THE WIRE R.I.P.

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Always better than I expected.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i havent seen a single episode but i have all 5 seasons on dvd. i cant wait to dive in!!!!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    So great tonight.... loved the semi-false endings and long montages of the city scenes.... everything makes you just go "of course, how could it be any other way". Some good people got screwed, some bad people didnt. but some stuff worked out right. just enough.

• Hopefully this show will help launch some great careers.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i was really sad when the episode ended. no show can take its place....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i was happy to have closure.
    felt it got tied up rather well
    the fake ending with scenes of baltimore was amazing.
    props to all of em for some timeless shit

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    So, parallels-wise...

Greggs => McNulty
    Michael => Omar
    Sydnor => Freamon?
    Dukie => Bubs (pre-clean, of course)
    Slim => Joe?
    Chris => Wee-Bey?

Nothing serious and I'm really not trying to read into too much, but I think it's safe to say that some of these were intentional.

Also, upon my second viewing, I realized that the kids Marlo stepped to were talking about The Legend Of Omar. Was his crossing the street an ego trip?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Hopefully this show will help launch some great careers.

I seriously hope so. Other programs could take many hints. It's been mentioned, but I wish more shows were realistically diverse.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    what made it a semi-false or fake ending? You're making feel like I missed something after the credits. Did I?

Or are you talking about the fact that the credit music started to roll, but it wasn't over yet and ran through the montage?

I enjoyed the finale, but I am mad at Duqwan's outcome. Fuck that.

when they started showing all the scenes of baltimore after the first hour, it started to feel like an outro. amazing shots.

i guess that was dooks destiny. funny that him and randy were probably the brightest of the crew and ended tragically. namond ended up having the most academic promise. and mike gets to walk the path of street legends

what made it a semi-false or fake ending? You're making feel like I missed something after the credits. Did I?

Or are you talking about the fact that the credit music started to roll, but it wasn't over yet and ran through the montage?

I enjoyed the finale, but I am mad at Duqwan's outcome. Fuck that.

I think they meant the cityscape montage that they showed right before Carcetti's advisor asked Daniels to juke the stats. I didn't take it as a false ending, just a way to show that many days & nights had passed.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    ok, I see what you're talking about. Did anyone else think that scene from the city shots with the sun going down and the pipe floating in the water was creepy? It seemed out of place to me, maybe how it was sped up. It looked like some shit out of apocalypse now, like some dude with a snorkel about to pop up out of the water and kill someone.

Some notes:

McNulty suicide prophets were like "Vindicated, son!", only to realize ain't nothing going to happen to McNutty.

Levy all of a sudden says "kiddo" in every scene.

David Simon cameo in the newsroom.

I'm still mad about Duquan.

Anyone notice the prisoner follow Herc after he was invited to dinner at Levy's? Seemed like he heard Levy's whole "you made me rich kiddo" speech and was going to tell Marlo or someone else. Just seemed weird how the guy followed him. Maybe nothing at all.

Sydnor at the end was that shadowing McNulty or Freamon or a combo? Seemed like a rehash of McNulty in season 1, but he's got Lester qualities.

i dint really catch what sydnor was saying to the judge
    but yeah...lester like in composure and willingness to "color outside the lines"

herc definitely deserved a bullet

i don thtink that inmate was nothing. i think it was a big white female or a yeti

David Simon cameo in the newsroom.

What scene? I missed that.

Anyone notice the prisoner follow Herc after he was invited to dinner at Levy's? Seemed like he heard Levy's whole "you made me rich kiddo" speech and was going to tell Marlo or someone else. Just seemed weird how the guy followed him. Maybe nothing at all.

Yeah, I saw that too. I took a second look to see if I could recognize him. Thought maybe it might've been a past character.

simon was in a cubicle for a quick second

i thought the body that kima and bunk were leaning over was going to be another loose sstring, tied up

i dint really catch what sydnor was saying to the judge
    but yeah...lester like in composure and willingness to "color outside the lines"

Seemed to me like he was pressing the judge to "follow the money." He's got Lester's determination, that's for sure.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

i thought the body that kima and bunk were leaning over was going to be another loose sstring, tied up

We saw Simon as a reporter in season 2 as well. I didn't catch him here but I'm not surprised he would slip in. The body for Kima and Bunk could have been anybody, I really felt like they were deliberately obfuscating the view to make you wonder if it was Duquan. The significant point from that scene, seemed to be the "there you go giving a shit when it's not your turn" line.

herc definitely deserved a bullet

I ain't really mad at Herc. Yeah, he's kind of big ol' goofy dimbulb, but he stayed loyal to his friend Carver. That's what matters to him.

What I want to know is...

WHERE'S THAT DAMN CAMERA?!?!

It would've been dope if the very last scene was the camera on the police rooftop surrounded by beer cans. Actually, you know what? In my Private Mind Garden, that WAS the last scene.

Was he the one saying "fuck fuck fuck" and eating the cottage cheese?

hahahaaa...that wwould have been perfect

about time:

Was he the one saying "fuck fuck fuck" and eating the cottage cheese?

Nevermind, I found him. Just after Carcetti's press conference announcing Rawls' and Daniels' new appointments (right after the hour mark).

Oh yeah, I love how McNulty solved his last case ever in like 10 seconds.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Levy all of a sudden says "kiddo" in every scene.

hahahaha...noticed this too, that's some funny shit. The sit down bartering scene between Pearlman and Levy was too ill! As well as McNutty finally calling out fake ass reporter dude.

• simon was in a cubicle for a quick second

We saw Simon as a reporter in season 2 as well. I didn't catch him here but I'm not surprised he would slip in. The body for Kima and Bunk could have been anybody, I really felt like they were deliberately obfuscating the view to make you wonder if it was Duquan. The significant point from that scene, seemed to be the "there you go giving a shit when it's not your turn" line.

They were also at the location where the witness from D'Angelo's trial was killed in Season One.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What a great finale.

I understood the fate of Duquan - I mean, of course I am mad at it... but it's not as if we didn't see this coming a mile away. They had to show how addiction starts with a young man and after everyone kicked him to the curb, he had nothing left.

I thought it was a more honest way to end his character, rather than having him back in school or whatever. Dukie never had anything - he was always the outcast and the one who couldn't hack it at anything else. The runt if you will.

LOVED Marlo's ending. Just like "yeah... that rush."

Who cheered when Slim popped Cheese?? I did

I loved Simon popping up in a final newsroom scene, kind of saying "yeah if I had it my way I'd still be writing for you guys."

The ending montages of the city were beautiful. I loved the pacing of the semi-final city montage (as if to say "yeah... it ain't over muthafuckas... SWITCH") and the final shots of regular folks.... life goes on. Baltimore goes on.

I'll watch it again today as I'm home sick as a dog. More to follow.

VINDICATED?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Sydnor at the end was that shadowing McNulty or Freamon or a combo? Seemed like a rehash of McNulty in season 1, but he's got Lester qualities.

No he was shadowing McNulty from the first 5 minutes from season 1 - Jimmy goes to see the judge after D'Angelo's acquittal and talks some shit which gets the judge which he eventually helps by putting the wiretap up, starting the ball rolling with Major Crimes. Very nice way, along with so many of the ending parallels at the end of it, to signify that "things go on."

Excellent ending. Wrapped it up very well - as much as could have been. Glad Bubs made it out alive.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Fonzie Kafka"

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Despite all the hopeful signs at the end, like Bubs sitting down to dinner with his sister, Duquan's ending bothered me the most. I'm not so much mad as sad -- damn, what a tragedy. He was the kid I was rooting for the most in Season 4, and look at what happened to him. Why the hell couldn't Prezbo take Dukie under his wing -- it didn't take a genius to see he couldn't survive on the streets by himself.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I just need to know the name of the actress that was playing Lesters wife...