Crate Digging Pet Peeves

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door, knocking, and then running away before I answered. I would then be free to browse at my leisure and leave cash with the rejects which could then be carted off in the night.

Isn't there a little-known web site called 'ebay' where this kind of anonymous transaction takes place?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    thrift store cover that makes your heart skip a beat - but nothing inside.

Goddamn, this happened to me a couple days ago. Some Black sitar jernt from the 70s outta Jersey.

UnGoogleable.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    - when some idot is hogging the listening station with ONE (1) pink floyd record and notices that you have a nice handfull. GET THE F*CKING CD DOOOD!!!

- when an animal comes over for attention whilst you're listening to your would-be purchases

- that guy who i assume knows nothing but he likes what you're looking at and takes it upon him delf to get shoulder to shoulder with you

• when the records are squeezed in the shelf tight so you cant flip em

when the top shelf is so high you can barely see the records youre flippin

you got a bolt inside of the shelf sticking out obstructing the flip of the records

records that are put in backwards and then some are forwards and then some are backwards and upside down

That's all part of the game! You gotta get down, dirty, and be willing to move some shit around.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - when some idot is hogging the listening station with ONE (1) pink floyd record and notices that you have a nice handfull. GET THE F*CKING CD DOOOD!!!

along those same lines:

when some idiot is hogging the listening station with ONE dance music 12" (or more!!!) and doesn't notice that there are others waiting. dance DJ's are the worst, because it takes them a long time to needle-drop a record...they have to play AN ENTIRE Frickin' SIDE before the get the gist of what the damned thing sounds like. Can't they tell where the song is going without holding up the line?

BTW, this doesnt happen with people who listen to other kinds of music, it only seems to happen with dance-music DJ's (and sometimes jazz fans). if it's anybody else, you know they'll be in and out. but if it's somebody with a 12" single, you can bet that hell be at that turntable for an ETERNITY.

Going to one of these newer thrift stores where 45's are now $2 simply because they're 45's. They could be scratchy and sleeveless copies of common Donna Summer singles, but they're still two dollars. Bogus.

(And I'm talkin' thrift stores, not used record stores.)

HMM. thrift stores have 45's? Most around here don't

Where I live they still exist, but like I said, there are newer thrifts opening up in the black neighborhoods that can't decide whether they want to be a Salvation Army or a sophisticated antique shop. And the antique aspect wouldn't be so bad if the singles were sleeved and in decent shape, but instead they're unsleeved and scratchy and should be cheaper than they are. And sure enough, they're run by would-be Fred Sanfords who figure that old=collectible, no matter how common it is.

and the ones that do...expect alot of mold and warps.

goes with the territory, but i see how that can be frustrating

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Brazilian plastic inner sleeves.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door...
    I wouldn't want strangers anywhere near my front door...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Goddamn, this happened to me a couple days ago. Some Black sitar jernt from the 70s outta Jersey.

UnGoogleable.

for a few years it seemed like there must have been a dude going around taking just the record out of every amazing-looking sleeve at every thrift. either that or they were just sticking around because nobody wants just a sleeve.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door...
    I wouldn't want strangers anywhere
    near my front door...

Couldn't they drop them off at your guard station then?

my pet peeve is the term "crate digging" or just plain "digging"

I like it, 'cause it doesn't sound as nerdy as "record collecting."

my pet peeve is the term "crate digging" or just plain "digging"

I like it, 'cause it doesn't sound as nerdy as "record collecting."

No, it actually sounds NERDIER.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door, knocking, and then running away before I answered. I would then be free to browse at my leisure and leave cash with the rejects which could then be carted off in the night.

Isn't there a little-known web site called 'ebay' where this kind of anonymous transaction takes place?

I think he still want to dig, just not deal with people. Even going through crap record can be fun just for the dumb pictures and funny things on the cover. I really enjoy that time in history where every freakin record had the bands sings under thier pictures.

I've also found that other like-minded shut-ins can make the eBay experience costly and difficult at times.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    FM 105.3

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    If you could disappear one album from the earth.. which would it be?

Since no one else is going to answer this pressing question.. I personally would eliminate the entire Firestone X-Mas series, followed closely by Mantovani.

my vote would be any Auther Fiedler 'boston pops' record

• I'm sorry.. what were you guys saying?

UnGoogleable.

for a few years it seemed like there must have been a dude going around taking just the record out of every amazing-looking sleeve at every thrift. either that or they were just sticking around because nobody wants just a sleeve.

Even worse: classic vinyl WITHOUT THE COVER...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Going to a thrift and hearing "Some guy just came through and bought them all."

Who goes into a thrift and buys every goddamn record?

Who does this? This means in addtion to that one Pickwick Elvis the purchaser also had to take every goddamn herb alpert, gino vanelli, ray coniff, andy williams, glen miller, jerry vale, streisand, captian & tenille, dr zhivago, firestone xmas, xian beehive boner in the place? Can you imagine having to take all those into your house? ewww.

Peat peave records:

Bobby Goldsboro - little f#ckin elf bastard with makeup on
    Emo Phillips - I want to punch this f#cker in his pasty white face
    Jerry Vale - the one where he's holding the cigarette with his hands in the air

ok. there's a lot more but ok.

Who does this? This means in addtion to that one Pickwick Elvis the purchaser also had to take every goddamn herb alpert, gino vanelli, ray coniff, andy williams, glen miller, jerry vale, streisand, captian & tenille, dr zhivago, firestone xmas, xian beehive boner in the place? Can you imagine having to take all those into your house? ewww.

I have actually seen it happen with my own eyes TWICE and I'm still no closer to understanding.

• Going to a thrift and hearing "Some guy just came through and bought them all."

I have actually seen it happen with my own eyes TWICE and I'm still no closer to understanding.

Records, the energy source of the future.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

i've had a thrift store owner tell me "this guy who was a DJ dropped off his whole collection here last week"

"but a guy bought the whole lot this morning"

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Records, the energy source of the future.

i've heard that

can heat a whole house for 3 months

i've had a thrift store owner tell me "this guy who was a DJ dropped off his whole collection here last week"

"but a guy bought the whole lot this morning"

Yes, I have purchased whole boxes of newly arrived records at thrifts shops... this however was not the case on the afore witnessed occasions. These were bins of records that had been sitting so long I felt I knew them personally. A particularly moldy Andy Williams lp that studded the terrain serving as a landmark, etc.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

The Jingle Bells and Silent Nights are getting annoying.
    How bout yall?

I have the "Jingle Bells" 12", without the bells, yo!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    re issues mixed in with the original pressings.....

as if you couldn't tell the difference 9 times out of 10?

That 10th one irritates the shit out of me though - now that some of those exact boots are 10+ years old sometimes the sleeves are worn and everything...

Also irritating when they're both in plastic sleeves--may have to actually pull it out of the sleeve to tell for sure, which costs time.

Most irritating: reissue inside aged plastic sleeve.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Most irritating: reissue inside aged plastic sleeve.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I hate when you buy that one record that a few of the shop clerks have been eyeing but were too broke ass to buy it themselves. Take it to the counter and all you hear is "man buy all those others and leave this one hear", or "some random strange customer grabs that same record and pulls it out of the sleeve and looks at it while you're paying for it". Bitch go find your own copy somewhere back in those shitty crates tucked under the new wave section!!!! This one is going home with me.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Art Project/Party Decoration/Insurance Scam/Ironic Store Display