Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    he said "vinyls".

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    shit this clumsy dude got records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    name that strutteur!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I couldn't understand half of what he's saying. I'm still jealous of his collection, though.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It's weird how he keeps all his shevles half full.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's weird how he keeps all his shevles half full.

Maybe he's a DJ?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I pity the fool who has to clean up that place every now and then.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    so im intrested anyone actually seen him dj live?

• simsim 16 Posts
    I always wondered what the brownswood basement looked like.. actually less stuff than i imagined. still a goldmine of rare jazz though, damn..

Kicks79 - I've seen Gilles play lots of times here in the UK, he's very much a legend / institution here. His old radio shows BITD on Kiss etc were incredible.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    i was just wondering if he beat mixes or if hes like russ drewbury ie a great selection but can't mix to save his life

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i was just wondering if he beat mixes or if hes like russ dewbury ie a great selection but can't mix to save his life

great selection, no mixing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    wow...dude needs some interns to clean that shit up.

• We need a "Quite a Raer One" graemlin.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    shades of spinal tap

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    A quite raer graemlin is in order.

For a DJ who is well known, he sure is quite messy. I don't know what I have? I mean we've all been there, but the fellow has quite a few records, and I'm sure some Brownsville interns should really be cleaning that mess up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For a DJ who is well known, he sure is quite messy.

I would think he has a whole alot more on his plate than the regular workin DJ, on top of not really being anal about his collectron.

• "you just stepped on a tribe record! that B-side was never released."

This dude is the shit in my opinion. And I have to disagree that he can't mix. Everytime I've heard him spin it's been a whole nother thing altogether. Feels more like a royal ball than a regular club event. He doesn't do lengthy blends or anything, but he'll definitely make a smooth fade.

And very down-to-earth, approachable & chill too. Had him as a guest on my radio show back in '05 and he came across as the kinda guy that just doesn't buy into hype or trends too much.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    We need a "Quite a Raer One" graemlin.
    He's lucky he didn't drop his coffey over the raers while saying that...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm impressed with how mellow he is about his collection. I would have imagined some serious grippeur tendencies. I'm also surprised by how modest his place is. I though Gilles would have some killer pad in the style of those photos of crazy houses owned by crazy German techno guys that were posted on the strut some time ago.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This dude is the shit in my opinion. And I have to disagree that he can't mix. Everytime I've heard him spin it's been a whole nother thing altogether. Feels more like a royal ball than a regular club event. He doesn't do lengthy blends or anything, but he'll definitely make a smooth fade.

And very down-to-earth, approachable & chill too. Had him as a guest on my radio show back in '05 and he came across as the kinda guy that just doesn't buy into hype or trends too much.

I've seen him play several times and he can def. mix. It does seem to make a difference where he's playing at, to what kind of set you'll get from him. I met him at John Stapletons' regular night in Bristol, and he was freakin out a little that he'd played too leftfield a set for the crowd. I felt the opposite, but it was cool that a dude who's been at it for so long, and has a real good name, still cared so much about not freaking people out with his wierd jazz records.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm impressed with how mellow he is about his collection. I would have imagined some serious grippeur tendencies. I'm also surprised by how modest his place is. I though Gilles would have some killer pad in the style of those photos of crazy houses owned by crazy German techno guys that were posted on the strut some time ago.

That's just his office. I'm guessing he has a pretty nice family home somewhere else.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    name that strutteur!

funky british guzzo?

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

That's just his office. I'm guessing he has a pretty nice family home somewhere else.

Yeah, this is Brownswood, his legendary house of records, he lives elsewhere.

Anybody not familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Peterson

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    name that strutteur!

funky british guzzo?

I remember thinking this also, when I first saw the clip. But dude's practically old enough to be Guzzo's father.

just fast forward to the 2:32 mark...

Here's one of our fellow strutter's setups...

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

YEESSSS!
    hahaha , it's official...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    A quite raer graemlin is in order.

For a DJ who is well known, he sure is quite messy. I don't know what I have? I mean we've all been there, but the fellow has quite a few records, and I'm sure some Brownsville interns should really be cleaning that mess up.

If I had his collection I wouldn't trust anyone to clean/tidy/sort either.
    Probably the records are worth more than the house in Brownswood Road.

He comes across in the clip as a little bit spaced out and inarticulate, which is not the real life case at all. Maybe it was too early or he'd had a heavy night.

He can be a bit next-level pretentious at times, and I have seen him crush little dudes in record shops which is NAGL. However, can't question his influence on the jazz scene from the early 80's, and his club nights have always been fire.
    Some brilliant comps too. Jazz Juice 1-10, anyone? So necessary.
    I ride, warily.