New music - CD vs Vinyl

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
so i went and picked up the new pete rock album the other day. i stood there pondering what format i should buy it in - cd or vinyl. opted for cd. i figured with the vinyl i would just make a cd of it to play in the ride or load into the laptop to seratofy it and then the vinyl would just be thrown on the shelve never to be spun again. this is a far cry from the days when i would be at tower the morning that "hard to earn" or something comes out to buy 2 on vinyl and one on cassette. are cats still picking up vinyl of new releases or cd? or maybe you just download the whole joint... or ?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Vinyl. If nothing else, with the small pressings the resale value of anything musically worthwhile or that sells out quickly is going to be pretty big.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    8 track.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    several smart labels are including mp3 cds in vinyl releases. shit like that is the move if you want people to actually still buy your shit.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    several smart labels are including mp3 cds in vinyl releases. shit like that is the move if you want people to actually still buy your shit.

that would have been ideal! what labels are doing this?

not like its gonna be a classic but i would prefer to have the vinyl but not spend the money on both...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The only new release stuff I buy is on vinyl.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

The new wired magazine has a fascinating article on the implications of FREE. Google, Myspace, Youtube, some of the internets largest companies all give away free stuff.

Now that the Music industry is swirling down the toilet, NIN and Radiohead are experimeting with the implications of Free. Even 20th Century Fox is jumping in letting people watch there movies for free with Hulu.com

It's an interesting time to see where this is going to lead.

Personally I'm good with people giving mp3's away. As long as they offer a valid product for people who indeed want to pay for it. I bootlegged the new Portishead, but I am definitely buying the vinyl.

The price of art needs to be re-evaluated.

- spidey

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I prefer to buy new stuff on vinyl...the exception is reissues/comps, for some reason I prefer to have those on CD.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I prefer to buy new stuff on vinyl...the exception is reissues/comps, for some reason I prefer to have those on CD.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-SIGN this is exactly what i do. i think its mostly because i like having re-issues and comps, but i dont like having them in with my original pressings. it might be stupid but thats just how i like it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

and not a second too soon either...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

this is a great move.. I bought the new Quantic Soul Orchestra LP and the CD was inside the vinyl sleeve in a little plastic sleeve , simple enough and it lets you instantly add the music to your ipod or whatever digital method you prefer. I doubt it is too much more expensive for a label to incorporate that system into all of their new releases.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

this is a great move.. I bought the new Quantic Soul Orchestra LP and the CD was inside the vinyl sleeve in a little plastic sleeve , simple enough and it lets you instantly add the music to your ipod or whatever digital method you prefer. I doubt it is too much more expensive for a label to incorporate that system into all of their new releases.

That's a really clever idea. I often opt for the cd becuase I can listen to it in the ride even tho I prefer to have the vinyl pressing. Cds can't be more than a few pennies and I would glady pay another dollar or so for new vinyl to include a cd pressing inside.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

The new wired magazine has a fascinating article on the implications of FREE. Google, Myspace, Youtube, some of the internets largest companies all give away free stuff.

Now that the Music industry is swirling down the toilet, NIN and Radiohead are experimeting with the implications of Free. Even 20th Century Fox is jumping in letting people watch there movies for free with Hulu.com

It's an interesting time to see where this is going to lead.

Personally I'm good with people giving mp3's away. As long as they offer a valid product for people who indeed want to pay for it. I bootlegged the new Portishead, but I am definitely buying the vinyl.

- spidey

here's a perfect example...the P flash drive comes with the entire album (although this is in semi-limited quantity)

Portishead Box Set

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

It depends on the genre and artist.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    With new music im finding that im downloading a copy to see if i want to buy it. Most of the time i do and im more inclined to go with vinyl for better sound quality. Plus i already have a digital copy for work and the car even if its not that great qualitiy. I recently re- discovered how good my sound system sounds with that warm vinyl sound.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    vinyl ...if theres only one or two tracks that are good and I want to support that artist then it's ITUNES... for 1 or 2 bucks you have the song in 320kbps within minutes...

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    i thought itunes bit rate was really shitty? They doing 320 now?

it depends....I should of specified,when I say Itunes I mean that kind of system where you download track per track off the internet ... there are sites like "turn table lab .com" that provide 320kbps or even .wav so that's extremely usefull and saves you a lot of time and all. And I've seen labels actually sell the music at high bit rates straight off their sites, like Defected records and others....
    By the way,There's some kind of glitch on this forum...whenever you enter t u r n t a b l e l a b . c o m , it automatically changes it to labcabin...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    There's some kind of glitch on this forum...whenever you enter t u r n t a b l e l a b . c o m , it automatically changes it to labcabin...

turntable[/b]lab.com[/b]

hmmm. Works for me. I think you might have the labcabin.exe virus. It was going around awhile back.

Damn,I thought I was immune to that ish with Mac...

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    There's some kind of glitch on this forum...whenever you enter t u r n t a b l e l a b . c o m , it automatically changes it to labcabin...

turntable[/b]lab.com[/b]

hmmm. Works for me. I think you might have the labcabin.exe virus. It was going around awhile back.

• several smart labels are including mp3 cds in vinyl releases. shit like that is the move if you want people to actually still buy your shit.

That's a really clever idea. I often opt for the cd becuase I can listen to it in the ride even tho I prefer to have the vinyl pressing. Cds can't be more than a few pennies and I would glady pay another dollar or so for new vinyl to include a cd pressing inside.

IMO there's a realyy easy way which would attract people to buy more vinyl. the labels have simply to add a code or something into the record sleeve and with that code you can download the release on their website.
    that doesn??t cost the record labels anything at all!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    it just seems wrong to buy the new Pete Rock isht on CD....

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

The only thing I'll buy in any format other than vynil is DJ mix CDs.

The only mp3s I own are of people's mixes, always downloaded for free - I'd never pay actual MONEY for an mp3.

Buying music on CD or mp3 is for pussys LOL

• The only thing I'll buy in any format other than vynil is DJ mix CDs.

The only mp3s I own are of people's mixes, always downloaded for free - I'd never pay actual MONEY for an mp3.

...it might sound a bit rough but you are right...

it just seems wrong to buy the new Pete Rock isht on CD....

i hear you and it felt wrong, hence the post. but really it would just go on the shelve and the only use out of it i would get is to tell someone, "yeah, i got that on vinyl." and i can do that all day long as it is.

wow, a real man on soulstrut? and a damn good speller at that!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Well, that was a kind of joke post, as each to his own etc, but in my opinion if it's not worth owning on vinyl, then it's not worth owning.

I have considered that if/when I DJ mainstream gigs, then I would get all that chart crap on mp3.

If and when.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

that would have been ideal! what labels are doing this?

not like its gonna be a classic but i would prefer to have the vinyl but not spend the money on both...

4AD did something like this with the Celebration record "Modern Tribe" -- bought the vinyl w/ a sticker on the outside saying that there was a free download inside.

Pleasantly surprised to open it and find that the download ticket was actually good for THREE downloads of the album.

I thought that was a classy move; it not only recognizes the realities of digital downloading, but also sharing, and implicitly says "we know you'll share this with others, but out of respect to artist and label could you limit it to 2 other people?"

Well, that was a kind of joke post, as each to his own etc, but in my opinion if it's not worth owning on vinyl, then it's not worth owning.

I have considered that if/when I DJ mainstream gigs, then I would get all that chart crap on mp3.

If and when.

i kind of took it as kind of a joke...

i just have a ton of records and the only joy i get out of them sometimes is to say, "yeah, i got that on wax." i think next time i am faced with this dilema, i'll just pick up the wax and convert it. i'll be getting rid of a bunch of bullshit records i don't need anyway - like all the 80s stuff i bought just to spin, convert them bitches and move on leaving more space for things i'd like to own on vinyl....

and that free download with purchase of vinyl is the move.... i wish they all did that.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

4AD did something like this with the Celebration record "Modern Tribe" -- bought the vinyl w/ a sticker on the outside saying that there was a free download inside.

Pleasantly surprised to open it and find that the download ticket was actually good for THREE downloads of the album.

I thought that was a classy move; it not only recognizes the realities of digital downloading, but also sharing, and implicitly says "we know you'll share this with others, but out of respect to artist and label could you limit it to 2 other people?"

yeah, I bought the last Blonde Redhead album and it had that download sheet inside. It said something like "you only get 3 tries, so if you do it twice then only one other friend can use it." Something like that. I bought the vinyl, got the digital for my ipod, and let my girlfriend download it and she passed it on to her sister. Awesome!

I would do this for my own releases, but I am not smart enough to offer any sort of download with a 3 person restriction.

I was noticing you had a mashup record on "turn table lab . com" have you checked with them?Maybe they can digitalize it and you can forget about worrying about dealing with Itunes or whatever... Only thing is I wonder if they pay artists accordingly...