People at bars who read novels, study for exams...

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
prepare spreadsheets, etc...Who the hell are you people and why don't you know what coffee shops are?

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    fuck that what about the person at the gym reading the novel on the tread mill machine. get they ass off and go read in a damn library, ive been waiting 30 minutes to use that damn thing.....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    prepare spreadsheets, etc...

Who the hell are you people and why don't you know what coffee shops are?

cant be very effective

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

probably embarrassed of being there by themselves so they act like they're oing something else...same ish with the laptops...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There were a couple of live shows at bars that I went to
    where I couldn't get anyone to go with me and I just brought
    a book and read it at the bar with a beer between bands.
    Plenty of people were looking at me just like I'm sure you
    look at the people you are posting about. Not a big deal.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    What were you reading?

What were you reading?

Probably some dime-store mystery.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

though I don't do it often, I sometimes study at a pub, usually if I am waiting for someone and I'm in the area. My reason for not going to a coffee shop is that I don't drink coffee. In my mind, nothing beats abstract algebra with a pint of sleemans.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

probably embarrassed of being there by themselves so they act like they're oing something else...same ish with the laptops...

yeah, this sucks. i dont really go to bars cuz i keep my jack in my cabinet, but i do like to eat out by myself. except i dont read, so i just sit there trying to pretend that there's something really interesting on the ceiling until my food comes. its not as easy as it looks.

probably embarrassed of being there by themselves so they act like they're doing something else...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    normally i would say that im not embarassed about it. however, no one eats alone in LA. no one does anything alone in la. NO ONE. its kinda lame actually.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts

Wow you sound like a complete duck

Maybe if it was you at the bar with a laptop

Plus, alot of coffee shops arent 24 hours

I was at a bar with a friend last night, scanned the room, we saw this dude grading exams with headphones on in the corner. Was like man, that dude is cool.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    person at the gym reading the novel on the tread mill machine.

This is one of the most pathetic sights.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

though I don't do it often, I sometimes study at a pub, usually if I am waiting for someone and I'm in the area. My reason for not going to a coffee shop is that I don't drink coffee. In my mind, nothing beats abstract algebra with a pint of sleemans.

I did this all the time when I lived in London. Just grab a couple of books, notepad and a couple of pints. I wrote some of my best essays at the pub, plus you used to be able to smoke in the pubs. Usually on a weeknight so it was never too crazy, met some fine ladies as well....

• Dogs, reading at bars is a PLEASURE. If you need to kill time, it's great- and not nearly as isolating as you might think. It is a great way to start conversation.

Please. Don't front. This sounds very inexperienced. Bars are for so much more than just getting drunk.

• I don't get why so many people are hung up on doing things alone.

That being said, if I got no one to break bread with, I'll grab it to go and save money on the tips.

I can see reading or computing in a bar...some people just like to be at bars. They are exceedingly cooler than coffee shops, by and large.

Some cats don't like seeing movies alone....what, you talk to yr friends throughout the movie?

Some cats don't like seeing movies alone....what, you talk to yr friends throughout the movie?

I prefer going to see movies alone.
    Well, old movies and stuff I obsess over I do.
    I like going with need friends to see X-Men
    or some Will Ferrell shit.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

right, its more of the "act" of going alone to see a movie, then really seeing it alone.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Some valid points have been brought up. Others confirmed my suspicion that these are just props to meet girls or make new friends; which is fine. But still, I can't imagine being very productive in the dark, noisy, smokey caverns a lot of bars tend to be. But who knows? maybe its worth a shot...

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I actually end up drawing alot in bars, so now I always have a notebook & pen handy.

Perhaps its because when i'm working hard at the crib I alway have music playing loudly and a bottle of wine/scotch. So a subconscious connection maybe?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Why do you care what people do at bars? Just makes no sense.

Why do you care what people do at bars? Just makes no sense.

I assumed he was trying for:

"observational humor"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

We are alcoholics. Leave us alone.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    people get shit done whenever and whereever they can...my girl was the merch person for this(you can actually see her for one whole second at 1:40) and she studied and read during the whole thing, I dont know how she could but she did...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Why?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Ha ha ha ha...

I stopped at the neighborhood pub recently for a nightcap and there was a cat next to me sipping a Jameson, chasing it with a guinness, and grading papers. I was like, "yeah". That's what I'd do, anyway.

I think there are two types of people in this thread, the kind that make bars interesting and the kind that make bars uninhabitable.

• Who the hell are you people and why don't you know what coffee shops are?

lol

i've definitely been the dude with a book in the bar. i don't really see anything wrong with it. If i know there'll be down time between bands, or if i know that i won't know many people there, or if i know the person i'm meeting will be late... i've also met interesting girls who comment or ask about the book

not that i do it a lot, but i certainly have no shame

then again i usually have some reading material on me. you never know when you'll need to kill some time, and wasting time sitting there doing nothing is a bitch

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Why?

I'm guessing because

A. It means they'll be on the threadmill longer than is reasonable.
    B. They're walking on a threadmill. Not running/jogging. I can't imagine being able to read while running anyway.
    C. SoulOnIce likes to read SS on the threadmill and it's eating into his time.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Ha ha ha ha...

I stopped at the neighborhood pub recently for a nightcap and there was a cat next to me sipping a Jameson, chasing it with a guinness, and grading papers. I was like, "yeah". That's what I'd do, anyway.

I think there are two types of people in this thread, the kind that make bars interesting and the kind that make bars uninhabitable.

Why would any of you care what other people are doing in a bar unless you were playing records there. I happen to enjoy doing my reading at home with my own liquor. But I do all kinds of sheet on my lonesome.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I don't get why so many people are hung up on doing things alone.

Before I met my wife I would generally prefer to do things alone. If you can't enjoy your own company how can you expect anyone else to enjoy it.

I used to have a great corner bar near my apartment and I would spend a lot of time there when I wanted to get out of the house but not really 'go out'. I could watch a game, read the paper and shoot the shit with the rotating cast of bar tenders or the always wasted owner. I miss that place.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i went to Cosi last weekend for lunch with my girl and our entire section was filled with students who were studying textbooks or on their laptops. dowhatchulike...but are we supposed to eat in silence so these fools can have a study hall? i felt like we were in detention.