It's already the freaki'n weekend finds

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Stuff I dug up yesterday and some bits from a fair a week or so backThe Morning Sky is a certified killer, and the Ted Vining Trio is better than I thought it would be too.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hit up the clearance bins at the one spot on the way home from work last night and scored these for 99 cents a piece:
    Nina Simone "to Love Somebody"(RCA) That Weldon was quite the arranger
    Mavis Staples S/T(Volt) been playing the shit outta "Chained"...top shelf southern soul

hittin the monthly flea market tomorrow morning, hopin this one dude still has a 45 I regrettably left behind last time...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pulled this for a buck at a thrift yesterday, not anywhere near mint, still cant complain...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Kinetic,

What's up with the Coco York and the Hiroshi and Claudia?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I got a few records yesterday none today
    It seemed like it was blues day for me...

sonny boy williamson - one way out (chess)
    hound dog taylor - genuine house rocking music (alligator)
    hound dog taylor - beware of the dog - live (alligator)
    clifton chenier and his hot louisiana band (arhoolle)

got a blues 45 on primus records called
    jonhnny perry and his blues band w/ pati palin - that ain't right
    ft/ floyd (horse collar) williams on sax - horse collar

jj jackson - but it's alright/boogaloo baby (calla)
    ricardo ray - ya ya/nitty gritty (alegre)

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

2 copies of Canadian psych? Bill Bissett & The Mandan Massacre, wierd chants poetry, guitar and flute. Abstract art is Ann Southam Sky-Sails, its sealed from mid 70s back cover describes it as poetry and electronic music, anyone know it? The 7"s play at 33, they put out by the Composers, Authors, and Publishers Association of Canada with the help of RCI & CBC. All of them are different the covers fold out and have a bio and discography of each artist. Some cool experimental classical, jazz, and electronic music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

2 copies of Canadian psych? Bill Bissett & The Mandan Massacre, wierd chants poetry, guitar and flute. Abstract art is Ann Southam Sky-Sails, its sealed from mid 70s back cover describes it as poetry and electronic music, anyone know it? The 7"s play at 33, they put out by the Composers, Authors, and Publishers Association of Canada with the help of RCI & CBC. All of them are different the covers fold out and have a bio and discography of each artist. Some cool experimental classical, jazz, and electronic music.

Nice.

Bill Bissett is rare.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

Nice.

Bill Bissett is rare.

Can I get a 2 listings on popsike but both are old auctions

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Nice.

Bill Bissett is rare.

Can I get a 2 listings on popsike but both are old auctions

Freaky electronic dudes really want it. I'm sure the $300 or whatever it's on popsike for is pretty accurate.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I want ann southam. She is on the Melbourne compilation of electronic music by Canadian Composers. I have a 7" she made that came with a book of experimental poetry. It is awesome. The book too, which is an instructional guide to writing experimental peotry, written in experimental poetry. Meta. I don't own the book, though

Those CAPAC 7"s are fun, though I own about 15 there aren't many that stand out that I've heard (so far).

PM sent.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Found a Russian Melodia compilation (cunt) with a ridiculous cover of Shaft.

id post a picture but its a stock cover and ALL info is in Russian. i don't even know the name of the band.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    too lazy to take pictures..
    found these two today:

Soft Machine 2
    Knock Out Charly Antolini on Jeton

if anyone is after the antolini, i m up for trade.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    found:

NOTHING - s/t on THENTERNET

and know some red haired DJ from Stuttgart had a look at the library stack that was supposed to be mine. lurking on here? next time i see you better not pretend to look at records while i play them on the turntable. just

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Bought these today:

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

nice one!

those weren't at goodwill were they? i remember passing up on a bunch of those 45s on roncesvalles a while back.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• Nice! That Kiki Dee is cool.
    How's that Irene Reid? I only have 45s by her, and I've never seen an LP on Barry (by anyone).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Nice! That Kiki Dee is cool.
    How's that Irene Reid? I only have 45s by her, and I've never seen an LP on Barry (by anyone).

I love that Kiki Dee. Found a sealed copy on Ebay for under $10 so I pounced. semi-related but does ayone know if ehr version of "Walk On By" came out on an LP?

That Irene Reid really surprised me. She has several albums, a couple early ones on Verve, an early 70's release on Polydor and a '76 release on Glades. Before seeing this one I had no idea Barry did anything other than 45's. The album is a mostly orchestral soul affair, but there are 2 funky tracks "I Must Be Doing Something" & "We're Gonna Make It". Both of which I believe are also on 45

• Nice! That Kiki Dee is cool.

I love that Kiki Dee. Found a sealed copy on Ebay for under $10 so I pounced. semi-related but does ayone know if ehr version of "Walk On By" came out on an LP?

That Irene Redi really surprised me. I had no idea Barry did anytihng other than 45's. The album is a mostly orchestral soul affair, but there are 2 funky tracks "I Must Be Doing Something" & "We're Gonna Make It". Both of which I believe are also on 45

I think she (Reid) just passed away a few months ago.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Before seeing this one I had no idea Barry did anything other than 45's.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is that the same Barry label though?
    Irene reid is #1001
    Hector Rivera is #101

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

congrats. ive been looking for that one forevar! i know 'butterfly' is the 'tough' one, but this one seems just as scarce to me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    is that the same Barry label though?
    Irene reid is #1001
    Hector Rivera is #101

Yeah, it's the same. All label designs are the same,
    etc, the Rivera 45's are on the same label, I'm surprised
    you haven't run across one, "At the Party" on 45 was something
    of a hit - not quite as ubiquitous as Joe Cuba "Bang Bang" but
    still pretty popular.

The fact that both records have first-on-the-label-style catalog #'s
    makes me think they really might be the only 2 LP's Barry put out.

They SHOULD have put out a Thelma Jones LP

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The fact that both records have first-on-the-label-style catalog #'s
    makes me think they really might be the only 2 LP's Barry put out.

They SHOULD have put out a Thelma Jones LP

No kidding. Her version of "the House that Jack Built" is

Karlophone:[/b] I don't know what coast youre on this week, but if its LAthe place where I got that blowfly had an unplayed "Disco" Blowfly and the "Oldies But Goodies" LP.

Hollarate on the PM if you're looking for either one

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    only scooped a couple things today...as my search for Aretha Franklin's "One Room Paradise" on 45 has proved fruitless, I grabbed a mono copy of the LP with that tune on it, "Runnin out of Fools"....

also, years ago BGP released a 45 of a "previous unreleased" Rufus Thomas tune called "Funky Hot Grits", and as most things called "previously unreleased" they usually are found to have a legit release...I found a Rufus Thomas LP called "If There Was No Music" on AVI from 1977, which features said song...most of the tunes seem of earlier vintage than 1977...was unaware of this LP until I found it...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Kinetic,

What's up with the Coco York and the Hiroshi and Claudia?

The Coco York is pretty cool modern vocal jazz kinda stuff. Serge Ermoll was a pretty prolific Australian arranger and he did this album when she wasmover here - I think it's the only thing she recorded in Australia, as she's an American artist.

The Hiroshi and Claudia LP is insane. There's a track on it called 'Beats in the depth' and it has beats. There's some really sparse and dark jazz number too that is dope. It's a Japanese record, buty it was recorded in both Sydney and Tokyo and then only pressed on this tiny private label in Sydney.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• What do you think of that Graham Kendrick? I snagged it in Alabama a while back. Looked like it might have some promise, but never quite won me over.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i cant remember the last time i bought a record. hopefully summer will bring some heat my way, this town is officially DRY. i havent seen a record i wanted forever.

plus ive been spending my money elsewhere, im picking all of these up tomorrow for $425 total (probably less, actually):

IMG src=http://images.craigslist.org/01021001030701160320080315e0da5a794019ae837b003c5c.jpg>
    IMG src=http://images.craigslist.org/01150001020601161220080315f9bb51ca4d10d869d8008700.jpg>

lets just say im gonna come out of this much more than "even".

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts

Yo - what's the Radio Trax like? Produced here in NZ right? There are some copies flating around... but they're going for coin.

Been quiet last few weeks... just one pull - mint copy though