Melodyne: Direct Note Access (facemelt related)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Direct Note Access is a technology that makes the impossible possible: for the first time in audio recording history you can identify and edit individual notes within polyphonic audio material. The unique access that Melodyne affords to pitch, timing, note lengths and other parameters of melodic notes will now also be afforded to individual notes within chords.
http://assets.celemony.com/win/Preview_DNA_win_high.wmvhttp://assets.celemony.com/mac/Preview_DNA_mac_best.movhttp://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna&L=0I can't even begin to comprehend this shit.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    waitwaitwaitwaitwait... are they saying you can take a chord sample and split apart all the notes? That doesn't sound possible. Maybe midi info, but not a raw sample. I gotta see more about this cause that can't be right.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude those germans don't play around.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    man this can't be Frickin' possible! if it is it's gonna revolutionize making music as we know it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    holy shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i mean just think about what you can do with this with JUST samples alone

• dayday 9,611 Posts

and will it isolate every note or instrument? there has to be some kind of limitations on the technology because essentially you could strip apart and take out any note, drum or instrument in a sample. That would really be game over.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    German guy: "I began to see that what doesn't work in theory, can work in reality"

Wow, that's.... one hell of a theory!

I don't know about their claims of modified chords being as good sound quality as the original. There are definitely some artifacts. Still impressive.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    when does this drop?

B/W you never have to hire a musician again - AND ABOUT DAMN TIME.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    This is built around the idea of a Fourier analysis. If it melts your face now, think of what it must have seemed like in the 18th century.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

and will it isolate every note or instrument? there has to be some kind of limitations on the technology because essentially you could strip apart and take out any note, drum or instrument in a sample. That would really be game over.
    dude i have no idea how this shit works, haha. all i know is that the original version of their software was pretty mindblowing to begin with and i know they wouldn't come out with some shit like this if it wasn't pretty close to what they demonstrated.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when does this drop?
    fall 08. i think i'm going to take a crash course in the current version of it just so im up on it when it drops

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

I must be dreaming...
    Does this mean that you can take a track apart and get drums, keys, bass separately? Because they mention percussion...

I must be dreaming...
    Does this mean that you can take a track apart and get drums, keys, bass separately? Because they mention percussion...

No - just individual tracks. You can't extract a chord from, say, an entire song with drums, guitar, synth, etc. all playing simultaneously.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That is just insane. I wish they used more examples than just keys and guitar though. Still, give it some time and we'll all be able to pull any song apart in no time. Maybe all we'll ever need is one single Soulja Boy track that we can keep manipulating to infinity.

But changing chords that easily is pretty damn cool.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    yeah, it looks pretty cool. I bet it's not that easy unless it's a digital recording or some other catch. It seems too easy.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ...some other catch. It seems too easy.
    It's probably gonna cost a fortune...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ...some other catch. It seems too easy.
    It's probably gonna cost a fortune...
    http://www.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop.woa/wa/shopEntry?language=en&country=us

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I use the current version, and can attest to the fact that with their tutorials it is insanely easy to use and very intuitive. I scoffed at what i'm using now when I watched the demos, so I have high hopes for this.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The artifacts sound like crap. You guys don't hear it?

There's a reason that this doesn't work in theory.

The software behind it seems really useful, but this is the wrong application IMO. It needs to be used for noise reduction applications.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I have been using Melodyne very basically and it is awesome software.
    The Audio to midi function is pretty awesome. Take a wav file bass loop turn it into midi notes and then import into Ableton etc and drop some vsts on it,

I want to spend more time with it and really get to know it

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    x 2.540.100

Intense. So looking forward to playing around with this.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    This looks incredible..

but is he pronouncing MIDI "mee-dee"?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    when does this drop?
    fall 08. i think i'm going to take a crash course in the current version of it just so im up on it when it drops

I think this is already out in the current version... it looks like that video is a couple years old.

Check the description:
    http://www.pssl.com/Celemony-MELODYNE-3-S-Ultimate-Audio-Editor

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    holy shit.

oh putain!!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    This looks incredible..

but is he pronouncing MIDI "mee-dee"?

Yeah, that was pissing me off too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when does this drop?

I think this is already out in the current version... it looks like that video is a couple years old.

Check the description:
    http://www.pssl.com/Celemony-MELODYNE-3-S-Ultimate-Audio-Editor
    Uh, that video was released yesterday. That PSSL link looks like they updated their site to reflect the future Melodyne update.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I dont understand how it can decide which note contains which frequencys and how it can deal with overlaps. It either comes with built in ideas of what certain notes on certain instruments contain frequency wise... or it simply synthesizes the notes rather than actually separating them... which i guess makes sense but wouldn't sound normal. How bout chords that are processed before the recording interface? Shit seems really fishy to me.

I bet this program misses out on all sorts of harmonics and shit. This still doesn't make any sense to me... and I graduated with a recording arts degree. (not that thats saying much)

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I agree, this has been puzzling me since i read it...

Brian - do you have any beats online? Often hear you talking about music equipment but you're one of the few beatmakers on here who's stuff i've never heard, no worries if not...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I agree, this has been puzzling me since i read it...

Brian - do you have any beats online? Often hear you talking about music equipment but you're one of the few beatmakers on here who's stuff i've never heard, no worries if not...
    I never finish anything worth posting and I have a job that gives me a lot of internet time...