How do you like Blackalicious?

2»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    their live shows are off the hook, hands down.

I've never seen a "pro" cup the mic as much as gift. the whole show sounded like the teacher from charlie brown.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I checked out that Digable Planets and People Under The Stairs show last week.

FILE UNDER
    People that don't even like rap music...

I didn't go to Digable...I backed out (thankfully). PUTS is for people who've been[/b] liking rap music since dudes where having hackey-sack cyphers with a Alice In Chains soundtrack.

P.S. It was PUTS, Giant Panda, and Crown City Rockers

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I don't know why, but I can't even listen to Melodica that much. I listen to it every once in a while, but the music is just tooooo releaxed. I didn't buy any of their newer stuff. I listened to the records at record stores and on the internet, but decided that I don't need their vinyl. They have a signature sound and style, but overall, the music doesn't catch my attention. There are no surprising elements.

The strange thing is, that I can't definitely tell why I don't like them that much. The beats are cool and the lyrics are nice! Maybe it's the production overall. Don't know for sure.

The Quannum label is rad! I met Quannum fans! But they weren't as hardcore as Stonesthrow or Anticon fans (I've sold an Anticon LP for 90 US Dollars last week!!!).

OLSKI, ARE YOU GOING TO BE AT THE "JUICY BEATS" FESTIVAL IN DORTMUND ON JULY,30th? I'd like to talk to you!

No weay. I djed there two years ago and was there last year with Lefties Soul Connection. 80% of the festival is house and techno and I didn't enjoyed the atmosphere. But I'??m not a festival person at all. Drop me a mail,

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The only stuff I have is Nia and Blazing Arrow. I really like both those albums. I also really like the songs like A-G & Chemical Calestetics or whatever it is. As far as I am concerned, they are easily one of my fave groups of recent times. Gab & Lateef came & played a couple years ago & were awesome. Although I thought some of the Nia stuff suffered live through not having a female vocalist recreate the parts. I also heard that Gab's solo stuff is great, although I haven't listened to it for myself.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Fried.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Anyone dig the Latyrx album or no? That one a long with Melodica kind of became my favorite Solesides/Quannum releases. Spectrum is another favorite.

I used to be into Quannum, but they got a little bit too "braggadocious" for me (a la Gab), however, its not all that big of deal. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way.

I wasn't really feeling the Gab solo release, he just seemed a bit stale on the mic for me.. buuut, I am sure he comes nicely on the new one. The LB solo I liked, the remix album was all right.. people liked it more than the regular version. Lifesavas are nice, actually kind of looking forward to their next release.

So Quannum has added four artists/groups to their label.. Curumin, Apsci, Pigeon John, and I forget the other..

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Anyone dig the Latyrx album or no?
    YES!

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

real speak!

did Quannum sell their catalogue to Coca Cola or something? Talk bout selling out.

don't front anna i happen to know you loooove diet coke.

anna, i love them joints too!!

Anyone dig the Latyrx album or no?

wow. i used to try to juggle doubles of "Lady Don't Tek No" every time i did a house party. i made it my girl-dj anthem for a minute. it made me feel righteous (and pretty). later i interned as their promotions assistant (pre-Nia).... lots of free lunches and promos. we only listened to roots reggae in the office. kind of a sweet deal.

admittedly i haven't played much of their stuff since 2000. but still... those guys at Quannum are some of the nicest folks around. Tom and Joyo are purely generous. all those dudes from LifeSavas are hella kind. Gab is gracious. Xcel is sweet. and Lateef knows he's pretty.

i hope the Coca Cola people are paying them out the nose.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've always liked Blackalicious: Melodica, A to G, NIA, Blazing Arrow - the whole catalog. But somehow I just don't put the records on that often, and I think the reason is Gab himself. While I recognize his skills hands-down, I just don't dig his voice and delivery 100%, which is why I don't really dig "Rocketships???" either. Too much squeaky nerd-flow in the long run. Same goes for Lateef. The Maroons EP is dope, though, as well as the old Latyrx LP. And this leads me to my Quannum favorite: LYRICS BORN.

When I heard "Burnt Pride" from that album the first time, I was completely blown away, moreso than by the 50/50 joints with Lateef, which are often a bit self-indulgent. LB's solo shit is bangin' and "Later That Day" is an end-to-end burner, a mainstay in my DJ crate along with the yellow-vinyl Muzappers 12". The remix of Lady Don't Tek No is still FIYAH. Lyrics Born has got the nerd flow going on as well, but I just feel his gruff drunk-funky flow a lot more than Gab's. And don't sleep on his production skills either!!!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    blackalicious is very good. peace, stein

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Blackalicious got soul. Granted, most people seem to agree that Melodica is their best effort, I still think 'Nia', 'A2G', and 'Blazing' are solid ep/albums. This is coming from a biased fan of Chief Xcel, though. I think he's quite underrated. The Craft is highly anticipated on my end. Anyone hear it yet? Can it be found on soulseek yet?

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Say what you want about their collected body of work, but noone in the entire world can front on "Make you feel that way". Final.

(Commence fronting)

- J

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Say what you want about their collected body of work, but noone I>in the entire world/I> can front on "Make you feel that way". Final.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Say what you want about their collected body of work, but noone I>in the entire world/I> can front on "Make you feel that way". Final.

hahahahahahah

Nah, Im with ya.. "make you feel that way" is pretty nice.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

- J

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I love how "Make You Feel That Way" pitches up a little, about half-way through the song.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    The remix of Lady Don't Tek No is still FIYAH.

hot damn ho here we go again....

• awallawall 673 Posts
    i still can enjoy A2G and melodica. i revisted nia a while ago and it was butt.

anyone else think gift of gab sounds like a posi-rap e-40?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    gift of gab sounds like a posi-rap e-40?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    They are a group that I like a grat deal, but I dont find myself listening to entire albums. Every LP has has a bunch of good tracks and a few GREAT tracks. Melodica is great all the way through. Every album has been sounding more and more "produced", ie slicker production, less rough edges. I thought Blazing Arrow had a few great tracks that if they had been made/mixed circa Melodica, would be classics, but suffered from some of the life getting sucked out of them.

Some of my favorites were:

Trouble/Eve of Destruction - Some of Gab's best verses

Do This My Way - seeing this one live on really loud system, an amped up crowd and all three MC's (Gab/Lateef/LB) was a defining moment in my Quannum appreciation.

First In Flight - Used to great effect when I mix it into Soon by My Bloody Valentine

And I like A to G better than the first half of Alphabet Aerobics. I think they incorporate the two of them live, although the fast rapping in not very intelligible. At one point I thought he was spouting gibberish and hoping no one would notice

As echoed above, the whole Quannum camp are all really class people. I love to see them getting some exposure, even if it involves using their music to sell caffeinated sugar water in exchange for large amounts of cash. Lyrics Born is hilarious in person. Seeing Tom and Josh going back and forth in the studio had me in tears laughing and made my belly hurt.

Mike

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

Thoro-est jpg game ever, holy shit that was funny.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I don't know- they've always been one of those groups that seems to have all the ingriedients but it just doesn't hit me in the gut the way it should.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    my favorite Blackalicious album is NIA. the total package has something special. Blazing Arrow is awesome as well. Must say that it sounds a bit too much r&b every now and then.

Regarding the craft:
    Check the June 27 news @ solesides.com to download a mono (+ low quality) version of the first 12" called "rhythm sticks"

I guess The Craft is gonna be a straight forward, raw hiphop album with some dope Xcel beats and even so rhymes from Gab.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    perhaps this might be interesting for some of you as well; Gab and Xcel did an interview with a Dutch radioshow. It's not a what you call 'in depth' interview, but you can hear some sounds from the upcoming album. check the solesides July 18 news

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    my favorite Blackalicious album is NIA. the total package has something special. Blazing Arrow is awesome as well. Must say that it sounds a bit too much r&b every now and then.

Regarding the craft:
    Check the June 27 news @ solesides.com to download a mono (+ low quality) version of the first 12" called "rhythm sticks"

I guess The Craft is gonna be a straight forward, raw hiphop album with some dope Xcel beats and even so rhymes from Gab.

It's not what I call a raw hip-hop-album. Music-wise it sounds very band-like but not in a good way. it also the most mainstream-sounding of their albums. Too rock-orientated on the arrangements side of things for me. The only track that i realy like is "Black Diamonds & Pearls" which is also the most r&b like track using some Lauryn Hill.

The interview I did was fine. They gave me a bit of a hard time when I told them that i don't dig the new album but that's fair enough.