good boogaloo lp's (& 45's)

13»

Comments

• No, but I'd like to know more about Garcia himself. The record I have by him is a 1973 single on UA ("Que Pasa"), where he's into a Santana/El Chicano-ish Latin/funk/rock whatchamacallit. But he did this weird record called "Prescription Rock & Roll" that wasn't boogaloo (or related) at all!!!

So where do you folks place Malo into this? latin rock or boogaloo?

Latin-rock! And even though I didn't start this thread, I personally consider bands like Malo and El Chicano to be different from boogaloo (even though there are similarities)! Only reason I went there in the first place is because Rulie Garcia was brought up...while he evidently has recorded some boogaloo earlier on, I partially know him from this Latin-rock 45 I have.

• Latin-rock! And even though I didn't start this thread, I personally consider bands like Malo and El Chicano to be different from boogaloo (even though there are similarities)! Only reason I went there in the first place is because Rulie Garcia was brought up...while he evidently has recorded some boogaloo earlier on, I partially know him from this Latin-rock 45 I have.

I didn't really know anything about him before. Just did a google search and found this tidbid from the one funky16corners:
    "The Brown Brothers of Soul were the work of one Rulie Garcia aka Johnny Chingas, an East LA artist who recorded a grip of stuff in the late 60???s and early 70???s."

I wouldn't say Sabrosito is 100 percent proper boogaloo but it's close enough. Boogaloo L.A. style I guess.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What do you think of this cut, pickwick--it's Machito doing "Green Onions," RCA 1968:

• What do you think of this cut, pickwick--it's Machito doing "Green Onions," RCA 1968:

Not bad. I think it's very slick, stiff and Austin Powers-ish, but I still think it's pretty good for what it is.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    damn fine lp

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    damn fine lp

Word? I feel like I"ve heard clips from it that were kind of "eh". You got any sound files for this one, just to peep?

• Yeah I remember that Rolando Laserie sucking pretty bad. His records in general are pretty meh, he cut a shit load too, so I guess someone must've loved him.

• the scorpion - lou donaldson (live at the key clib)

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    damn fine lp

Word? I feel like I"ve heard clips from it that were kind of "eh". You got any sound files for this one, just to peep?

shit, come to think of it as i listen right to it, its kinda a one tracker

yo bailo boogaloo is the stand out track for me, im pretty fond of that "swing" sound

rolando laserie - yo bailo boogaloo

here are some of my faves

carlos campos - shake it boogaloo

carlos hayre - me gusta boogaloo

los melodicos - les cornichons

joey pastrana - afro azul

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hey Rey, is that Funky Mama by La New Yorkers the Lou Donaldson/John Patton song?

It's not. There's a lot of "Funky Mama", "Fat Mama", etc. type songs in the boogaloo canon. This one, according to LP credits, was written by one of the Lebron brothers.

• It's not. There's a lot of "Funky Mama", "Fat Mama", etc. type songs in the boogaloo canon. This one, according to LP credits, was written by one of the Lebron brothers.

i think willie colon even had a "skinny papa"

• Latin-rock! And even though I didn't start this thread, I personally consider bands like Malo and El Chicano to be different from boogaloo (even though there are similarities)! Only reason I went there in the first place is because Rulie Garcia was brought up...while he evidently has recorded some boogaloo earlier on, I partially know him from this Latin-rock 45 I have.

I didn't really know anything about him before. Just did a google search and found this tidbid from the one funky16corners:
    "The Brown Brothers of Soul were the work of one Rulie Garcia aka Johnny Chingas, an East LA artist who recorded a grip of stuff in the late 60???s and early 70???s."

I wouldn't say Sabrosito is 100 percent proper boogaloo but it's close enough. Boogaloo L.A. style I guess.

i classify it as sunday bbq music

It's not. There's a lot of "Funky Mama", "Fat Mama", etc. type songs in the boogaloo canon. This one, according to LP credits, was written by one of the Lebron brothers.

i think willie colon even had a "skinny papa"

Indeed. I'm assuming that was a riff on Tito Puente's "Fat Mama."

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

shit, come to think of it as i listen right to it, its kinda a one tracker

yo bailo boogaloo is the stand out track for me, im pretty fond of that "swing" sound

rolando laserie - yo bailo boogaloo

here are some of my faves

carlos campos - shake it boogaloo

carlos hayre - me gusta boogaloo

los melodicos - les cornichons

joey pastrana - afro azul

Thanks for posting those. Love that Carlos Hayre.
    But Laserrie is terdly!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    What do you think of this cut, pickwick--it's Machito doing "Green Onions," RCA 1968:

Not bad. I think it's very slick, stiff and Austin Powers-ish, but I still think it's pretty good for what it is.

But you purged all your Lou Donaldson tacky fonk?

• What do you think of this cut, pickwick--it's Machito doing "Green Onions," RCA 1968:

Tacky funk or not, Lou Donaldson is cool with me.

(Although he did kinda lose it somewhere between 1973's Sassy Soul Strut and that disco album he had out on Cotillion, but that's not here nor there)

• Back to boogaloo:

The Lat-Teens!

Three albums (that I know of) on Cotique, all driven by this tuff Curtis Mayfield-ish rhythm guitar...these teenagers fully understood what Latin and black music had in common...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I MEANT REYNALDINITO TRIGGER!

• I MEANT REYNALDINITO TRIGGER!

my fault! but you quoted my reply, so i thought that was addressed to me, sorry

Back to boogaloo:

The Lat-Teens!

Three albums (that I know of) on Cotique, all driven by this tuff Curtis Mayfield-ish rhythm guitar...these teenagers fully understood what Latin and black music had in common...

I think their first album is excellent but their second, "Buena gente" is surprisingly uninteresting to me (and alas, it shows up so much more often). I've never been big on "Fuego" either.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I wonder if Francislippy went and purchased some good boogaloo lp's (or 45's) yet?

• I wonder if Francislippy went and purchased some good boogaloo lp's (or 45's) yet?

yeah, he should have a pretty good sized shopping list by now

and hopefully he understands what this music IS, because he was dismissing stuff that is right in the groove (ricardo ray, corny???)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    He hates music

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I don't own that Machito album or particularly like that track (I dl'd it off a blog)--I was just wondering if pickwick would. I still heartily reject tacky fonk.