Crate Digging Pet Peeves

Comments

• Options
    The undermedicated prozac dealer.

The bad breath dealer.

The dude digging in the row next eye wonderer.

The drum break talk stranger. ("that has a break" and its steve miller bands take the money and run)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

i try SO hard to hide how much i do this. i AM that dude.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door...
    I wouldn't want strangers anywhere
    near my front door...

Couldn't they drop them off at your guard station then?
    No; they would do well to steer clear of my entire hamlet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I hate when there's a record you've never seen before,
    and it looks like it will be great, so you buy it.

And it sucks.

And after that, you start seeing it EVERYWHERE. To the point
    where you start thinking maybe you had been seeing it all along.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I hate when there's a record you've never seen before,
    and it looks like it will be great, so you buy it.

And it sucks.

And after that, you start seeing it EVERYWHERE. To the point
    where you start thinking maybe you had been seeing it all along.

this happens to me sometimes. luckily usually the copy i get is the cheapest i see though.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    we put reissues with the other pressings well, becuase our store is organized by genre...and a record goes where it belongs...a "reissue" or "current reissue" section is dumb, really dumb mainly because most timmy dig a lots think just becasue it is old it is original, not knowing that that Marvin Gaye LP is actually a second or third press...I find that folks that scoff at "reissues" and that are only after OGs(or what they think are OG) are some silly dudes...just flip past that reissue G, it aint hurtin anyone...

Mixing the two bugs me, I mean obviously I deal with it if that's how a shop is organized. Put I prefer
    shops that have a "new" and a "used" section. Saves me time. But that's just me.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    The undermedicated prozac dealer.

The bad breath dealer.

The drum break talk stranger. ("that has a break" and its steve miller bands take the money and run)

That was one of my favorite verses from Broken Language.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    broken headphones / needles at the listening station.

finding out your 4 days late for a huge drop off.

Seeing several like minded djs or dealers at the same spot at the same time.

Having things in your hold pile vanish (you only make that mistake once, hopefully)

Getting home and realizing you put something back with your rejects that definitely wasn't a reject. FUCK, I hate that. Where is that one ?!!? Lesson learned on that one too.

getting too drunk and excited when you get home and taking it for a turn in the skating rink.

Just kidding.

asking about something you've been looking for only to find out they sold one yesterday.

At shows having someone trying to grab something ahead of you in the box your looking at, or something you may have just passed. I have employed the technique of extending my left arm all the way out to the end of the box, holding the edge, while flipping with my right hand to prevent grubbing. There is barely 2"s of lift space for both people to my right and left, which gives me the opportunity to use elbows or nasty looks to keep them at a distance.

I have employed the technique of extending my left arm all the way out to the end of the box, holding the edge, while flipping with my right hand to prevent grubbing. There is barely 2"s of lift space for both people to my right and left, which gives me the opportunity to use elbows or nasty looks to keep them at a distance.

Nice technique, I think that's gonna be my new crate style.
    I had to tell a crusty to get out of my row twice at a show last Saturday.
    Dude started from the back of my row, and I'm like "You can have this row when I'm done"
    and dude kept flipping, "Seriously guy don't do that." I guess he could tell I was pissed so he quit.
    I have no patience for that, it's just plain rude.
    I know it's close quarters at a show, but c'mon.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Store owners who are scared to sell to you.

Especially when they call you a "capitalist" even though you've never sold anything you've bought from their store.

oh lord, I could go off about this. Years ago, when I first started really getting into it, a store owner let me loose in the back room that was basically untouched for some years. A lot of things were torn up and moldy from sitting in the warehouse for ever. I bought like 150 records for $300, there was a good amount of random rap stuff, a few copies of some Bumrush 12's and some things on Blunted were most mentionable. I didn't even know about most the stuff when I got it.

I still have most of it and never sold the valuable things I found because I wanted to keep them. Long story short, the few times I went back the dude accused me of getting away with high way robbery for that one time and trying to triple price me on new things from the back that he put out once or twice a year. We finally got back into the back room years later and figured we would never be able to give the guy what he thought it was worth no matter how up front and honest we were about selling them, their condition and running our business. It was comforting knowing that I didn't leave much behind.

I have employed the technique of extending my left arm all the way out to the end of the box, holding the edge, while flipping with my right hand to prevent grubbing. There is barely 2"s of lift space for both people to my right and left, which gives me the opportunity to use elbows or nasty looks to keep them at a distance.

Nice technique, I think that's gonna be my new crate style.

I learned that from someone here or on the Derm, TwoPly I think maybe even.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Records, the food source of the future.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    - when some idot is hogging the listening station with ONE (1) pink floyd record and notices that you have a nice handfull. GET THE F*CKING CD DOOOD!!!

along those same lines:

when some idiot is hogging the listening station with ONE dance music 12" (or more!!!) and doesn't notice that there are others waiting. dance DJ's are the worst, because it takes them a long time to needle-drop a record...they have to play AN ENTIRE Frickin' SIDE before the get the gist of what the damned thing sounds like. Can't they tell where the song is going without holding up the line?

BTW, this doesnt happen with people who listen to other kinds of music, it only seems to happen with dance-music DJ's (and sometimes jazz fans). if it's anybody else, you know they'll be in and out. but if it's somebody with a 12" single, you can bet that hell be at that turntable for an ETERNITY.

Wow u must really hate DJs! I think u r way off here. Lps have ten tracks or more to go thru while 12"s have two at most and u can tell right away usually if its any good or not.

- when some idot is hogging the listening station with ONE (1) pink floyd record and notices that you have a nice handfull. GET THE F*CKING CD DOOOD!!!

along those same lines:

when some idiot is hogging the listening station with ONE dance music 12" (or more!!!) and doesn't notice that there are others waiting. dance DJ's are the worst, because it takes them a long time to needle-drop a record...they have to play AN ENTIRE Frickin' SIDE before the get the gist of what the damned thing sounds like. Can't they tell where the song is going without holding up the line?

BTW, this doesnt happen with people who listen to other kinds of music, it only seems to happen with dance-music DJ's (and sometimes jazz fans). if it's anybody else, you know they'll be in and out. but if it's somebody with a 12" single, you can bet that hell be at that turntable for an ETERNITY.

Wow u must really hate DJs! I think u r way off here. Lps have ten tracks or more to go thru while 12"s have two at most and u can tell right away usually if its any good or not.

No, I've noticed this too, house dj's have to listen to the entire track, they can't just needle
    drop it real quick to see if they like it or not.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

along those same lines:

Heh, heh! No, I don't hate DJ's, specially since I DJ myself (45's and LP's, though). But with God as my witness, I have seen this happen! Those club DJ's - at least the ones I've seen - DO NOT know how to do the random needle swipe! Some cat will be LISTENING to that joker intently, just STUDYING it from front to back, rather than merely auditioning. And he ain't even paid for it yet! In the meantime, there are two or three other people in the building waiting their turn...

At least now stores have brought back the listening station. When I used to work in a record store fifteen years ago, the only turntable was the one behind the counter. It could be a busy Saturday, yet when you saw them dance-music DJ's approaching the counter, even if they only asked to hear one song on one side, you just knew they were gonna be there a WHILE, you know? I can respect it if they're gonna drop some dough - and usually they do - but DAMN...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

I have employed the technique of slapping encroaching hands, threatening to break fingers, presenting the option to fight for the right to look thru the crate solo & i look nasty[/b] to keep them at a distance.

I learned that from Ray Miller[/b].

• re issues mixed in with the original pressings.....

"Hi, welcome to Rasputins. Hope you're looking for Scorpio bootlegs! Lol. You must deal"

That place is str8 sux0r.

ha. but yo honestly, I've been buying a lot of re-issues from all there stores lately. I'm hanging up my "raer" search for some of the titles especially when I see 'em for like 7.99 .plus lord knows I don't want to sample no 128kbps MP3.

My Pet Peave:

And this happens at places like the Groove Merchant, Amoeba etc when motherfuckers look at a row of records in the bin and leave 'em leaning forward. I have this slight OCD where I have to push them back. It makes the place look sloppy and I feel like the records are dishing

My Pet Peave:

And this happens at places like the Groove Merchant, Amoeba etc when motherfuckers look at a row of records in the bin and leave 'em leaning forward. I have this slight OCD where I have to push them back. It makes the place look sloppy and I feel like the records are dishing

That bothers me too.
    There is this one shitty spot in town that never has jack, but I keep going
    back to cause I found a Joe Quarterman there.
    They have these racks that are nearly impossble to keep the records from falling
    forward, it's like they are backwards or something.
    Oh the problems of the world today.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

My Pet Peave:

That bothers me too.
    There is this one shitty spot in town that never has jack, but I keep going
    back to cause I found a Joe Quarterman there.
    They have these racks that are nearly impossble to keep the records from falling
    forward, it's like they are backwards or something.
    Oh the problems of the world today.

It bugs me when records are stacked in an obviously unhealthy way by clerks who don't know how to care for them. They're just waiting to be knocked over and killed.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    re issues mixed in with the original pressings.....

"Hi, welcome to Rasputins. Hope you're looking for Scorpio bootlegs! Lol. You must deal"

That place is str8 sux0r.

i used to run the one in campbell a few years back. i mainly passed on tons of crappy vinyl so i wouldn't flood the inventory with shit records. then i got a call from the owner saying i wasn't buying enough vinyl. this was after the dm told me we need better records in the bins. this was in 2003. i left in 2005. i believe i was one of the last people in the chain who had a working knowledge of what records are worth.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    I have OCD and I always try to be polite but even I don't have any record pet peeves. I guess old people at the thrift store who always have to tell me their long, drawn out stories I'm not too interested in? Even then, I try to humor them.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

agreed. i hate that shit too.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    The answer is very simple:

slogging through hundreds of records to pull something and notice on the lower back cover: Distributed by Fantasy Records, Berkeley, CA

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I have employed the technique of slapping encroaching hands, threatening to break fingers, presenting the option to fight for the right to look thru the crate solo & i look nasty[/b] to keep them at a distance.

I learned that from Ray Miller[/b].

hahaha

Getting home and realizing you put something back with your rejects that definitely wasn't a reject. FUCK, I hate that. Where is that one ?!!? Lesson learned on that one too.
    done that too many times

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i hate how whenever i start to dig, i immediately have to either take a shit or pee within 10 minutes. never fails. and i hate it.

Dude started from the back of my row, and I'm like "You can have this row when I'm done"
    and dude kept flipping, "Seriously guy don't do that." I guess he could tell I was pissed so he quit.
    I have no patience for that, it's just plain rude.
    I know it's close quarters at a show, but c'mon.

2 sides to this...
    one side:i will definitely tell someone to get the fuck out my row. i bullied a japanes dude out my row at FMU couple years back and he went into the next row away from me and grabbed esther williams for $10. DOH! karma

other side: theres a table of heat or steals at a show. everyones mobbin it. i finish a row and i'm supposed to wait for motherfuckers to poke their way through a row of 4 crates. nope. get in where you fit in.every moment is vital. every second counts.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I was in Savannah last weekend for the whole st.patrick thing. I found some stuff in this old antique shop. Here's my peeve, clerks that take 30 minutes to ring up 10 records. All 2 dollars, one missing a price tag. If all 9 are 2 bucks, what do you think the one without a price tag is going to cost?
    Wastening my damn time!

Then I go to a goodwill, all the good stuff is missing the records. Just the jackets. I found a few things. Here's my peeve. An old bag says "Well you know these are all a dollar". WOW, I thought they were 100 bucks a pop. let me put these back!!!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I was in Savannah last weekend for the whole st.patrick thing. I found some stuff in this old antigue shop. Here's my peeve, clerks that take 30 minutes to ring up 10 records. All 2 dollars, one missing a price tag. If all 9 are 2 bucks, what do you think the one without a price tag is going to cost?
    Wastening my damn time!

Then I go to a goodwill, all the good stuff is missing the records. Just the jackets. I found a few things. Here's my peeve. An old bag says "Well you know these are all a dollar". WOW, I thought they were 100 bucks a pop. let me put these back!!!

last time i went to goodwill, they're records were $2 each. i felt like it was such a rip-off.