Coffee-Strut: Starbucks quaffs Clover

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Not surprising but kind of a bummer: http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/pressdesc.asp?id=848How long until cafes start crowing, "we only brew pre-Starbucks Clover coffee!"?

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Starbucks has ruined coffee culture. I miss the days when a cafe was full of artists, musicians, and poets. Now it's cranky yuppies in a hurry.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I wonder, does that 'half-day' they took off for training a while back connected to this?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Starbucks has ruined coffee culture. I miss the days when a cafe was full of artists, musicians, and poets. Now it's cranky yuppies in a hurry.

all the artists, musicians, and poets in my city that go to coffee shops are cranky yuppies anyways. real men drink hot sauce & antifreeze in the morning. j/k i just order to go at my little spot on 11th and hang out somewhere on the street and "reflect".

p.s.
    starbucks will give you the diabeetus

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I'm going to sit here and ride for Starbucks all day long. I live in Redneck country and fuckwads think a good cup of joe is Dunkin' Donuts or Wawa. The Starbucks 15 minutes away is my only oasis when it comes to good strong tastey coffee. Granted... it would be a lot different if I lived in a city where coffee houses are treasured. But for suburban wasteland like sellersville... Starbucks is my saviour.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Starbucks is going to try a get that Coffee house feeling back. Theyve grown too large and the head dude wants to scale back from silly-ass egg sammiches.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I'm going to sit here and ride for Starbucks all day long. I live in Redneck country and fuckwads think a good cup of joe is Dunkin' Donuts or Wawa. The Starbucks 15 minutes away is my only oasis when it comes to good strong tastey coffee. Granted... it would be a lot different if I lived in a city where coffee houses are treasured. But for suburban wasteland like sellersville... Starbucks is my saviour.

I will cosign this big time. When I lived in Seattle I cursed Starbucks existance. But when I travel across the midwest I can't wait until I hit that one truck stop on the Colorado/Kansas border that had a Starbucks. It the only good coffee for about 300 miles!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i had some of that Clover coffee once. the ritual of the girl working the machine wasn't as big a deal as i've heard described.

i guess that's cool the Clover folks got some loot.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Ehhhhhhhh................

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Starbucks = McDonalds
    Peets = Wendys

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Starbucks is going to try a get that Coffee house feeling back. Theyve grown too large and the head dude wants to scale back from silly-ass egg sammiches.

dude have you tried the turkey bacon egg muffin things? str8 delish.

Starbucks = McDonalds
    Peets = Burger King[/b]

(and yes I like Burger King.

say what you will about Starbucks but thanks to them I can get a double espresso pretty much anywhere these days. and I NEED double espressos to function.

Starbucks has ruined coffee culture. I miss the days when a cafe was full of artists, musicians, and poets.

dude did you grow up in post-war Paris or something?

coffee houses where I'm from have always been filled with hippies and college kids. not madd, just saying.

I can respect that, but any town that doesn't have a mom and pop cafe doesn't deserve to be visited.

Starbucks has ruined coffee culture. I miss the days when a cafe was full of artists, musicians, and poets.

coffee houses where I'm from have always been filled with hippies and college kids. not madd, just saying.

Post WW1?

How old are you? I'm talking about the 80's.

BTW: I used to manage a Starbucks so I am bitter about the way they ran my stock into the ground. Seeing the mistakes from the inside.

How old are you? I'm talking about the 80's.

BTW: I used to manage a Starbucks so I am bitter about the way they ran my stock into the ground.

^^^ true source of Starbucks animosity revealed!

nah I was just saying that your characterization of coffee culture sounded sorta idealistic. though I agree there is no doubt times have changed. the business people and soccer moms lined up at Starbucks are not the same relaxed crowd of folks that frequented the independent coffee houses of my youth.

and "post-war" when used today generally still means "post-WWII"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuck Coffee.

• Fuck Coffee.

Wait until it cools off first...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Fuck Coffee.

I think it's interesting that Dunkin Donuts is making a big-time power play to be seen as a coffee merchant--selling their grounds in supermarkets and pushing their lattes and whatnot. I really don't know how well that's going to work, but then again, I'm not really plugged into coffee culture because coffee is Frickin' gross.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think it's interesting that Dunkin Donuts is making a big-time power play to be seen as a coffee merchant--

Dunkin Donuts is to coffee what Wonder Bread is to bread.

I see them being massively successful.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Fuck Coffee.

I think it's interesting that Dunkin Donuts is making a big-time power play to be seen as a coffee merchant--selling their grounds in supermarkets and pushing their lattes and whatnot. I really don't know how well that's going to work, but then again, I'm not really plugged into coffee culture because coffee is Frickin' gross.

dont like to be one to drank the haterade but I have no love for dunkin donutes. its fuckin brown water. I had to refuse an ice coffe one time cause that shit was close to clear water. It has no strength, no taste, yet I get out of the fuckin train and there is a line out the door here on wall street. i think its all the country folk coming across the river. I am baffled. But at the same time my sister lives in farm land Pennsylvania where the only remote coffee destination is a dunkin donuts. So I guess if your accustomed to drink it then it aint no thing. Another subject has to be the price of coffee. from starbucks to local shops. They are smoking the good shit. 2.50 for coffee? This and bottled water has to be the biggest fuckin scam in the universe. Ah maybe im old and bitter, maybe its both. Ah well its Pseudo-Friday (thursday with no work on fri) and i cant wait to have a nice cold one after work. PEACE!

i cant wait to have a nice cold one after work. PEACE!

i'm with you on that [hulk voice]bru-thuuuuuuur![/hulk voice]

and "post-war" when used today generally still means "post-WWII"

I asked because the art scene was dead in post war Paris.

cause my grandfather and the rest of his squadron stole all the artwork that's now hanging up in his house today hahahahahaha!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Though I have eaten at McDonald's, I've never had a Starbucks coffee.

I used to base the demise of a neighbourhood on whether a Starbucks was moving in, but now I might have to amend that to "and/or American Apparel".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    cause my grandfather and the rest of his squadron stole all the artwork that's now hanging up in his house today hahahahahaha!

Um...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I might be going out on a limb here but I think Starbucks probably has done more - for better or for worse - to spread coffee culture in America (or possibly, globally) than any other contemporary force. I mean, when I was growing up, me and my friends in high school never talked about, "yo, let's go grab a cup of coffee." Starbucks has changed how people think about coffee and their drinking habits around it - this is all easily seen in economics and social science research.

And in that respect, the popularity of Starbucks has, in an ironic way, benefitted a lot of mom and pop cafes who probably wouldn't have been successful pre-Starbucks simply b/c Americans didn't care about coffee in the same way then.

Of course, Starbucks can also put a hurting on existing small cafes so you gain a little, lose a little.

They've done quite a bit for the farmers, but how they helped the culture here is debatable. It depends on what a helped culture looks like in ones opinion. They have made it mainstream and accessible, so I don't disagree if that's all we're talking about. You could also say they've stolen from, and bastardized the culture in order to make it more accessible.

There is so much misinformation internally at that company. They tell their employees that Howard Schultz brought the coffee bar to America from Europe. That's just not true.