How do you like Blackalicious?

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
I'm doing an interview with the guys tomorrow in Amsterdam and was wondering about their status on Soul Strut.

Their new album "The Craft" will be released in late September. I have listened to it five times know and still not feeling it. One could hate on it as an alternative BEP. Not that it is overall "commercial" and cheesy but all the way musical and with some more "experimental" tracks that could appeal to Radiohead fans. I've never been a big Quannum fan record-wise but always had a lot of respect for them in terms of how they do their thing. I was also wondering why the label and most groups on it have such a low profile. They've doing their thing for more than 10 years, have stayed independent and releasing quality music all the time. But they are not half as hip as Stones Throw and i still have to meet an hardcore Quannum fan.

Tracklist "The Craft"

1. The World Of Vibration (featuring Ledisi)
2. Supreme People
3. Rhythm Sticks
4. Powers
5. Side to Side (featuring Lateef & Pigeon John)
6. Lotus Flower (featuring George Clinton)
7. Automatique (featuring Floetry)
8. The Fall & Rise Elliot Brown Parts 1 & 2
9. The Fall & Rise of Elliot Brown Part 3 (Black Diamonds & Pearls) [featuring Ledisi & Larry Saunders]
10. Cry
11. Your Move (featuring Life Savas)
12. Give It To You (featuring Kween & Lyrics Born)
13. In The Days To Come
14. Egosonic War Drums (featuring Peace)
15. Dance of Firefly

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Blackalicious circa Melodica =

Blackalicious circa Quannum =

Although I'm told the Maroons & Gift of Gab solos are dope.

h

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Melodica = best hip-hop EP of all time. They could've retired after that one. All the dopeness since then (and admittedly it has not all been dope) is just icing on the cake.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Yeah, Medodica is a really nice one.

After that though,kinda downhill.

Amazingly though, I did feel NIA. It hasnt stood the test of time, but there are a few tracks from it I still listen to.

Everything else is bland and boring, but people seem to like it so more power to them. Oh and by the way, my friends girlfriend loves BEP's and Blackalicious, and that is all the "rap" she likes.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    9. The Fall & Rise of Elliot Brown Part 3 (Black Diamonds & Pearls) [featuring Ledisi & Larry Saunders[/b]]

WHAT??? i gotta hear this on the strength.

I still like the A to G EP

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I liked "Blazing Arrow" too.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

7. Automatique (featuring Floetry)

no floetry for me, thanks.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

real speak!
    did Quannum sell their catalogue to Coca Cola or something? Talk bout selling out.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I still like the A to G EP

I forgot this one - quality

real speak!
    did Quannum sell their catalogue to Coca Cola or something? Talk bout selling out.

don't front anna i happen to know you loooove diet coke.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Melodica = best hip-hop EP of all time. They could've retired after that one. All the dopeness since then (and admittedly it has not all been dope) is just icing on the cake.

Not that it wasn't a good record but wow! What about NWA "100 Miles and Runnin"? I'm sure there are many others.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I haven't really listened since it came out but I enjoyed that one at the time (but it seemed like no one else did!)... the instrumental version was cool cuz they had all that live band stuff on there...

I like the Gab solo record...

Never got into Nia... obviously the EPs are cool...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Yeah. They shouldn't have made "Melodica" so darn good. Everything after it was bound to suck... and, for the most part, it does.

That's an over-statement kinda.

Truth be told, I've felt some of their shit here and there, but I feel like as they've tried to make more and more "soulful" sounding shit they just wind up sounding more and more "soul-less." And the gimmicky word play crap like "A to the G" and that awful, embarassing "Chemical Calisthetics" thing are just the cheesiest fucking things in the world.

I definitely don't check for 'em, but "Melodica" is close to flawless.

-e

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Gil Scott Heron collabo was dope on Blazing Arrow.

They're ok. I was thinking recently listening to World Ultimate that The Nonce was proto-Blackalicious. Downside of Blackalicious is dude's nerdflow. Big example is their "chemistry themed song" on Blazing Arrow. Shit can be grating/annoying.
    T.N.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't know why, but I can't even listen to Melodica that much. I listen to it every once in a while, but the music is just tooooo releaxed. I didn't buy any of their newer stuff. I listened to the records at record stores and on the internet, but decided that I don't need their vinyl. They have a signature sound and style, but overall, the music doesn't catch my attention. There are no surprising elements.

The strange thing is, that I can't definitely tell why I don't like them that much. The beats are cool and the lyrics are nice! Maybe it's the production overall. Don't know for sure.

The Quannum label is rad! I met Quannum fans! But they weren't as hardcore as Stonesthrow or Anticon fans (I've sold an Anticon LP for 90 US Dollars last week!!!).

OLSKI, ARE YOU GOING TO BE AT THE "JUICY BEATS" FESTIVAL IN DORTMUND ON JULY,30th? I'd like to talk to you!

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

I'm feeling a certain way too ;-)

Thanks for all of your comments so far!!!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Ask them about the japanese 12" they have. There is supposed to be some stupid rare 12" of theirs that was only issued in japan, and pressed in numbers so low that even members of Quannum didnt get any. Has anyone else heard about this?

...and yeah, Melodica and A2G are the only ones worth having. The remixes of Reanimation are dope though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

They're ok.Downside of Blackalicious is dude's nerdflow.

• I liked "Blazing Arrow" too.

i still listen to this end to end on the regular. i'm a fan of just about everything they've done. the collabs on the new one don't look to exciting to me, but i am still eager to hear it all.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i likey.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They are all real nice. You will have fun doing the interview.

Don't the label owners release their stuff on Capitol?

I can't comment on their artistic merit, but it seems natural to me that if you have musical talent you are going to want to move away from rap to something more soulful. (Which is what I think they have been doing in recent years.) I would discuss their love of soul, psych and jazz and see what old stuff they are listening too these days.

X is always searching and listening for young talent so I would ask him who he hears that is unknown but coming up.

Dan

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    1).Not to be on homeboys nuts, but I really liked Gift of Gabs solo LP. The beats Jake One and Vitamin D MADE Gab become a dope rapper (flow, content, vocals etc..)

2).Lifesavas anyone? I'm feelin' those dudes more than anyone else.

3). I would sell my music to soda commercials, who gives a fuck.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Surprised no one has mentioned Quannum Spectrum, that album is still awesome IMO. Shadow on production and all the Quannum kids bringing their A game sounds good to me any day.

Co-sign on Lifesavas, they are the only thing good coming out of Quannum now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    2).Lifesavas anyone? I'm feelin' those dudes more than anyone else.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    i still have to meet an hardcore Quannum fan.

you just did. I personally really dig all the quannum stuff - minus some of the tracks off the "Spectrum" compilation. But Lyrics Born kills it, the Maroons LP is banging, Lifesavas grew on me after a couple of listens, and the Gift of Gab solo was a grower too. I feel like they are 'grown man' hip hop, and their live shows are off the hook, hands down.

the Maroons LP

Do you mean the EP or am I sleeping?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    [quotetheir live shows are off the hook, hands down.

FILE UNDER

People that don't even like rap music...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i likes.

not too crazy about their direction as people have said, but i was a little scared after NIA -which i loved. i thought blazing arrow was just gunna suck when looking at all the collabs and such, but i really thought they did a good job of encorporating everybody's styles. plus "Make You Feel That Way" is a really really tight track. see also: Brain Washers

• They are all real nice.

Excel came off to me as one of the biggest assholes ever. it sucks cause i was a fan of alot of their shit previous.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I checked out that Digable Planets and People Under The Stairs show last week.

FILE UNDER
    People that don't even like rap music...