Melodyne: Direct Note Access (facemelt related)

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It doesn't miss any of the harmonics. Deriving the actual notes in a chord or from a complex piece of music is fairly straightforward (though they have implemented it very well).

What gets left out are the imperfections. Harmonic distorition. I want to hear this software try to work on some long reverb tails.

This would be really useful if you wanted to, say, take the bells out of Mardi Gras, because to my knowledge the fourier analysis in most current noise removal applications is implemented much differently (FFT).

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Jesus Christ...this is nuts.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    F
    U
    U
    U
    U
    U
    U
    U
    C
    K

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I was just thinking, anyone find it hilarious that THIS of all things could be one of the biggest things bringing sampled based hip hop back?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    pretty amazing.
    still - i have used melodyne and the note detection has its problem, when the sample is not really "clear"; guess it will be the same here.
    any reverb, scratch noise etc will affect it.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I was just thinking, anyone find it hilarious that THIS of all things could be one of the biggest things bringing sampled based hip hop back?
    I'm just wondering if technically by using this to switch certain notes within a given loop you become an "Arranger" and not prosecutable according to sample laws...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm just wondering if technically by using this to switch certain notes within a given loop you become an "Arranger" and not prosecutable according to sample laws...

I guess you could rejig and earn yourself songwriting credits if the result is different enough. And it doesn't even have to be that different to qualify as a new composition... not sure how it would work in terms of instrumental credits.

This programme looks amazing. Shazam used similar technology for their mobile song identifier service in terms of breaking down elements within songs but I don't think they ever thought of going in this direction.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The artifacts sound like crap. You guys don't hear it?

There's a reason that this doesn't work in theory.

The software behind it seems really useful, but this is the wrong application IMO. It needs to be used for noise reduction applications.

This LSD works like crap. You fools don't see it?

I suppose some long-hairs might be having fun with it, but that's the wrong use for this stuff. We need to use it as a truth serum.

b/w

I didn't watch the clips, but was anyone watching out for RZA? You know he's up in this (where's that invented it graemlin?)...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This is built around the idea of a Fourier analysis. If it melts your face now, think of what it must have seemed like in the 18th century.
    All music editing filters and image editing products are based on Fourier Analysis. This is nothing new.

In fact, in my third year of engineering physics we built image processors (really simple ones, but one that are in photoshop) using fourier analysis techniques on images. The application to audio is even easier.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

It's possible, I suppose. Theoretically, you could use this to alter the actual musical structure of a sample in a completely different way from chopping or filtering. You might then be able to argue that you haven't infringed the copyright within the song because what you've come up no longer resembles that song, musically speaking. Unauthorised use of the master would probably still be actionable under existing copyright law. It should certainly make for an interesting test case when someone flips an easily identifiable sample with it and gets called out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Question: could this be used as a more advanced form of AutoTune, thus allowing really bad, off-pitch singers to suddenly sound like Mariah and Whitney's love child protoge?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I still get the feeling that it's not really as practical as some are hoping it to be. I bet it doesn't work well on samples. That guitar part they use is really clean. I wonder if record static or surface noise would throw it all off.

I'm not seeing anyone really do anything with this in the terms that people are hoping for. If someone can prove me wrong i would love it, but I bet it's just going to be more of a "correct your live playing" thing than a "take apart all your favorite recordings" thing. I know the guy is saying that in theory it doesn't work, but in reality it actually does. I just have a hard time believing it's use will carry over into how hip hop producers would want to rearrange samples. I'll wait for the video proving me wrong on that one.

Question: could this be used as a more advanced form of AutoTune, thus allowing really bad, off-pitch singers to suddenly sound like Mariah and Whitney's love child protoge?

I'm sure it could, although I imagine the existing Melodyne software already has this covered to some extent. Of course, sub-par or bad singers who rely on Melodyne in the studio already risk being found out in a live environment (unless you can use that shit on the fly in concert), but I can't imagine anyone would seriously want to waste money using it to cover up the considerable shortcomings of someone who genuinely could not sing at all.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    you can totally use autotune live, i bet you could use this too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't imagine anyone would seriously want to waste money using it to cover up the considerable shortcomings of someone who genuinely could not sing at all.

Do you listen to the radio? Sayin!

• If you are not making good music now, you still won't be after you purchase this for $600.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Yes, and you can even add vibrato.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    If you are not making good music now, you still won't be after you download the torrent.

I can't imagine anyone would seriously want to waste money using it to cover up the considerable shortcomings of someone who genuinely could not sing at all.

Do you listen to the radio? Sayin!

Hahaha! I know what you mean, but would someone have used that on, say, William Hung in the hope of convincing the wider public that, hey, the American Idol thing was just a shtick - really, this guy sounds like Usher?

If you're talking about someone like Paris Hilton, I don't think that's a trick that Warners are gonna get away with twice. Like Thes seems to be suggesting, you put crap in, you're still gonna get crap out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If you are not making good music now, you still won't be after you purchase this for $600.

Maybe some truth there, but what about the 14 year old that's never seen an sp1200, but has a powerful pc at home and has nothing to do but fuck with buttons?

Wild shit coming down the pipe sooner or later...

• I think you guys are totally missing the science on this product.
    I am fairly convinced it won't be able to do shit to record samples UNLESS the only thing in the sample is A guitar or A piano. A recording with numerous instruments, harmonic distortion, etc. will be useless with this program, because it is just picking off FREQUENCIES not INSTRUMENTS. the program will not be able to listen to your CTI raer and isolate Ron Carters notes to change just those if other frequencies events are covering it up.

Notice that they didn't play "a whole song" in the demo.

great if you own the big fish audio sample catalogue and need your 1001 Ethnic drums of Kenya repitched.

No thanks.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Well, unless you're a tuvan throat singer, you can't have a polyphonic voice

This will instantly become a "sound" when it drops though. You thought Cher "believe" got old quick!!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I think you guys are totally missing the science on this product.
    I am fairly convinced it won't be able to do shit to record samples UNLESS the only thing in the sample is A guitar or A piano. A recording with numerous instruments, harmonic distortion, etc. will be useless with this program, because it is just picking off FREQUENCIES not INSTRUMENTS. the program will not be able to listen to your CTI raer and isolate Ron Carters notes to change just those if other frequencies events are covering it up.

Basically. The instrument doesn't need to be "a piano" but it needs to be solo, isolated from other instruments. So you're right in that you won't be able to extract single notes of instruments from chords when they're buried in an entire song.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I think it will be very Frickin' useful-and not just to sample cd types. Think of all the solo'ed piano, rhodes, guitar, string, and vocal harmony chords in your record collection (or from those multitrack sessions floating around!). You could take a track you've made entirely on keyboard and replace all your sounds with early seventies burro. Yes please.

• could take a track you've made entirely on keyboard

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

great if you own the big fish audio sample catalogue and need your 1001 Ethnic drums of Kenya repitched.

Ironically I was just thinking that I needed those repitched. I've grown tired of the stock status and want to take my Ethnic drums of Kenya to THE NEXT LEVEL!!!!!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Yes, and you can even add vibrato.

Melismadyne???

• A recording with numerous instruments, harmonic distortion, etc. will be useless with this program, because it is just picking off FREQUENCIES not INSTRUMENTS.

I'm more interested in seeing what sort of weird-ass sounds this thing will produce if you throw non-tonal & multi-instrument samples at it. Sometimes the most interesting sounds come from a device or program doing something it wasn't designed to do, yaoming?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    could take a track you've made entirely on keyboard

Im not talking about Laffy Taffy, Thes.

Made all on a keyboard and plug-ins:

Do I wish i could replace the strings with the real deal? of course. Adding some ahmad jamal chords underneath my rhodes sound? Why not. This thing will make that possible. Frickin' dope. I dont know why this isnt exciting some of you.

• because putting in Ahmad Jamal chords will nto work liek the sample cd crap they use in the demo. I don't know, I saw it in person and was not impressed, but just my two cents.