Is Noz cosigning this foolishness?

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Underground and Independent Rap by Zachary "tha" Scribe I found it through a link on his site.Perhaps "Zachary Scribe" is, in fact, one of the boy's aliases?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So it's foolishness just because it merely exists? Or have you actually read it?

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    I don't know about you, but I tend to gravitate toward books where each chapter is typeset in a different font. Especially when one of them is MS Calligraphy.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Or have you actually read it?

You must have it twitted.

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION NOZ???S TRENDSETTING?

#2 REVIEWING RECORDS THAT I DONT ALWAYS HEAR

Can't see how this wouldn't apply to books.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So it's foolishness just because it merely exists? Or have you actually read it?

Of course I haven't read it.

Any book with that title is obviously pure foolishness--"Underground Rap" is not a meaningful term in 2008. It's like writing a book that purports to be about "rap".

Feel free to be ass-hurt, though.

• It's a paid-for advertisement.

I have not read the book.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I don't know about you, but I tend to gravitate toward books where each chapter is typeset in a different font. Especially when one of them is MS Calligraphy.

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!! this just blew my mind. jesus! what the fuck?! seriously who laid out this book! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a paid-for advertisement.

I have not read the book.

^^^^ACCEPTS BLOOD MONEY

b/w

I CALL FOR A DENUNCIATION

Of course I haven't read it.

Any book with that title is obviously pure foolishness--"Underground Rap" is not a meaningful term in 2008. It's like writing a book that purports to be about "rap".

Feel free to be ass-hurt, though.

Okay, I just looked at the TOC and skimmed the introduction.

It's far worse than I had imagined.

Dude is the Kenneth Eng of rap writing.

Chapter 21: Sado-Rap

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Horrible horrible eyesore

B/W

The first line of the introduction reads, "I've read a few books since obtaining literacy at the age of six. Some of these tomes have concerned hiphop music, though most have not, which has proved beneficial."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    We need to find a new avatar for Faux Rillz.

A citation of "underground rap" is all you need to go into full-on hating mode?

Mind you, if the book is actually bad...I will be right there with you degrading it.

But this whole I-start-from-the-position-of-hate-and-only-move-way-from-it-as-you-incrementally-impress-me is a sickness that I simply cannot cosign.

It should be enough for anyone, but if it's not enough for you, I suggest browsing the portions of the book available on the website.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I was sold on this book after only reading the table of contents:

Chapter Octagon: The Praxis of Indie Rap in Online Postmodernist Relativity

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Oh no, does he get all heteronormative on that ass in that chapter?

It should be enough for anyone, but if it's not enough for you, I suggest browsing the portions of the book available on the website.

Okay, my permission has been granted to hate away...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Chapter Octagon[/b]

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    yeah more like sold by LOLZ MARKETPLACE
    it got those same fonts as In Search of Goodpussy and the Zane series

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

That makes no sense at all. Praxis is the real-world implementation of a theory or ideology. From what I understand, "indie rap" is neither a theory nor an ideology. Don't get me started on the rest of that phrase.

People should stick to using words they understand.

b/w

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am at a loss for words. I wish the author had been, too.

The first line of the introduction and the first paragraph of Chapter Five...holy shit. I need some VapoRub under my nose to kill the smell.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Right up there with this gem:

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

"...I was listening to Shockadoom, which I first heard as a third-generation dub four years before it's actual release."

Zachary Scribe = Harvey Canal?

That table of contents is all I need to see. The bad font, the corny-ass chapter numbering system.

Is this guy a former member of the Dream Warriors or something?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Even the author does not think it's that necessary to actually read anything you wish to speak on...or bite, from Chapter Five: The Fellowship of the Mic

"Now, I intended to just write at length about F.F., rambling in my best imitation of what I imagine to be Lester Bangs' style - I've read a bit about Bangs but nothing by him..."

Even the author does not think it's that necessary to actually read anything you wish to speak on...or bite, from Chapter Five: The Fellowship of the Mic

"Now, I intended to just write at length about F.F., rambling in my best imitation of what I imagine to be Lester Bangs' style - I've read a bit about Bangs but nothing by him..."

Two and a half stars.

"...I was listening to Shockadoom, which I first heard as a third-generation dub four years before it's actual release."

Zachary Scribe = Harvey Canal?

Not sure why you think that would fit the description of me.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    just sounds like some Blowed related foolishness that would come from you. plus the dude dedicated a chapter to FF.

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...yada yada, I'm kidding anyways

just sounds like some Blowed related foolishness that would come from you. plus the dude dedicated a chapter to FF.

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...yada yada, I'm kidding anyways

I've been trying to tell y'all for the longest that there is a marked difference between those down with the Good Life circa '94 and those down with internet tape-trading of Blowed material circa '98.

Two and a half stars.

Quietly schitting on the world of publishing.

Two and a half stars.

Speaking of publishing, who put this book out? Are we certain that it's not something dude banged up at Kinko's and hustled out of his house?

I don't want to look at the Amazon listing for fear of being pulled into the vortex.