe till I taste it

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    electric wok is where its at

cook saute in your hotel room

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    HIPSTER CUISINE

HIPSTER CUISINE

Bulletproof/Extra Duck Sauce Local Black/Asian Exp cuisine, SON.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    wok + rice cooker

• I admit I asked for and received a wok for xmas from my girl and haven't even used it yet(honestly, I haven't cooked since before xmas). What's some good easy suggestions/recipes I need to know about? Sounds like yall know the deal.

I admit I asked for and received a wok for xmas from my girl and haven't even used it yet(honestly, I haven't cooked since before xmas). What's some good easy suggestions/recipes I need to know about? Sounds like yall know the deal.

Cut up some zucchini w/ some soy,sesame oil,rice wine vinegar and garlic.
    Oil the hot wok. Stirfry them jokers.Serve.

Dont overcook the veggie. Google that shit

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    鑊氣 all day every day. My daily operation includes pea shoots or watercress or chinese broccoli stir fried in a wok. My fav is w/ either shrimp paste or preserved bean curd.

I really need a gas stove, electric burners just ain't cutting it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Haven't used the wok since we moved back to Texas, but we got on a kick the year we lived in Oregon...making stir fry noodles with chicken, shrimp, all sorts of vegetables, and mad peanut sauce like twice every week.

Funny, I was just thinking the other day how it's time to bring back that dish and thus the wok.