Build an Ark

kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
The guy who programs the radio show after mine was playing some tracks from the new Build An Ark Lp Dawn.Its a group put together by Ammon Contact's Carlos Nino and borrows heavily from Sun Ra and Alice Coltrane. I was really impressed by the positive and spiritual music that this group creates. Free jazz in 08 is Anyone else feeling this?

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I am.

I really like what Carlos Nino is doing, especially those J Dilla tributes. http://www.myspace.com/filltheheartshapedcup

I liked the first Build an Ark quite a bit too, "Peace With Every Step."

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yeah i'll have to track Peace down. I was never really feeling a lot of the ammon contact stuff but now i think im goin to have to reinvestigae. Good looking on that heart shaped cup.I didn't know about that.

• build an ark is brilliant!
    like the remix project too...

...looking forward for future projects

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    just checked this recently, very impressed isnt the dude alice coltrane's cousin or something?

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Major respect to Carlos Nino, Dwight Trible, Phil Ranelin, Derf Reklaw, and the rest of the artists on Build An Ark. Always reppin' for LA.

Looks like they'll be playing at the Getty Museum next week. That should be a treat.

Their cover of "The Blessing Song" is great:

Flyin Lotus is alice coltranes cousin. He remixes Build an Ark but is not a member, I highly recommend checking his stuff out though. He just released an Ep on Warp. Which should give you an idea about the kind of music he makes.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've only got "Peace With Every Step". I like it, but they do come dangerously close to sounding like a spiritual jazz drum circle jam band. 80% of the tracks are covers of/references to songs by Michael White, Ronnie Laws, Pharaoh Sanders, Gary Bartz, Funk Inc. and others. I wish they'd come with more original compositions, like "Conversations", which is excellent.

It's a small gripe, because I really do like the album. Dwight Trible is great. The BAA version of "Door Of The Cosmos" that they put on the B-side of the Ammoncontact "Beat Tape Personalities" 12" is worth gettting too.

Is "Dawn" similar to "Peace With Every Step"?

Yeah i'll have to track Peace down. I was never really feeling a lot of the ammon contact stuff but now i think im goin to have to reinvestigae. Good looking on that heart shaped cup.I didn't know about that.

There is also this project between Carlos and Gaby that is worth checking for:
    http://www.myspace.com/lavozsabiadeloscosmos

Its not bad, I like the EP the most.

build an ark is brilliant!
    like the remix project too...

...looking forward for future projects

Indeed, those were very dope---J. Rocc and Dimlite ones especially.

I've only got "Peace With Every Step". I like it, but they do come dangerously close to sounding like a spiritual jazz drum circle jam band. 80% of the tracks are covers of/references to songs by Michael White, Ronnie Laws, Pharaoh Sanders, Gary Bartz, Funk Inc. and others. I wish they'd come with more original compositions, like "Conversations", which is excellent.

It's a small gripe, because I really do like the album. Dwight Trible is great. The BAA version of "Door Of The Cosmos" that they put on the B-side of the Ammoncontact "Beat Tape Personalities" 12" is worth gettting too.

Is "Dawn" similar to "Peace With Every Step"?

A lot of the Ammoncontact stuff I can get down with, that Beat Tape Personalities 12" is def. worth picking up as you say. "Dawn" is a little different from "Peace With Every Step." Seems like it has way more original material in it, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to really say.

• Seems like it has way more original material in it, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to really say.

It does, and i rate it above "peace with every step" which was nice, but too much of a "spiritual jazz' greatest hits" for my tastes. I think "dawn" is a big step forward.

NB: they just released a new ep w/ 5 new tracks and a 10+ minute cover of "a love supreme"

• love that cover art. I was into their first effort. some sunday afternoon chilling music. Yes it's hippie dippy, but I can still appreciate tracks like "Peace & Love".

need to check those remixes, never saw that before.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Flyin Lotus is alice coltranes cousin. He remixes Build an Ark but is not a member, I highly recommend checking his stuff out though. He just released an Ep on Warp. Which should give you an idea about the kind of music he makes.
    is that 1983?
    It seems like I'm one of the few people that wasn't blown away by this release.

I thought Alice was his aunt. Isn't the dude pretty young?

• yeah, alice was his aunt. 1983 was weak in terms of what he's capable of - the EP in question is Reset, which is getting closer to giving people a picture of he can do

yeah for sure 1983 was ehhh for me. But the Ep Reset is well worth picking up.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    did somebody mention from l.a. with love?

did somebody mention from l.a. with love?

Dope compilation

• yesterday i was listening to the first LP again. it set me in such a cool mood...b,121anybody else feeliing this?b,121b,121i must say, kindred spirits became one of my favourite "new" labels over the past months/years. they have some great releases. i also like that new kid sublime album! great stuff...keep the releases coming!

• I think Peace with every step is great, I basically gave up trying to find a vinyl copy.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I think Peace with every step is great, I basically gave up trying to find a vinyl copy.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121a href="http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=314781&ev=rb" target="_blank"1http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=314781&ev=rb/a1b,121b,121here, 12 euros. fantastic album.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121build an ark is brilliant!
    b,121like the remix project too...
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121...looking forward for future projects
    b,121
    b,121
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121king most kufi krate klassique.